Page 1 of 4
How old is the planet and how has this been determined? Is there a global consensus? Do cultures disagree?

My boss thinks the world is 12,000 years old. I told him it was probably more in the region of several billions of years old. But when he pressed me for my sources, I actually realized I have no idea how I know that.

He's wrong, but it kind of freaked me out that I couldn't back this up. So, Pit, how do you know what you know?
When did UG forums open up? I'm pretty sure that's when the Earth was formed.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
About 6000 years I think.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

First time I heard about it I was like 4 or 5 so I'd say about 1996.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Trowzaa

This.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by Trowzaa

This man speaks the truth TS
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Rising

My boss thinks the world is 12,000 years old. I told him it was probably more in the region of several billions of years old. But when he pressed me for my sources, I actually realized I have no idea how I know that.

wait....you really couldn't say the words "the overwhelming majority of scientists have come to the conclusion that the Earth is roughly 4.5 billion years old"?

you also couldn't press him for his sources? i mean, he's your boss and all but i'd love to know where he got his number from.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Old.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
The world as I know it began in 1958.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
The world as I know it began in 1958 BC.

FTFY.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
I am a douche bag.

I agree.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Waterboy799
wait....you really couldn't say the words "the overwhelming majority of scientists have come to the conclusion that the Earth is roughly 4.5 billion years old"?

you also couldn't press him for his sources? i mean, he's your boss and all but i'd love to know where he got his number from.

Yes, but how do they know that? I respect and generally trust the scientific community on the strength that they aren't citing their sources from a book that was written in a time when you were still in danger of being eaten by dinosaurs.

But when it comes down to it I realized I actually don't know very much at all about the science behind what everybody takes as articles of faith. Kind of like how I'm leaning towards "Evolution" over "Adam & Eve", but I could not sit down and explain how it works or how we know how it works.

I know it's my responsibility to do my own research, but I thought I'd stop by here, ask around and share that story.

He cites the bible, by the way.

EDIT: Thank you for the sources.
Last edited by Rising at Dec 3, 2011,
If the earth exists, but nobody is there to watch the clock, does time really pass? 6000 years fact.
Check out my band Disturbed
It's 13.7 billion years old. The Earth is 4-4.5 billion years old.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by StewieSwan
If the earth exists, but nobody is there to watch the clock, does time really pass? 6000 years fact.

of course it does, you fool.
6000 years old, the flood happened about 4300 years ago.
Without a good harmonic knowledge, one cannot expect to become a great jazz soloist ~ Horace Silver

Quote by dietermoreno
Is it possible for 6 string guitar to tune lower than drop C and scales still work?
Quote by hawk5211
So the general populous of UG is Athiest (as shown by the mockery of a religion thread) yet everyone says 6000 years? Confused...

Sarcasm dude.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by hawk5211
So the general populous of UG is Athiest (as shown by the mockery of a religion thread) yet everyone says 6000 years? Confused...

West Ham United
Quote by rickyj
of course it does, you fool.

Prove it. Were you THERE? Did you SEE those years pass? You weren't and you didn't, so get out.
Quote by Rising
How old is the planet and how has this been determined? Is there a global consensus? Do cultures disagree?

He's wrong, but it kind of freaked me out that I couldn't back this up. So, Pit, how do you know what you know?

Is your boss mentally challenged? If not, has he been tested by a clinical psychologist? I mean, he sounds like a fucking retard.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Hmmm... uhhh... by my estimates...

10 years old?
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Pink Floyd

#Ziggy2017
Quote by hawk5211

god damn carbon dating, thats how its done. either accept that, or accept nothing
Quote by StewieSwan
Prove it. Were you THERE? Did you SEE those years pass? You weren't and you didn't, so get out.

If a tree falls in the forest and you're not there to hear it am I still fucking your mom?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
If a tree falls in the forest and you're not there to hear it am I still fucking your mom?

If I don't see it, it didn't happen. Deductive reasoning is a lie created by scientists to get funding for their 'global warming research' and 'biology classes' so they can push their liberal agenda.
Quote by StewieSwan
If I don't see it, it didn't happen. Deductive reasoning is a lie created by scientists to get funding for their 'global warming research' and 'biology classes' so they can push their liberal agenda.

I got videos.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Page 1 of 4