I just bought a guitar with 2x EMG 81. I only use the bridge pickup really so it's fine for me but I don't understand why you'd use 2 of the same pickup? Surely the idea of having 2 pickups is to get 2 different sounds?
You get a radically different sound from the neck and bridge positions, even if they are the same pickup.
I can only assume that you haven't tried it on your own guitar yet, because you'd hear it right away.
Neck position is much warmer/bassier and the bridge position is more trebly.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
You get a radically different sound from the neck and bridge positions, even if they are the same pickup.
I can only assume that you haven't tried it on your own guitar yet, because you'd hear it right away.
Neck position is much warmer/bassier and the bridge position is more trebly.

What creates this difference? I thought it was down to the pickup, is it something to do with the wiring or positioning in relation to the strings?
Quote by Afroboy267
What creates this difference? I thought it was down to the pickup, is it something to do with the wiring or positioning in relation to the strings?

Pick the strings close to the bridge, then between the two pickups, then over the 12th string. Notice the enormous difference in the resultant sound. It's all to do with how the string vibrates at a specific point, and the pickups position relative to those points determines the difference in sound between the neck and the bridge.
this man knows what he's talking about. Don't you guys ever experiment with your axe? ^o)
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Quote by Kikuta
Pick the strings close to the bridge, then between the two pickups, then over the 12th string. Notice the enormous difference in the resultant sound. It's all to do with how the string vibrates at a specific point, and the pickups position relative to those points determines the difference in sound between the neck and the bridge.

Oh right, that makes sense. Cheers .
i have an axe with 2 81's, it does sound warmer in the neck, but i would still prefer something like an 85 or an 89 in the neck, adds more versatility imho.
Shit doesn't just happen. We make shit happen.

ESP LTD MH-400 (emg 89 /81)
MIJ Fender Stratocaster (customized)
DarkHorse V (ahb-2 blackout)
Vox VT30
Erineball Cables
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
2 of the same pickup won't give you the same sound in both positions for reasons that have already been explained.

for what it's worth, the chances are the two pickups actually differ slightly in order to compensate for the differences in how the strings vibrate above each pickup, even though they are the same model. otherwise you'd have either a weak, brittle sounding bridge pickup, a muddy, overpowered sounding neck pickup, or both of the above.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.