haii guys
ive had an acoustic guitar for 2 years now, and ive learnt chords and all that shit, but im seriously thinking of buying an electric because i want to start learning how to play guitar solos and all that cool stuff....my question is, is it possible to learn how to properly do hammer ons, pull offs and just all the electric guitar techniques on my acoustic..or am i better off buying an electric to practice all that stuff on?
thnx.
doing them on a acoustic will make it much easier to do on a electric i really only play electric for the most part but i do my warm ups on a acoustic because it will allow you to play faster
Well you can't exactly practice muting while doing ho/po on an acoustic because obviously there's no gain to deal with.
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
thats true unless your a asshole like me and plays a acoustic with a cranked tube amp
Quote by HaistaPaska92
Well you can't really practice bends on an acoustic but everything else should be doable

plus vibrato is a bitch to do as well
Quote by HaistaPaska92
Well you can't really practice bends on an acoustic but everything else should be doable

You can't? I seem to manage well enough, on what are you basing this assertion?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Androidjoey
doing them on a acoustic will make it much easier to do on a electric i really only play electric for the most part but i do my warm ups on a acoustic because it will allow you to play faster

It really doesn't. If you want to be good at electric, play electric, the action is generally better, so it takes less effort, and you wanna be able to do as much as possible with as little effort. It will be a lot more effort on an acoustic, I have never even owned an acoustic, and I was able to build up my speed just as fast, if not faster than most acoustic people.
Quote by CelestialGuitar
It really doesn't. If you want to be good at electric, play electric, the action is generally better, so it takes less effort, and you wanna be able to do as much as possible with as little effort. It will be a lot more effort on an acoustic, I have never even owned an acoustic, and I was able to build up my speed just as fast, if not faster than most acoustic people.

in your case that might be true but people like zakk wylde and joe satriani use acoustic to help with legato because it takes about twice the effort to play through a legato solo on a acoustic so when you go to electric it will be effortless
Last edited by Androidjoey at Dec 4, 2011,
It also means that you have a risk of using too much tension when playing on the electric due to pressing down too hard, since on an acoustic with the higher action (in general) and such you'll be pressing down slightly more.

If you want to be good at electric, play electric. If you want to be good at acoustic, play acoustic...
Quote by Androidjoey
This +1

In my opinion everybody should start on an acoustic. Learning on an acoustic forces you to get things right, electrics can hide a lot of minor mistakes. Once you can do all that stuff on an acoustic, you'll find it really easy once you get an electric.

Quote by HaistaPaska92
Well you can't really practice bends on an acoustic
This is crap. Of course you can, and like I said above, once you can do them on an acoustic they'll be far easier on an electric.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Dec 4, 2011,