I'm putting my own pedalboard together, but I need a source of power, and I heard about daisy chaining the pedals. I have no idea what to do, how to do it, what I need, or if there's any sort of consequence of doing it. Can someone help me out here?

Also, is it true that daisy chaining certain pedals can damage them?
Buy yourself a OneSpot adaptor. Plug in. Use to power all your pedals. Simple.

Alternatively, on a higher budget, get yourself an isolated power supply multibox thing (like a DC brick or Trex), which reduces any sort of hum which may arise from a non-isolated supply like the onespot.

Make sure that the tips have the correct polarity for each of your pedals. Easy peasy. most people here will swear by onespots, and if you find one pedal which causes hum, then use a seperate power supply for that.
call me ziggy.
I believe there's a company called 1spot that makes a daisy-chain kit, it's got everything you need to do it, but I haven't tried it yet. As far as consequences, I have no idea. I would assume that maybe there could be some power loss or something if you have a lot of pedals, but I dont know for sure. And about damaging certain pedals, the only thing I can think would be if the pedal requires a 12v power source or something because the daisy chains are usually only 9v. I dont think it would damage anything tho, just leave it wanting more power.
GEAR:
Fender MIM Strat (all black everthing!)
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Zvex Distortron
Fulltone OCD
ISP Decimator
Vox AC30C2

Power Chords and Downstrums
oh my, this could potentially get funny/bad. i am already having flashbacks.

lets get to your questions

Quote by gateway01
I'm putting my own pedalboard together, but I need a source of power, and I heard about daisy chaining the pedals. I have no idea what to do, how to do it, what I need, or if there's any sort of consequence of doing it. Can someone help me out here?

to get specific we'll need a list of pedals you have/want to use on your pedal board. the reason being that different pedals require different sources of power, each AC adapter has particular specs that need to be satisfied in particular ways.

there is some standardization in the field, many pedals use boss PSA-120 style barrels and specs; but there are plenty of 'weird' pedals out there that require different specs.

in particular, 'daisy-chaining' has to do with powering a group of pedals with very similar power requirements using one source. this source will have a wire the 'daisy-chains' the pedals together. the first one i saw was boss pedal board kits with power supply pedals. like so:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BOS-LS2-LIST

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BOS-PCS20A

now there are more generic alternatives. the one spot is very popular and has directions for what adapters different popular pedals need as well.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/1-spot-combo-pack/p/B4E4E4D94FE53981E838?q=one+spot&lpq=one%20spot&FORM=HURE

then you start getting picky. maybe you run wild pedals, or nice pedals, or lots of pedals, or pedals with large voltage requirements. you also want more quiet operation (one spots and daisy chains get noisy at times, depending on what is plugged into it). then you step up to something like this

http://www.bing.com/shopping/voodoo-lab-pedal-power-2-plus-universal-power-supply/p/57BEA3DDC8FCDA015012?q=voodoo+labs+pedal+supply+plus&lpf=0&lpq=voodoo%2blabs%2bpedal%2bsupply%2bplus&FORM=EGCA&lppc=16

it has isolated outputs, tons of adapters, can make like 18V conversions. there are a number of othe manfacturers that do stuff like this, but that is a popular one (i use it).

Quote by gateway01
Also, is it true that daisy chaining certain pedals can damage them?

if you don't match the right power requirements then you can damage them. i did it one time, sucks.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 4, 2011,
The pedals I have and/or will have (don't laugh at me, on a tight budget):

Boss MD-2 (Mega Distortion)
Boss TR-2 (Tremolo)
Behringer US600 (Ultra Shifter/Harmonist)
Behringer SM200 (Slow Motion)
Behringer HB01 (Wah)
Behringer FCV100 (Volume/Expression)
Behringer VP1 (Vintage Phaser)
Behringer SO400 (Super Octaver)
Behringer FD300 (Feedback/Distortion)

I think the only one that isn't 9V is the FCV100, pretty sure that's 12V, but it runs on batteries.

Quote by gumbilicious
if you don't match the right power requirements then you can damage them. i did it one time, sucks

Do you mean like putting a 9V plug in a 12V jack?
Last edited by gateway01 at Dec 4, 2011,
Quote by gateway01
Boss TR-2 (Tremolo)
Behringer HB01 (Wah)

I think the only one that isn't 9V is the FCV100, pretty sure that's 12V, but it runs on batteries.

It's been my experience that if it's not designed to run on 9 volts, the plug won't fit... I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule..

Read the back of the pedal.. it should tell you what the requirements are.. and if it uses one 9 volt battery to power it?... well there ya go...

Be careful using more than one power supply in your chain.. makes noise.. I hate noise...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by gateway01

Boss TR-2 (Tremolo)
Behringer HB01 (Wah)

looks like most of those run off PSA-120 style adapters, you've prob identified the one that doesn't. a one spot will work for ya.

Quote by gateway01

yeah, or plugging in a pedal with the wrong polarity (usually wrong polarity just sounds bad). many 'special' power supplies use different barrels so that you don't accidently use the 'wrong' power supply.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae