Hi UG.

I'm trying to figure out the chords of this particular song by ear, but i'm having a bit of trouble because the melody is so loud in contrast to the chords. Could you guys tell me a few tricks as to how to go about doing this? I can figure out the chords of simpler songs by ear fine, but this one is proving a challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZLz1RgZzeI
Try to figure out where the root note first, then the tonality underneath it. Do you want the progression? I've just transcribed it, it's very generic.
Last edited by mdc at Dec 4, 2011,
Quote by mdc
Try to figure out where the root note first, then the tonality underneath it. Do you want the progression? I've just transcribed it, it's very generic.

Yes, especially the part in the middle where it suddenly changes into another melody. I have the other parts down, but i'm having trouble figuring out that part.
Well... one thing to remember: if you play an out of scale note, on either side of it, there is a note in the scale. That together with your ear, and you can do it.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
0:37 - 0:51

F - C - F - C - Gm - Dm - Bb - F - Dm - C - Bb - F/A - Gm - A7sus4

there's more hang on...
Thanks mdc. Before you posted I figured it out on my own, however I had slightly different chords than you but it still sounds good to my ears. So i'm using that.