Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
I wholeheartedly agree with everything he said... The school system we have is truly f*cked.
Quote by Somekid94
I wholeheartedly agree with everything he said... The school system we have is truly f*cked.
That's because rather than asking everyone to excel, we ask those who excel to carry those who don't.
That was absolutley brilliant. The speech. I have been saying this for years. Finally it has been summed up in a nifty package with concise thought and a great accent.

The video very much compliments it as well. Suscribed.

There isn't any solution presented, I'm not quite sure on how to fix it or if it even is possible to be replaced. It may be just like communism, sounds great in theory but when applied, just fails miserably in too many ways.
Subbed
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
I swear this has been posted before.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
To anyone that is interested in this, check out Salmon Khan, founder of Khan Academy. He's got some pretty cool idea's for the education system.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Seen it before, and I agree completely. However, doing such a thing would be incredibly difficult to achieve due to the system that is now so deeply rooted in our educative system.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Yes but Does ANYBODY have any practical suggestions?

I've seen so many "brilliant" people complaining about education systems and almost no proposed change.

This guy also at the end said a whole bunch of things without examples. I am swamped in the challenge of deconstructing this video to understand it better. It was entertaining though. Onee example of that is

"it's not because teachers want it that way, it's because it's in the educational gene pool" (I'm paraphrasing but **** it)

I mean what does that mean? What is an educational gene pool? And that is only one example.
Quote by Jawlytomtom
Yes but Does ANYBODY have any practical suggestions?

I've seen so many "brilliant" people complaining about education systems and almost no proposed change.

This guy also at the end said a whole bunch of things without examples. I am swamped in the challenge of deconstructing this video to understand it better. It was entertaining though. Onee example of that is

"it's not because teachers want it that way, it's because it's in the educational gene pool" (I'm paraphrasing but **** it)

I mean what does that mean? What is an educational gene pool? And that is only one example.

Salmon Khan has posed a number of solutions. For example: he ran a summer camp in which kids were taught using computer software they could pause, rewind, and fast forward at their own pace. At the end of the module, kids were tested, and would regularly score 30-45% higher on the tests than the kids of the same age learning the same things in a standard educational environment. (I'll try to find my source when I have a bit more free time).
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
So I should look up Salmon Khan. sounds legit. How would a country start to implement that in his country though?... If I ran for member of parlaiment and proposed a massive educational overhaul. The reaction of people would probably be "ehh...."> I don't blame them either, for so many people school is just what kids do and it's as simple as that, altough when it's phrased like that it doesn't sound very potent, I think most people would just be scared by change and be all BUT SCHOOL IS WHAT KIDS DOOO! type reaction yadigme?
Education is not and should not be a top-down system as it is today. Every California middle school teacher should not be saying the same thing on the same day at the same time because the state mandated it. We need to give the teacher discretion once again. Contrary to the current approach, education should be a bottom-up one where grassroots movements in every district add up to change at the national level. Anything less than that is complete and utter misappropriation of resource allocation.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by necrosis1193
I swear this has been posted before.

The video was uploaded to Youtube more than a year ago, so that might actually have happened.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Half way through and some extraordinary claims are being made without sufficient reasoning. Everyone in this thread who is quick to agree should really, really step back a second and just think about what is actually being said.
I stopped watching as soon as he didn't have a clue how ADHD works. If you only are distracted at school, you shouldn't be diagnosed with ADHD. And the debate whether it's real is a popular culture debate only. In the world of science, we have scans showing fundamental differences in functioning between the brains of those with and without ADHD. Does the unprecendented amount of stimulation play a part in its development? That's entirely possible, but by no means does that mean ADHD isn't a real thing or is somehow only a product of the school system.

I was with him all the way until that, and the art was just fantastic.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I'd like to alter my previous comment. It's actually really stupid and you guys should really rewatch the thing again, asking yourselves why it's actually stupid. Seriously, show some curiosity and scepticism.
I'll watch it again to watch the artist

SHEdit: Could it be 200 ft tall and made of foam rubber? NO! BECAUSE THEN IT'S NOT A ****ING PAPER CLIP, MORON

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Last edited by SteveHouse at Dec 4, 2011,
Those are some amazing drawing skills, especially on a white board? Damn.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Duke Ellington

I'm sick and tired of people calling America the stupidest country in the world. I personally think Europe is the stupidest country.
Quote by Craigo
I'd like to alter my previous comment. It's actually really stupid and you guys should really rewatch the thing again, asking yourselves why it's actually stupid. Seriously, show some curiosity and scepticism.

Seriously, you should actually make an argument instead of being cryptic to seem smarter than everyone.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by The_Sophist
Seriously, you should actually make an argument instead of being cryptic to seem smarter than everyone.

I seriously don't want to. All you need to do for plenty of it is go 'is that really the best possible explanation?' and think of what you already know. It's not difficult and doesn't require extra effort. Bit like reading a good philosophy paper. You can read it and go along with it whilst having your alarm bells go off with a) certain claims or b) the reasoning used. Similarly when you're reading an opinion piece in a newspaper. You guys should be able to be naturally sceptical about something.

I know people dismiss things on the internet, omitting reasons why just to mock something when they probably don't have a case. You're gonna have to take my word on this when I say that I'm seriously not being that person. I'm just so surprised at the level of positive praise about this that I'm asking you to re-watch it more carefully.

The ADHD part is a particular minefield, I'll say that.
Last edited by Craigo at Dec 4, 2011,
Quote by Craigo
I seriously don't want to. All you need to do for plenty of it is go 'is that really the best possible explanation?' and think of what you already know. It's not difficult and doesn't require extra effort. Bit like reading a good philosophy paper. You can read it and go along with it whilst having your alarm bells go off with a) certain claims or b) the reasoning used. Similarly when you're reading an opinion piece in a newspaper. You guys should be able to be naturally sceptical about something.

I know people dismiss things on the internet, omitting reasons why just to mock something when they probably don't have a case. You're gonna have to take my word on this when I say that I'm seriously not being that person. I'm just so surprised at the level of positive praise about this that I'm asking you to re-watch it more carefully.

The ADHD part is a particular minefield, I'll say that.

I apologize. I assumed you were trying to do something you weren't. My mistake.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
So is the part about a decrease in "divergent thinking" with age being a product of education, and so is simultaneously saying the purpose of education is to prepare kids to participate in the economy and decrying the decrease in arts education.

Look I'm totally with the basic premise that the education model in America in particular (because I've not been through other systems) is outdated for the way today's world works, and even some of the particular gripes, but.... yeah. The way he goes against it doesn't exactly carry a whole lot of, well, meaning, frankly.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SkepsisMetal

Point? A 200 foot tall paper clip-shaped behemoth made of foam rubber is not, in fact, a paper clip. To argue otherwise in response to "what uses can you think of for a paper clip?" is not only contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, it also makes your answer have absolutely no relevance to any real world situation that might parallel the question.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

I've realized this since being in college.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by darkstar2466
Education is not and should not be a top-down system as it is today. Every California middle school teacher should not be saying the same thing on the same day at the same time because the state mandated it. We need to give the teacher discretion once again. Contrary to the current approach, education should be a bottom-up one where grassroots movements in every district add up to change at the national level. Anything less than that is complete and utter misappropriation of resource allocation.

So you agree with crazy people like me that the department of education is a failure and that localization is essential to bettering our public school system?

Quote by SteveHouse
Point? A 200 foot tall paper clip-shaped behemoth made of foam rubber is not, in fact, a paper clip. To argue otherwise in response to "what uses can you think of for a paper clip?" is not only contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, it also makes your answer have absolutely no relevance to any real world situation that might parallel the question.

Hey brah, like, what if you've got, like, really huge paper brah. And, like, it's really delicate, so you need to use foam rubber instead of metal. You know what I mean, brah?
The only real issues I have with our education system in Norway, is the huge amount of core subjects. While the GCE A levels gives kind of a narrow set of knowledge, our system gives us a more shallow insight into the subjects studied.

Furthermore, because of my vision, I struggle with the essay based subjects with much textbook reading, which made for the fact that I had to focus too much on subjects I wasn't interested in just to get a decent grade point average. The time I spent on just History was more than what I spent on Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics (elective subjects) combined, and I scored less in History than either of the sciences. By looking at some past GCE A level Mathematics C3 and C4 papers, I find out how little I actually know, even though I scored a top grade in Mathematics back in school. Hopefully I will fill the gaps easily next year, when I hopefully get into an English university. (I'm on a gap year.)

This is why I hate our system. I wish I could take the IB instead, but then I would have had to move into the nearest city, three hours from where I live...

I understand that we actually have to use the education 'factory' schools though, because that's the most effective way to get that many students educated without using too much money on teaching.

EDIT: Yeah, and the one-size-fits-all bullcrap we have to go through from 1st grade until the end of year 10.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by SteveHouse

The point is whether you think out of the box or not. The ones skilled at divergent thinking do just that, and it was illustrated through the example of a 200 foot foam rubber paperclip.

If you're asked to think of as many purposes for a paperclip as possible, wouldn't you argue that a paperclip like all things is relative ? You could construct a plane using paperclips to hold things together, or you could make one by using paperclips as support beams.

Creativity is what should be strived for, if we want to keep developing technologically and culturally. And a payraise is not gonna cut it, that's why education fails in the first place. Money bores.

It's whether you're one of the sheeple or not, and education makes you one of the sheeple. Or atleast, that's my opinion.
He lacks one thing for sure, and that's implementation. How should this be done? How many years would this take? How much money should be spent? In other words, there's always a tension between idealism and pragmatism.

It's easy to point out problems, but very difficult to come up with solutions. He has some good ideas, and I definitely agree with the ADHD and overstimulation points.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Quote by NotFromANUS
So you agree with crazy people like me that the department of education is a failure and that localization is essential to bettering our public school system?

Localization is not only essential to bettering our public school system - it's the only way. I honestly don't see a top-down approach that will work properly. Pushing standardization in both material learned and testing is a surefire way to build redundancy of nincompoops.

All I ask for are the basics:

- Learning is not competition. It serves a special purpose in our bioprogramming.
- Skillsets are not restricted to grade levels, i.e. Calculus is not an end-of-high-school rite of passage for the 'smart kids.'
- Treat kids like bite-sized adults. Just because you have a paper degree doesn't mean the kid can't think like you. Let kids take responsibility and treat them like your peers rather than your subordinates.
- Put nature back into learning, put learning back into nature.
- Learn by doing and trying, not watching and reading/hearing.
----> Teach useful skills and trades, have kids specialize and generalize with the things they can create. Every kid should be able to walk out school knowing how to cook, make art, build robots,
- Every school is unique. Some schools specialize in some things, other schools specialize in other things, and not because of chance but due to the localization that brings about the bolstering of specialization of certain skills native to the area.

Let me put it in one neat quote to capture the entire essence of what is wrong with education:

"Standardization is a great way to linearize a nonlinear manufacturing process. Education is not a nonlinear manufacturing process. People think it is."
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by Lord_Doku
The point is whether you think out of the box or not. The ones skilled at divergent thinking do just that, and it was illustrated through the example of a 200 foot foam rubber paperclip.

If you're asked to think of as many purposes for a paperclip as possible, wouldn't you argue that a paperclip like all things is relative ? You could construct a plane using paperclips to hold things together, or you could make one by using paperclips as support beams.

Creativity is what should be strived for, if we want to keep developing technologically and culturally. And a payraise is not gonna cut it, that's why education fails in the first place. Money bores.

It's whether you're one of the sheeple or not, and education makes you one of the sheeple. Or atleast, that's my opinion.

But that isn't thinking outside the box. It's changing the question.

This is a good example of creative problem-solving paying off that applies here I think. (If you haven't seen Apollo 13 or don't know anything about the actual mission, they actually were able to assemble the filter.) You don't answer this question by saying "Can what we have to work with, be something else?" The world is the world. It exists as it exists, and can't be changed. Creative problem solving happens when we apply what we have in uncommon ways. Changing the definition of what you're working with might be a fun philosophical exercise but it gets you no where.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Not going to bother watching the video.

The education system is an absolute joke because of how it functions in regards to pacing and difficulty of the academic material. The system fails to properly address the students who are well above the average as they don't perceive a problem mark wise until it is far too late and the damage has already been done. However the students are forced to sit around with nothing to do for the majority of the time they are mandated to be present, and when they do have work to do it is incredibly unchallenging and provides absolutely no academic growth beyond the "learning how to learn" crap that is used to justify a completely incompetent system which badly mishandles the very people who deserve a proper education the most due to their academic and intellectual potential. When you have 80 minute classes and you are sitting around twiddling your thumbs for 50 minutes, and the other 30 minutes are spent agonizingly being forced to listen to morons who have beaten the odds by managing to tie their shoes and button their shirts or have a lesson that is watered down enough that Ethan would understand the concepts on an incredibly basic and oversimplified level, there's a problem.