I need some advice on what amplifier head/cabinet I should get. They must sound good with/be able to handle a lot of bottom end and distortion. According to videos of Cannibal Corpse in the studio, I should get a Mesa Triple Rectifier and a Marshall cabinet. Thoughts/second opinions?
Budget: $700
Genres: Thrash/Heavy/Death metal
New/Used: Preferably new
Used for mostly home use, a little bit of gigging.
Current gear: BC Rich Warbeast, D'Addario heavy gauge strings, no pedals/effects.
Last edited by Cannibal018 at Dec 4, 2011,
$700 wont get you a Triple Recto alone, not even bringing the Marshall cab into the equation. Plus, you're going to have to go used if you want to get anything half decent with that budget.

I suggest going for a used Peavey XXX/Ultra + and a decent 2x12 with v30 speakers.
Look at used Orange, Mesa, Avatar and Randall 2x12's, since most of those come stock with v30's.

If you're set on a 4x12, I really would suggest expanding your budget to atleast $1000. Also, don't listen to people telling you that 4x12's are a waste and overkill, it all comes down to personal preference. At the end of the day it is your rig and not theirs.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Last edited by Mopy at Dec 4, 2011,
Quote by Mopy
$700 wont get you a Triple Recto alone, not even bringing the Marshall cab into the equation. Plus, you're going to have to go used if you want to get anything half decent with that budget.

I suggest going for a used Peavey XXX/Ultra + and a decent 2x12 with v30 speakers.
Look at used Orange, Mesa, Avatar and Randall 2x12's, since most of those come stock with v30's.

If you're set on a 4x12, I really would suggest expanding your budget to atleast $1000. Also, don't listen to people telling you that 4x12's are a waste and overkill, it all comes down to personal preference. At the end of the day it is your rig and not theirs.

+1

Thanks TS for the update.

You might as well consider the Bugeras 333 and 333xl as they can be gotten for cheap.
Quote by Mopy

What would you suggest if I had a budget more like $1400? $700 was the budget when I was going to get another guitar, I forgot I had decided against a new axe.
$1400 will allow for so many more greater choices. Depending on if you need/want great cleans, take a look at some used 5150/6505's. They sound absolutely huge and can be picked up for $500 if I can remember correctly. (Sorry, I live on the other side of the world to America! )

I think I've read somewhere that you can pick up a used 2 channel Dual Rectifier for roughly $800-1000 in the states quite easily. Many prefer the 2 channel Dual Recto over the 3 channels since they basically sound bigger, clearer and somewhat more aggressive.

Like I said with cabs, you'll want v30's to keep the mids defined and prominent. Plus, you will want something with a reliable build quality. So keep your eye out for used Orange PPC412's, they're built like tanks and sound amazing for the price. Not sure how much they will run you over in the states, but I'd imagine that they couldn't go for more than $800. Failing to find an Orange, the other option would be to get a Mesa Traditional/Oversized 4x12.
The oversized generally have more bass to their tone and sound more round, but can be really woofy and have uncontrollable bass if you don't go easy on with the bass control on your head.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3