Figured it was too late to introduce new bits in the amp thread I started earlier, so hear's this one.

Researching different amps, and I'm coming across valve amps, tube amps and micro amps. What are the pros and cons of each one, and which are better suited to metal guitar?
tubes are valves and micro just relates to size so you're confused there. the 2 main categories are tube and solid state. there are also modeling amps which can be either of the 2. tube is definitely the way to go for a good metal amp. if you're looking for suggestions we need wayyy more info as to what type of metal you like, what guitar you have/are getting, a list of bands you think have good guitar tone, and a budget.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Valve and tube is the same thing. Valve is the British word and tube is the American word.
Micro amps are (I'm guessing) small amps.
Valve amps are much better (lots of people say its personal preference, which it is, but everyone ends up wanting a valve amp). But valve amps are also very expensive.
The real name a micro amp is generally solid state, which is cheaper but considered considerably worse but can still be reliable and great for the money and higher wattage for the money. I suggest learning more about it before buying because when you buy and only then learn what makes an amp good it can give a terrible feeling that you wasted a lot of money
ahk, I had another thread called "good budget amps?", I just wanted to get the answer you gave and it was a little late in the piece to start adding stuff to the existing thread. Cheers
Valve and tube amps are the same thing, using vaccuum tubes rather than transistors to amplify signals. By micro amp I assume you mean small solid-state amps with a power rating of only a couple of watts.

Tube amps are the way to go for metal, really, if you can afford it. The sound's more organic and full than a solid state amp. However, if your budget or home situation don't allow for a tube amp (they tend to be loud and expensive) there's nothing wrong with getting a good solid-state and upgrading later down the road. Something like a micro amp is also definitely more portable, which could be a plus.
Quote by Goodtimes666
tubes are valves and micro just relates to size so you're confused there. the 2 main categories are tube and solid state. there are also modeling amps which can be either of the 2. tube is definitely the way to go for a good metal amp. if you're looking for suggestions we need wayyy more info as to what type of metal you like, what guitar you have/are getting, a list of bands you think have good guitar tone, and a budget.

Dude! Awesome rig you got there! I know... Slightly random.
i didn't realize how recently you made that thread, its ok to ask new questions in an existing thread for future reference
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by itamar100
Dude! Awesome rig you got there! I know... Slightly random.

thank you sir!
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby