HEY GUYS
so after 2 years of playing an acoustic..ive decided its time to buy an electric and need advice on what kind of electric to buy so a couple of things to take into consideration...

1)The music i play are bands like blink 182 , greenday, my chemical romance , and all that pop punky shit
2)i really want a solid guitar that i can practice soloing on and all that stuff, i want to be able to play fast.
3)i can afford a guitar in the price range of $250-$750 (does it come with an amp? :p)

yehh im also worried about the fact that fretting on an electric is different to an acoustic..is that a major hurdle? or do u get over it quickly :/

thanks guys
Quote by deepfat
I think for you, a Fender HSS Strat would be worth a look. Dual humbuckers, very well-rounded guitar. Would try a few out because the Mexico strats can be somewhat inconsistent.

http://www.samash.com/p/Fender_Blacktop%20Stratocaster%20HH%20Electric%20Guitar_1309600

That would be a HH strat strat, if it has two humbuckers... HSS would be one humbucker and two single coils
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
That would be a HH strat strat, if it has two humbuckers... HSS would be one humbucker and two single coils

Oops, you're right. I stand corrected. Edited.
Epiphone LP standard, LTD EC-401,PRS Tremonti SE are all good places to start your search. A Strat with H-H or H-S-S will work.
If you go used you can get a much higher quality instrument than new.

As for amps, Something like the Peavey Vypyr, Fender Mustang, Vox VT would be good for a really versitile amp, if you want to get a modeling amp.

If you want to stay away from modeling amps, take a look at the Jet City JCA amps JCA 20, Blackstar HT-5, Bugera V22 will cover the music your after.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would suggest one with dual humbuckers that have coil taps/splits.That way you have the best of both worlds.I would also suggest a Dean,very good quality and a great company.
As for fretting: I've experienced that it's different yes, but actually easier on electric as the action is lower (higher? I always get confused) so the strings are closer to the fretboard. Makes it easier to play faster.
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Take a look at some of the PRS SE guitars. They are really versitle and solid guitars. Also most of them are in your price range. The SE Custom 24 or Tremonti are both good places to start. I have a Custom 22 and I love it.
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
Just get a telecaster, it's much simpler and you'll be much happier in the long run.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by LZRocker
Just get a telecaster, it's much simpler and you'll be much happier in the long run.

Based on what?
What brand?
What model?
Please stop posting if you have no idea what you're talking about.

If I we're you ts, I would go for a lower end model of Ibanez. They are generally pretty good with a proper set-up and with a pup-swap (Which you wouldn't have to worry about till later on).
They are cheap so you can afford a better amp.

Also, it's generally a good idea to stay away from guitars that come with an amp.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
My $0.02:

Deans: my first 2 electrics were both Deans- an EVO Special Select and a Time-Capsule Caddy. I like 'em, but wouldn't buy one of their cheaper models (under $400), and I'd stay away from their "pointy" metal guitars under $800. Under that price range, ESP, Shechter, Ibanez & BC Rich do metal better. Consider a Custom 380 or Avalanche.

Fender: while I don't care for them personally- it's a feel thing- I can't find quality faults with their quality, generally speaking. There is a reason why Strats & Teles are classics, and are often imitated & tweaked by other guitar companies.

Ibanez: in this price range, you have a LOT of good options. Their Artcores give good bang for the buck, and there are some nice solid bodies to be had.

Epiphone: check out the Dot.

Amps: generally speaking, solid state amps are great for practice and run a tad cheaper, but valve amps sound better. It will be easier to make a bad guitar sound good through a good amp than a good guitar through a bad amp. So if you have to choose, invest more money in your amp than your axe.

Because I don't play in a band, I bought a Korg Pandora Px4 to practice with using some headphones before I saved up the $$$ for a Fender HRD. My only regret in that regard is that I really could have done with a smaller amp- its a bit much for my present needs, and I never get it over 4.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 4, 2011,
Please answer as many of these questions as you can, so we can give you some real advice, instead of shots in the dark.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You know what else is in this price range? The Carvin Bolt kit! If you're at all handy, you could have your hands on a nice little guitar for not a lot of money- just $400 for the hardtail, as I recall. $450 for the kit with the tremolo.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 4, 2011,
Definitely look used. There are some great deals on Craigslist sometimes. I got a PRS SE Santana for $375 and a 25-watt Randall amp for $25 because some guy needed to make a car payment. It's been awesome. You can get the guitar new for $700, but I dont think they make the amp anymore.
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
Quote by Kyleisthename

What brand?
What model?

Brand:
Dude, Telecaster, assumption would be a fender or squire.
Model:
Whichever seems more attractive to him at the moment.

A few things are decided by the TS.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.