Hello!

I was thinking of getting a second hand Tascam us 122 for recording guitar (and later on also vocals) on my mac. Around here you can find a good one for about 90 to 100 euros on the second hand market.

But in the shop around the corner I can get a new Roland tri capture for 113 euros. Being a total newbie in this matter this seems like a pretty good deal. No risk, support from the store and it's an appliance from a renowned brand. And it's only about 20 euros more.

What do you people think?

Thanks already for your advice.

Din.
Heavy metal has its own particular kind of glorious thunder — a dark, droning crunch that's almost druidic in its appeal to the adolescent psyche.
I've never tried a Roland Tri, but I've tried a Tascam for recording guitar and the sound isn't great.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
I've never tried a Roland Tri, but I've tried a Tascam for recording guitar and the sound isn't great.

Interesting. The tascam was recommended to me by some homerecording forum. But it was a general recommendation, not specifically for guitar.
Heavy metal has its own particular kind of glorious thunder — a dark, droning crunch that's almost druidic in its appeal to the adolescent psyche.
One of the big pros of the Tricapture for me is that it comes with Sonar X1 (a pretty fully featured version).

Since you're on a Mac that's irrelevant, and there's not much else that makes it an especially worthy recommendation.
Quote by kyle62
there's not much else that makes it an especially worthy recommendation.

I guess not, but I personally don't see any big cons either.

Do you have any suggestions for something else? Or would you say the tascam is the way to go?
Are the Tascam US-800s getting blown out by European retailers? Check on that interface, because over here, they're going for between $100-150 and come with Cubase LE4/5, which alone is worth the price. The cheaper US-122 you're thinking about has pretty poor preamps and the build quality is pretty shoddy. I wouldn't buy either of the two units you're looking at TBH.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Are the Tascam US-800s getting blown out by European retailers?

Not that I know of but I will surely check.

Quote by MatrixClaw
The cheaper US-122 you're thinking about has pretty poor preamps and the build quality is pretty shoddy. I wouldn't buy either of the two units you're looking at TBH.

Problem is that I'm on kind of a tight budget :-(

Any "cheap" suggestions?
I was getting all excited over a tascam us 800 on amazon.com!!!

98,99 dollars! a bargain!

But then I got this message

We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order.
Last edited by Din Viesel at Dec 4, 2011,
I've been checking some alternatives.

What about an M Audio fast track?
Last edited by Din Viesel at Dec 4, 2011,