i play alot of metalcore stuff and im looking for a new head to replace my valveking. and im leaning toward the 5150iii but there is a lack of decent sound clips from it but what i have heard its just about what i want in an amp, 3 channels super brutal gain channel and a very usable clean. dual recto. super flexible and has a nice but less satisfying gain channel. but can do anything i would like perfectly...or a 6505+ cheaper, great gain channel but less flexible no real cleans only 2 channels .

what about the mini 5150iii is it just like most of the little heads and a stripped down version or is it kinda like everything just 50 watts?
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
I have a 5153 but don't really use it for metal. Great versatile amp.
For the money difference though, I'd get a 6505 if I was mostly playing metalcore stuff..
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

You might want to consider the 5150 III mini. It's cheaper than all 3 of those amps and is supposedly the same amp as the original, just with a 50w power section and shared EQ for the clean and crunch channel.

It just came out, but if it's as epic as I hope it will be, I'm sure Peavey is going to be hurting from EVH undercutting their price for an amp that is, in nearly every circumstance, better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
6505+: Staple amp for anything -core. There's a reason everyone uses them, and it's hard to go wrong with one if you just want 'that' sound. Cleans are complete shit, so you're missing out in that department entirely with this amp. Personal preference goes to the standard 6505; more pleasing sound than the 'plus' version, much better control of the lower mids.

5150III: Obviously similar to the original 5150/6505 sound, with slight tweaks for a more modernised, versatile result. Has some of the nicest clean tones packaged into a high-gain amp on the market. Hard to fault, except for the price tag new. Very popular in the studio.

Dual Rec: Same as the 6505, there's a reason everyone uses it. Far more versatile than the 6505, though it's a very different sound. A very, VERY rough analogy would be the Mesa Rectifier is to metal as the 6505 is to core. If you're looking at the rectifier series, I always found the earlier model twin-channel triple rectifier to be the best of the lot, short of the Roadster/Roadking. Avoid single rectifiers like the plague.
Don't over look the Peavey 3120 (XXX) and Randall RT-50H both are beast of and amp.

3120 / RT-50H is killer for doom Death Metal, HardCore Metal, etc. Also rock, hard rock.

Cleans are okay I don't use that channel much at all.

Now my Mesa Dual Rec. 3 channel 2003 model Owns all my amps when I use my 7 and 8 string guitars.
I'll throw out something different just to be different but I would also consider the new Egnater Vengeance or a used Splawn Quick Rod/Nitro. Both of these amps imo bridge some of the gaps that you mentioned with the others and imo will be closer to a 5153.

Does anyone know if the transformers used in the 5153 Mini are the same as the original? That would my main question. The build quality may be a bit suspect too but I'm really not trying to undercut the amp at all - I am a big fan of them.
The 5150 III is essentially a 6505 with cleans that don't suck. And then the Mesa is really versatile but really good for metal too. Of course if all your playing is metalcore I'd get a Mesa since eventually you're going to realize it's shit and that you want to play jazz-fusion, in which case you'll be glad you bought the Mesa.
Quote by Kikuta
6505+: Staple amp for anything -core. There's a reason everyone uses them, and it's hard to go wrong with one if you just want 'that' sound. Cleans are complete shit, so you're missing out in that department entirely with this amp. Personal preference goes to the standard 6505; more pleasing sound than the 'plus' version, much better control of the lower mids.

5150III: Obviously similar to the original 5150/6505 sound, with slight tweaks for a more modernised, versatile result. Has some of the nicest clean tones packaged into a high-gain amp on the market. Hard to fault, except for the price tag new. Very popular in the studio.

Dual Rec: Same as the 6505, there's a reason everyone uses it. Far more versatile than the 6505, though it's a very different sound. A very, VERY rough analogy would be the Mesa Rectifier is to metal as the 6505 is to core. If you're looking at the rectifier series, I always found the earlier model twin-channel triple rectifier to be the best of the lot, short of the Roadster/Roadking. Avoid single rectifiers like the plague.

great points...im really trying to stay away from the 6505 there too overdone if you know what i mean and i dont only play metalcore stuff just most of the time..but i need the versatility to play at church and what not. but ive heard some people get decent lower gain stuff out of it too...im trying not to buy used as i dont trust people i dont want to inherit problems from neglect

anyone know snything about thr new peavey XXX 2?

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Last edited by numbfinger at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by numbfinger
great points...im really trying to stay away from the 6505 there too overdone if you know what i mean and i dont only play metalcore stuff just most of the time..but i need the versatility to play at church and what not. but ive heard some people get decent lower gain stuff out of it too...im trying not to buy used as i dont trust people i dont want to inherit problems from neglect

anyone know snything about thr new peavey XXX 2
?

i am pretty sure it is that same/similar as the JSX, as Satch left peavey. dont feel like double checking atm, so somebody else can if they want.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by numbfinger

anyone know snything about thr new peavey XXX 2?

If you don't want the 6505 because it's 'overdone' stay away from the dual rec - it's just as 'overdone'.
RIP Gooze

cats
the egnators seem ok but im kinda weary of dropping 1500 on an amp that has no history

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
^ You should check them out a little deeper. They got their start in the high end modular amp space. Bruce Egnater is highly regarded in the amp world. They only recently started making lower budget traditional amps that pack a lot of features and versatility. Their Rebel, Tweaker and Renegade series pretty popular. Although made in China, I find their new traditional amps quality to be on par with the others in their price range. (admittedly I'm a bit of a fanboi)

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1339413

http://www.egnateramps.com/start.html

Here is a quick clip I did of the Vengeance while GC a couple of weeks ago.
http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/hh384/buckethead_311/Amp%20stuff/?action=view&current=1a196a75.mp4

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am pretty sure it is that same/similar as the JSX, as Satch left peavey. dont feel like double checking atm, so somebody else can if they want.

Yeah, the XXX II is the JSX replacement. The 3120 is the XXX replacement. Confusing.

Quote by FearMyLightning
The 5150 III is essentially a 6505 with cleans that don't suck.

They are different amps.
Quote by numbfinger
the egnators seem ok but im kinda weary of dropping 1500 on an amp that has no history

You can currently buy a Vengeance head for $1099, not 1500. As someone said above, we do have quite a bit of history in the boutique amp market, but the lower priced products have been out for about 5 years at this point. In case you're curious about the history, look up Egnater MICA, Egnater TOL, Egnater modular. As well as doing lots of subcontracted design work for other companies like Rocktron and Randall. Haha, now back to your regularly scheduled 5150 vs. Recto discusion
Quote by numbfinger
i play alot of metalcore stuff and im looking for a new head to replace my valveking. and im leaning toward the 5150iii but there is a lack of decent sound clips from it but what i have heard its just about what i want in an amp, 3 channels super brutal gain channel and a very usable clean. dual recto. super flexible and has a nice but less satisfying gain channel. but can do anything i would like perfectly...or a 6505+ cheaper, great gain channel but less flexible no real cleans only 2 channels .

what about the mini 5150iii is it just like most of the little heads and a stripped down version or is it kinda like everything just 50 watts?

I had a 5150 III for about a year, & it's an unbelievable amp. I only sold mine because I already had an SLO 100 also. I didn't need all the channels, & the 5150 III weighs a ton, but it sounds great across the board. Like Matrix said, maybe wait & try the smaller version....I'd like to buy the smaller version when it comes out. You really should try it first to make sure it's a tight enough sound for metal. I think it works fine, but you need to test it before spending that kind of money.
This isn't a knock on the Mesas (I like the sound of a Dual Rec for lots of things), but the 5150 III is more live sounding, & certainly more versatile. I've never really cared much for the Peavey 5150s/6505s. They're OK for the price, but I'm used to playing better amps, so when I play a Peavey, it just falls short for me as far as response & clarity.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Ian Egnater
You can currently buy a Vengeance head for $1099, not 1500. As someone said above, we do have quite a bit of history in the boutique amp market, but the lower priced products have been out for about 5 years at this point. In case you're curious about the history, look up Egnater MICA, Egnater TOL, Egnater modular. As well as doing lots of subcontracted design work for other companies like Rocktron and Randall. Haha, now back to your regularly scheduled 5150 vs. Recto discusion

im was more interested in the Armageddon for three channels and the ISP in it. the shared EQ on channels 2/3 kinda bug me. are they separate when you change to that channel. like you set it up, it saves then you can tweak the next channel or if you set channel 2 at a setting its hits up both EQ's?(i dont know if im explain it right but ill give it a shot)
and im not trying to just trying to think only about 6505's and mesa'a im open to anything really in the $1500 USD price range that can do what i need. i want 3 channels but can go with 2 if the tones are worth it...very clear under high gain citations, and ballsy enough to do metal core. looking for a August burns red-Constellations type of tone (i know they use 6505's)

blackstar? series one 4106l6,el34? the power adjuster is a super cool feature as i dont wanna blow up my garage everytime i play
marshall JVM (the TSL like one) metal core-y enough?
carvin v3?
ENGL fireball 100?

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Last edited by numbfinger at Dec 6, 2011,
im really just trying to narrow down my list as just about every amp that has come out in the last say 5 years i havnt play on and anything in my price range that can have a decent amount of gain is on my want list. i just want to be able to go into GC and have a damn clue what i need to try out

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by Ian Egnater

Best line I've read on here all week. Though it should probably be 6505 vs recto.... But I'm not gonna split hairs

Egnaters are great amps, you should really try one out. I haven't played a vengeance yet, but it's on my to do list.

