I need some advice for a new bass amp. I've been using an Acoustic 20w amp for open mic shows at a really tiny bar in my area doing folk rock and country rock covers Recently, we were asked to do a much longer show at a much larger bar (more classic rock covers than folk rock), and I had to borrow a head and cab from a friend of a friend since the PA system wouldn't have been good to go through.

We're set to play another large show at the end of December as well as at least one more in January. We're likely to play between 5-10 big (compared to what I've been playing) shows over the next year. My issue is that I think it's about time that I get an actual bass amp that can work for these shows.

I have a Fender MIM Precision Bass Special (I think that's it's technical name...p and j-bass p-ups). I'll be doing a lot of classic rock covers as well as some folk/country rock.

I have no idea what wattage I should go for other than 100-200 watts. Our drummer really only goes crazy at the ends of our sets, and the other bandmembers assured me that their former bassist had a 100 watt amp and sounded fine. I was at Guitar Center today getting an instrument fixed, and I decided to look at some of their bass amps. I tried out the Ampeg ba115, the Fender Rumble 150, and the Acoustic 200. The Ampeg sounded good, but I couldn't tell with the others because there were too many assholes playing really loudly throughout the store and the guy who was supposed to be helping me left.

Basically, I need some advice as to what amps I should be checking out, what wattage, anything really. I've been trying to stay below $400, but would consider above that if the amp is really good or I couldn't make anything work for less. GC is useless, and so are many of the instrument sites' reviews. Any help?
I'm actually looking into getting the Fender Rumble 150 myself! I've played around with one at a local shop, and I love the tone. Acoustic would probably be good too... I don't have a whole lot of experience with them, but I've only heard great things about them!
Out of the three amps I would get the Acoustic though that's because I'm bit biased toward them.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Ampegs though nice sounding, tend to be priced higher than other gear that sounds as good or better. GK has good combos and heads in the MB series, that are clean and thumpy. 100 watts with a known quieter band, smaller venue or PA support works, but 200 watts is a good standard, you know it will keep up unless your against a wall of marshalls and wailing solos and keith moon and ginger baker backing them up.

Used is a great deal, lots of cheap things on craigslist etc. My main setup is a GK mb200 head 200 watts 2 pounds at 4 ohms and less at 8 ohms, I mainly run it at 8 ohms through a 1x15 at I think somewhere between 100-180 watts, but I can jump to 200 watts with my other 1x15. I also own a peavey Mark IV bass head, and can power 3 1x15's for 300 watts of power and a lot of air.
The Ampeg is a good practice amp, it does have a line out for a PA. By itself it doesnt work well in a large room or outside. The Acoustic is a better choice out of those 3 in my opinion.
Jackson DXMG
Charvel
B-52 AT100
Marshall 1960A
Pedals and stuff
You shouldn't be limiting yourself to a particular range of wattage. Absolutely nothing wrong with having a spare 300-1000 watts at your disposal, volume knobs are great for keeping the volume down.
Definitely look used, trawl your craigslist. Peavey and Hartke are a couple of brands that come up often on the "cheap and loud" side of things. They make nice sounding amps too, especially for that price point.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I think this should be put somewhere but I'll say it again.

The best thing you can do is shop used. Craigslist, pawn shops even Guitar center has a used section. When you are at home shopping, save links to things you like, and google the item you see + review etc. and find a ton of info usually. When your out and about a smart phone does wonders but even a regular cell phone with a camera or just a camera works. Take pictures of every angle, the price etc of your possible buys, go home (or smart phone) and look up the gear. The pictures help for one to show quality, but also many companies have several models over the years of the same piece of gear, and maybe the black tolex model screams, but the grey "transition" period model can't compete.

Thats my 2 cents on making the used market better than the new.

Also it's always good to bring a pocket amp, and cable to test instruments, and have maybe a cab, amp, and guitar/bass to make sure you can test the product as a lot of good sales are from people moving or bankrupt and they have usually sold their gear to the point the head for sale has no cab or cables ot guitar to try it with.
I've played many gigs with an older Fender Bassman 100 with a single 15 inch. Mostly it did fine but I could have used more watts several times. Try not to go less than 200 watts to avoid distorting and clipping. The Acoustic should work great.
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
Quote by rexherring
I've played many gigs with an older Fender Bassman 100 with a single 15 inch. Mostly it did fine but I could have used more watts several times. Try not to go less than 200 watts to avoid distorting and clipping. The Acoustic should work great.

Wish I had that head, I'm picking up a peavey classic 60/60 tube power amp tonight, want to mod it for bridging and bass use, otherwise it's such a good deal I'll just keep it as a practice rig.
I have played the rumbler 150 and it was used and maby thats why but i could not get a good tone it was always to terbely and wimpy no matter what bass i used and and i tried 4 bass's i actually perferd the tone of my rumbler 15 watt and its perty carpy thats just my exprience.
Quote by andreww1996
I have played the rumbler 150 and it was used and maby thats why but i could not get a good tone it was always to terbely and wimpy no matter what bass i used and and i tried 4 bass's i actually perferd the tone of my rumbler 15 watt and its perty carpy thats just my exprience.

I know you've apologized before for your spelling and grammar. So just so you know, I mean this as nice as possible, but is English not your first language or what?
Quote by askrere
I know you've apologized before for your spelling and grammar. So just so you know, I mean this as nice as possible, but is English not your first language or what?

Well, I liked rumble's when i was looking for bass amps, but i looked miore into the 60/75 W range... I ended going used for a 160 watts fender, and i am totally happy with it. there were no acoustic availables (not in Argentina :P) but i can say that ampeg sucks for the cash, has not enough wattage and is extremely pricey... definetly get some other thing.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by askrere

no sadly it is my frist language im just having problems slowing down and spelling correctly. I am trying to work on that yes it is rather imbarising to sound like a retard, you could allways blame it on my genaration and our texting is bad for us but i dont even belive in that i insure you i am not a retard
eBay has numerous Peavey Mark III heads dirt cheap, they are all the power you need to gig with, and finding a suitble Cab should be fairly easy. Before i got my Ampeg SVT i used the Mark III with a Peavey 6x12 Cab, and they did everthing i asked of them with ease.
Gear:
Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Jackson CMG Bass
Ibanez BTB575FM 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg V9 SVT/ Ampeg 8x10 Cab
Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster

Angelus Mortem