Hey there guys. I started guitar just over a year ago and I'm wanting to get myself a multieffects pedal to last me for quite a few years playing. I've got a ibanez gio (humbuckers, it isnt as terrible as some people say it is) and a ibanez 15W toneblaster amp. I mostly play metal (I love Paul gilbert) but am wanting to expand my horizons a bit

I've been looking on the net at reviews for quite a few pedals and I think I am probably looking at a Boss GT-10 or a Vox tonelab LE or something of the sort. Any help and/or opinions (not thread trolling) would be much appreciated
What you need is a new amp.

Ha Ha, I got in first.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^What Cathbard said.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I just got a hd 300 pod and I am very happy with it. It can be used just for pedals or model amps. It has noise reduction and a gate, so many effects I couldn't begin to name them all.But, like stated above,you need a amp. It just wouldn't make sense to put over 300 into a pedal for that amp.
Go easy on him, he's still new.

Technically they aren't wrong, the amp is the main factor when finding your tone, but as you're still learning it's understandable that you want an effects unit to experiment with.

I use Boss effects and find their kit very usable and reliable. The GT-10 you're considering would be a solid choice, it would help you determine what you need to get the sound you're looking for and learn about how effects are used.

Then when you're ready and have the budget, getting a new amp and guitar will be a major step in your progress. Like you said, your kit isn't as bad as a lot of people in these forums say it is (you'll quickly learn that UG is full of gear snobs) but until you're reasonably proficient it will be good enough for you to learn on.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Rather than getting an modelling unit for a crappy, amp, you could get a modelling amp and kill two birds with one stone. The Vox VT+ and Peavey Vypyr are well worth it.
I was expecting a barrage of these comments Well deserved though :P Funnily enough I actually like my tone I get from this guitar and amp. This wee amp has quite a distortion channel for a cheap/mid priced amp. I'm just looking for something to get some new sounds from before I make some big investments. I figure I may as well start here because its the cheapest sound investment but my small experience with the pedals is that they can dramatically change your tone (for better or for worse).

Thanks a bunch for that input Gary, although I do get the feeling that I may be making the wrong investment everyone seems to think?

Thanks a bunch for the help guys
Quote by BeserkSheep
Thanks a bunch for that input Gary, although I do get the feeling that I may be making the wrong investment everyone seems to think?

That depends on your reasons for wanting the effects.

If the only reason you were considering an effects unit was solely to improve your tone, then the new amp would definitely be the better choice.

If you're wanting to experiment with using different effects, then the effects unit is obviously the right choice.

The way I see it, you're still learning and you've admitted that for the moment you're happy with the sound you get from your current amp. For me, that means the effects unit is the next step.

Yes, you will reach a stage eventually where you need to get a new amp, but I wouldn't recommend that sort of investment until you know exactly what you're wanting from it. The units you're considering are not only good enough to help you learn how to get the best results from the different effects, but they're also good enough to last you as long as you need them to, and when you upgrade the rest of your kit they'll sound even better.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by bwake72
I just got a hd 300 pod and I am very happy with it. It can be used just for pedals or model amps. It has noise reduction and a gate, so many effects I couldn't begin to name them all.But, like stated above,you need a amp. It just wouldn't make sense to put over 300 into a pedal for that amp.

Even an Axe Fx will sound like shit when played into a basic beginners amp.

New amp. Get modeller after you get a new amp, if you need one.
Quote by GaryBillington
That depends on your reasons for wanting the effects.

If the only reason you were considering an effects unit was solely to improve your tone, then the new amp would definitely be the better choice.

If you're wanting to experiment with using different effects, then the effects unit is obviously the right choice.

The way I see it, you're still learning and you've admitted that for the moment you're happy with the sound you get from your current amp. For me, that means the effects unit is the next step.

Yes, you will reach a stage eventually where you need to get a new amp, but I wouldn't recommend that sort of investment until you know exactly what you're wanting from it. The units you're considering are not only good enough to help you learn how to get the best results from the different effects, but they're also good enough to last you as long as you need them to, and when you upgrade the rest of your kit they'll sound even better.

I can agree with this.
what is your budget? If it's more than $200 I'd say just grab a peavey vypyr or something. Lots of amp models, and effects to choose from. Should last you quite a while. Would even be good to keep around as a little practice amp down the road when you have a big, snarling tube amp.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes