Hi, I am currently looking into recording, i hear everyone saying get an audio interface, but i don't know what does it actually do or what should i look for in an interface? any help? thanks!
if you want to record with your computer you'll need someting that converts the analog signal that comes from guitar/bass/vocals/whatever into a digital one with which a recording software (cubase/audacity/whatever) can work with. it's pretty much like a soundcard but with much better sound quality and more possibilities (i.e. more inputs, build-in pre-amp)

what exactly do you want to record?
An interface isn't the only option. You'd need one of those if you want to use your computer, however you should also look into getting a purpose built multitrack recorder.

Essentially both methods do the same thing, however assuming you already have a reasonably high spec PC getting an interface can be the cheaper way to get started, but there is also a significantly higher learning curve.

Multitrackers are far easier to get used to, but are obviously slightly more expensive - there are always some good used deals on ebay though.

If you're wanting to get seriously into recording, an interface/PC/software combination provides the most different options, however you need to spend a lot more time working on mixing your recording rather than playing your guitar.

If you're just looking at recording yourself for your own purposes, I'd definitely recommend the multitracker - as they're being used for their intended purpose you know you'll have everything you need and they are far easier to get used to than PC based recording. I've been using them for years and have never found anything I can't do on them that I'd need software for.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If you have the $$$$ the Tascam 2488 neo is the way to go.

Check ebay if you can not buy new they are a beast and very easy to use.

I had a zoom R-8 and it was a bitch but the Tascam 2488 neo is as easy as using a tape recorder.
Quote by leesops
If you have the $$$$ the Tascam 2488 neo is the way to go.

Check ebay if you can not buy new they are a beast and very easy to use.

I had a zoom R-8 and it was a bitch but the Tascam 2488 neo is as easy as using a tape recorder.

This is good advice. When I bought mine, I couldn't find a Neo (the latest version of the 2488), but I got the MkII and it's excellent. Like Leesops said, it's as easy as using a tape recorder
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Poisonouspot
I love my mother my father my sister and my 2 brothers nathan and najae and my boyfriend Jevaughn Mcleish
Thanks to everyone at zip, fame fm, music 99 fm, everywhere people in Portmore (Gaza),rockhall(middleofnowhere)
ForgivemedeargodofallmysinsandtransgressionsIamsorrythatieverdoubtedmyself.thatgodexistediloveallthepplthathelpedmetogethereGod