You should really consider used. Quality amps are tough. Unless someone is using the head to drive tent stakes, I doubt they're going to do much damage to it from neglect. That's why you try before you buy. But if you like paying a lot of money for things, that's your business.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
id rather not spend more than i have to, but the way i see it, if im going to spend 1200 on a 6505 id rather spend up to 1800 on something im going to like for a really long time.....i dont sell my music gear i have just about everything ive acquired over the years and that cause i spend alot of time on not wasting my money

but egnater is definitly standing out on my list

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
I'm just saying when you buy used you're getting the same amp... It just doesn't have that new amp smell. I bought my mesa used, and even today you'd be hard pressed to find a defect in it. It had a tube retainer spring broken. $2 later it was good as new. Choosing between a used 6505 for $1200, or a new one for $1800? easy choice for me. I buy the used one, then I have $600 left for other gear.

But if you want new, then you want new. It's your money. And some amps you're just unlikely to find used. Some have been around since the jurassic period, so they're easy to find on the used market, but some of the egnater stuff is still relatively new, so there's not nearly as many floating around used.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by numbfinger
i...i dont sell my music gear i have just about everything ive acquired over the years and that cause i spend alot of time on not wasting my money

but you have a valveking

i kid, i used to have one too. they are good starter tube amps - especially if you are into modding things.

give Egnater a hard look - although not perfect for what you play I see Renegade heads on craigslist in the $650-$750 range and they have only been out in stores for maybe a year now.

"use a amp head to drive tent stakes" LOL
Quote by jpatan
I'm just saying when you buy used you're getting the same amp... It just doesn't have that new amp smell. I bought my mesa used, and even today you'd be hard pressed to find a defect in it. It had a tube retainer spring broken. $2 later it was good as new. Choosing between a used 6505 for $1200, or a new one for $1800? easy choice for me. I buy the used one, then I have $600 left for other gear.

But if you want new, then you want new. It's your money. And some amps you're just unlikely to find used. Some have been around since the jurassic period, so they're easy to find on the used market, but some of the egnater stuff is still relatively new, so there's not nearly as many floating around used.

i feel the need to correct you here

its 1200 for a new 6505
and 800-600 for a used one! awsome deal!
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
I wasn't quoting actual prices. Just using the figures TS posted as an example of why he's wrong, and I am in fact awesome, and all knowing.
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
I wasn't quoting actual prices. Just using the figures TS posted as an example of why he's wrong, and I am in fact awesome, and all knowing.

i actually like my valveking its a decent amp at the price you cant beat it plus it has lasted me for 5 years

and the price is was talking about what for a new 6505 (1200) and a new 5150 iii (1800)

i am looking into egnater as they seem to be cheaper than most amps but have more features then i could ask for (Armageddon) is it USA made?

on the armageddon is the eq completly shared on the 2/3 channels or is it like a line 6 and change only that channel's settings and saves the setting for the other one.?

do the little fans in amp chassis make a humming sound in the signal path?

a

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
isn't the 5153 a completely other amp than the 5150??

AFAIK EVH got the name, while peavey got the design, right?

go for the 5153!!
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Tunder250
isn't the 5153 a completely other amp than the 5150??

AFAIK EVH got the name, while peavey got the design, right?

go for the 5153!!

its very different, much better all around amp

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Maybe I'm biased, but I got a 5153 and matching cab, and it's the most complete amp I've ever had. Sounds great. And I'm not one of the people who's gone from a Line 6 Spider and got carried away - I've had some nice amps before this, but it really is the best so far. Better than my Custom Hiwatt, better than my Cornford Hellcat, better than my Boogie MK2, better than my JCM900....
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by numbfinger
its very different, much better all around amp

i hate people thinking the 5153 and the 6505 are the same...

I love the 5153
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Dual rectos aren't as versatile as you think, for differ types of metal they perhaps are but for different styles other than that I'd have to disagree. You sound like you want metal tho therefore I'd suggest a 2 channel Dual/Triple recto if you were going to take tht route.

Definitely take the 5153 over the 6505 tho, it's an absolute monster of an amp and does a lot of things. I'm still a believer in the 6505 being really really generic but still good at what it does. If you need to play stuff other than metal then the 5153 is the best option, if not then goMesa IMO
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
Dual rectos aren't as versatile as you think, for differ types of metal they perhaps are but for different styles other than that I'd have to disagree. You sound like you want metal tho therefore I'd suggest a 2 channel Dual/Triple recto if you were going to take tht route.

