Hello everyone,
I own a Korg PS-60 and it's a nice sounding keyboard but it has way more sound voices than I know what to do with...

Anyway, I like to write/record heavy metal and hard rock and want to start including keyboard parts but I'm not sure which "instruments" to use on the keyboard. I want to have keyboard melodies like Children of Bodom, Yngwie Malmsteen, Dragonforce, or pretty much any power metal band. Can anyone help me out here?
I'm a keyboardist I CAN HELP!!!

Ok, so basically power/prog metal consists of synths, pads (bells and wispy sounds), strings (usually ensemble strings), choirs, and rarely brass.

Some of the bands you listed, i.e. Dragonforce, use harpsichord to back up some of their guitar parts as well as choir and strings elsewhere.

For some other ideas, I'd check out Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Alestorm, and Kamelot.
The first three are keyboard heavy while Kamelot is a bit mixed.
Gear:
Roland AX-09 Lucina Keytar
Yamaha PSR-E413 Keyboard

Roland CM-30 & KC-350 amps
Quote by Weaponxclaws
Thanks a lot!! What do you play?

Instrument wise: Keyboard, keytar, piano, organ. I'm learning mandolin, guitar, and ocarina.

Music wise: Power/prog metal, symphonic metal, rock, and church hymns.

Just an advisory, orchestra hits are good when used as such. Quick eighth/sixteenth note hits. Don't solo with them or stupid crap like that.
Also, don't do thirds. It could easily mess up the sound. Trust me, I've tried. Base your keyboard notes on the guitar. Keys easy replace rhythm or could follow/back up the vocals. It adds more sound to the vocals. Nightwish does the vocal backing type with their first singer.

Any other questions?
Gear:
Yamaha PSR-E413 Keyboard

Quote by sasvnightingale
Instrument wise: Keyboard, keytar, piano, organ. I'm learning mandolin, guitar, and ocarina.

Music wise: Power/prog metal, symphonic metal, rock, and church hymns.

Just an advisory, orchestra hits are good when used as such. Quick eighth/sixteenth note hits. Don't solo with them or stupid crap like that.
Also, don't do thirds. It could easily mess up the sound. Trust me, I've tried. Base your keyboard notes on the guitar. Keys easy replace rhythm or could follow/back up the vocals. It adds more sound to the vocals. Nightwish does the vocal backing type with their first singer.

Any other questions?

I meant, what keyboards do you have? Haha I have a Korg PS-60 which was not a cheap keyboard and the sound reflects that.
It's in my sig lololololol

But yeah. The Yamaha PSR E-413 is low priced but the sounds rock. The Roland AX-09 Lucina Shoulder Synth Keytar runs $500 and the sounds are top, but I've found my self wanting to switch out some sounds
Gear:
Yamaha PSR-E413 Keyboard