i do often try to figure out some new chord progressions. if i fixed a chord then i try to figure out 3 or 4 other chords to make a song, for example if the chord is C maj , then i can try like 1 4 5 or something else.

But, when i came up with the chord that is not just a major or minor chord, then i usually find myself stuck in a fixed place. for example , i often came up with some sus2 /sus4 /add9 /add11/ add13 chords,

and i want to keep the same mood or tonality throughout the whole chord progression.
but when i try some other chords with those chords, the mood changes suddenly or you can say not fitting in .

now i need to know , how to i properly create a chord progression for those chords ?

thanks for reading.
Quote by LeeMusic
u know anything abouts moods?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_mode#Use

try googling stuff like guitar modes or a specifik mode,
or ofc buy books and repeat it till it makes sense?

thats all i can think of, besides ofcoursing learnings song and figuring out in what key and mode theye are.

i think m was not clear enough!

its not really about modes (Ionian, dorian etc). i said "mood" for keeping the same feelings with the other chords that i will be came up with.

if i have a chord like sus2 or sus4, how do i find some other chords for the chord progression? that was my question.
so you want all of the chords in the progression to reflect the mood of each other?

what gives a chord a certain mood?

the notes its made up of and the way they react to the tonal center

if your playing, lets say an Eadd9, whats giving it the feel of an add9 chord is(obviously) the 9.

the 9 in this case is an F#, so try adding an F# to a different chord

lets use the 4, in this case its an A. the chord consists of A, E, F#, C#

try this with some other chords listen to how they sound

just experiment and try to find chords that work together, but think logically, don't just try to add random notes until it sounds right.
Lower case is minor chords and upper is major. The little circle is diminished.

Major- From the first note of the scale- I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, viiᴼ ,
Minor- From the first note of the scale- i, iiᴼ, III, iv, V, VI, vii

So basically just take whatever scale you're using and use that as your guide. Some rules are up two, down three , down five (Count the chord you're on as one) You can go to the one chord whenever you like or the Five chord whenever you want. Hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
Use chords I, IV, V and V7, and start from there. Learn the other chords in the key and use where you think it will sound good.

Also, try playing around with inversions to give a different sound and change rhythms.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by rickyj

if your playing, lets say an Eadd9, whats giving it the feel of an add9 chord is(obviously) the 9.

the 9 in this case is an F#, so try adding an F# to a different chord

lets use the 4, in this case its an A. the chord consists of A, E, F#, C#

try this with some other chords listen to how they sound

thanks a lot, i will try that.
Do you understand Diatonic Harmony, Cadences, Modulations and Modal Interchanges? These all help illuminate or expand your options when making a song/chord progression.

Unfortunately I have listed these in order of ascending difficulty. If you don't know these, then your options arent looking great as far as understanding anything.

Best,

Sean