Definitely take the 5153 over the 6505 tho, it's an absolute monster of an amp and does a lot of things. I'm still a believer in the 6505 being really really generic but still good at what it does. If you need to play stuff other than metal then the 5153 is the best option, if not then goMesa IMO

+1, I've never really understood why people say the Rectos are really versatile. I guess it can get different levels of gain for playing different genres, but so can any amp by turning down the knob... The Rectos still have a heaviness to them that I wouldn't use for anything lighter than heavier rock music. The cleans, while I guess more pristine than the original 5150 design, are boring and sterile and not really anything to write home about, either

The Recto is a sound that really can't be copied for cheaper than buying the actual amp though, which is definitely the appeal to them. The Bugera copy might come close though, I'm not sure. Have those even come out yet? Besides that, the only thing really close to them in tone I've found is the Bogner Uberschall, which is basically a glorified version of the 3 Channel Recto. But, it's not like the 5150, which is a less modified copy of the SLO circuit, where there's like 15 other amp designs out there that can sound very similar in tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
so i was thing about getting a Carvin V3 seems like there good amps good reviews and versatile enough for me ,3 channels and lots o features...BUILT IN THE USA!!!!!only about 950 shipped.. and i was thing about getting recording crap mics, mixer, monitors because right now i use a rock band mic to record......hahaha i dont know anything about recording really but i know i would really like to start recording

is this a wise choice beacuse i think so.....

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
^ Is what a wise a choice? The Carvin or the recording gear?

I've never played a Carvin but from what I hear of them they should fit the bill for you well. I'm guessing it is pretty close to the Renegade.

There are several different approaches to recording. The Recordings forum has lots of good information. The classic approach is to put a microphone in front of your speaker and record it. There are lots of ways to do this too but a standard set up (the one I use) would involve a Shure SM57 microphone, mic stand, cable, Line 6 UX1 interface, USB, PC, Audacity (or some other recording software). $200 new. $100 used.
I think a big thing to consider about this whole scenario is the differences in the Amps. The 5150 I and II are copies of Soldano Slo's. I hear that Eddie actually just used Slo's that were in the 5150 shells during his endoresment. The 5153's however are made by Fender so they obviously are better on the clean side, I hear great things about their gain as well. I don't really know much about the Dual Recto to be honest, but I think it's more in the comparable range of the 5153 just due to the price. If I was going to pick one of these amps for you I would probably go with the Dual Recto or the 6505. Either of them would more than likely suit your needs. Getting a 6505 though might be the best fiscally considering the way you'll be using the amp.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
I think a big thing to consider about this whole scenario is the differences in the Amps. The 5150 I and II are copies of Soldano Slo's. I hear that Eddie actually just used Slo's that were in the 5150 shells during his endoresment. The 5153's however are made by Fender so they obviously are better on the clean side, I hear great things about their gain as well. I don't really know much about the Dual Recto to be honest, but I think it's more in the comparable range of the 5153 just due to the price. If I was going to pick one of these amps for you I would probably go with the Dual Recto or the 6505. Either of them would more than likely suit your needs. Getting a 6505 though might be the best fiscally considering the way you'll be using the amp.

that doesn't mean a damn thing.

they are different amps, possibly/probably built by another set of engineers.

thats like saying a that the same as saying a Charvel Pro Mod or and a USA strat sound the same?

those are two different guitars.

anything different will not sound the same.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
that doesn't mean a damn thing.

they are different amps, possibly/probably built by another set of engineers.

thats like saying a that the same as saying a Charvel Pro Mod or and a USA strat sound the same?

those are two different guitars.

anything different will not sound the same.

I didn't mean to offend you so much. I'm just stating that it's been said that the 5153's have better cleans then the 6505+. Like I said I don't know much about the Dual Rectifier. The 5153's are made by fender and so I feel like its fair to say that is part of the reason for their clean's sounding better.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
The 5153 cleans are very good. The matching cab really works well with it. Not as keen on v30s. Also, the low DB means nothing. With the 4x12, it was noticeably louder than my friends fender twin with v30s (which is an extremely loud amp).
I don't want to bang on about it, but I've never been so happy with any amp. The cleans are great, the crunch is huge and has quite a vintage flavour, and the 3rd channel can either do leads or be set for modern filth. Personally, I set my first channel pretty clean, the 2nd for an old school Marshall crunch, and my 3rd for the odd occasion I need anything nasty. I boost channel 2 with an overdrive for leads, and have an MXR microamp in the loop, meaning I can get up to 30 db clean boost on any channel (meaning I can do clean Knopflery solos too). Carbon copy in the delay too.
No point having this monster in your bedroom though.
I would 100% take one over a rectumfrier.
The first channel is so good, that you could imagine it was a gimmicky 1 channel boutique amp.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban