So i do this as a picking warmup. On every string for 4 minutes each, i pick 16ths at 100. This is my current limit. If i continue to do this everyday, do you think that I will be able to push it up to 16th's at 120 within the next 3 months? and maybe 150 within 6 months? thank you
Perhaps rather than just one string, run a scale using all strings or something. Switching strings when playing fast is harder than on just one string.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Perhaps rather than just one string, run a scale using all strings or something. Switching strings when playing fast is harder than on just one string.

Which is precisely why it can be good to practise picking only with one string at a time. No reason to get ahead of yourself.

4 minutes sounds a bit much to me. For stamina this sounds optimal, but I personally wouldn't be able to concentrate for that long (heh, maybe it really is just me). The important thing is to FOCUS that your picking motion is small (ie. economical). If you watch TV at the same time you will easily do ineffective practise. Also, make sure your arm is not tense.

Yes, you should improve quite fast if you just keep doing this.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
You'll probably be able to get to 120 pretty soon, but bear in mind that you also need co-ordination for alternate picking and while this will increase your max right hand speed it won't necessarily increase your actual alternate picking notes speed.
If you keep practicing anything with alternate picking at the highest tempo you can play relaxed and clean you will improve faster.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by macashmack
So i do this as a picking warmup. On every string for 4 minutes each, i pick 16ths at 100. This is my current limit. If i continue to do this everyday, do you think that I will be able to push it up to 16th's at 120 within the next 3 months? and maybe 150 within 6 months? thank you

Depends on how much time you put into it, but thats a really solid way to get it down man

As for the comment of 4 minutes being way too much.. i think it is actually way too little time!! Practice each string for 40 minutes a day and i bet you, you would be at 150 bpm´s in soo little time.

Anyways i repeat myself everyday but, dont worry about speed, worry about acuraccy , relaxation and economy of movement, that way you are working on the fundamentals on speed
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 4, 2011,
No, this is a bad way to build speed.

First off, you're only doing 24 minutes of picking practice a day. This is not enough to build up to 160 bpm in 6 months, full stop.

Practising at your max is good for stamina but unless you have very good economy of motion and relaxation, you're just ingraining your bad habits.

Unless you plan to do only tremolo picking, you need to co-ordinate every pickstroke with precise fretting. This is why people spend years working on picking, and why it's so hard to build speed - because you have to be extremely precise and quick with both hands.

Finally, the hard part of picking is crossing strings accurately. You aren't practising this at all, and yet this is the most important thing to practice.

I would recommend playing almost anything else as being much more beneficial for picking - and more fun. You could pick through songs, licks, scales, arpeggios... whatever, and it'd be better than this.

Read the main sticky for now.
I assumed you were gonna work on crossing strings too right ? :P
Im in no way in a position to contradict you FP, but i swear it works.

On of the principles of learning is to learn one thing at a time and break them down in little parts right?

By practicing only picking on each string you are getting used to each string tension and only concentrating on it, no need to worry about left hand coordination or anything else, just you and your picking

When you get comfortable with every string, you add string crossing on adjacent strings.

When you get comfortable with that you add non adjacent strings.

Then you add left hand coordination (precise fretting) and "only worry" about it because you "kinda have your picking down".

I wish i had some kind of evidence to back it up appart from a "Buckethead supposedly did it claim" and "it has been working for me" :/

Im as usual assuming you work on perfecting everything as slow as you need to, as relaxed as you can and with the best technique possible.

Anyway even though im kinda claiming that to be an effective way,
follow FPs advice, he has way more experience than me.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 5, 2011,
FP, did you change your username or something?

OT: I guess this'll get you some nice stamina, that's pretty much what I need I guess cause I do fast runs and everything and it's all clean and whatnot but I just cant pick faster at some point... so right hand speed might be right on time for me
Working a single string for a few minutes I find quite beneficial if you're having trouble generally picking the string (for example I've done it as an exercise a few times because I've had trouble playing the low E string). It's only useful if you fully pay attention to your right hand while doing it though - you might start noticing weird things about your picking technique. For example, I used to (somehow) push my thumb into the body of the guitar when playing the low E. It's also quite good to do for a few minutes at the start of a practice as it gets your right hand used to the feel of each string again.

However as others have said it's not going to help that much with moving between strings or right hand left hand coordination. Maybe a good way to do it would be to do a few minutes of just picking the string, then changing it to a few minutes of (assuming sextuplets)

---------15--14--12--15--14--12----
-------------------------------------------

then a few minutes of the following starting with a downstroke, then another few minutes of it starting with an upstroke (for practicing inside and outside picking)

---------15--14--12-----------------
-----------------------15--13--12---
----------------------------------------

Excuse my not particularly neat tab... also I haven't thought this through particularly in-depth but it's likely to be more beneficial than just droning a string for ages. Not that there's no benefit in doing it - I do it a fair amount and find it to be very beneficial for improving my right hand picking and getting a feel for the strings, but in practice having a very fast right hand on one string is useless if your left hand can't keep up.

Just as a side note but I found a great exercise for hand synchronisation is to do this for each finger:

-------------------------------------
------12--0--12--0--12--0------
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
@Blackened
are you a guitar teacher?

if not! please become one!! you have a thing for explaining things and putting concepts together in a insanely smooth way.
Quote by Slashiepie
@Blackened
are you a guitar teacher?

if not! please become one!! you have a thing for explaining things and putting concepts together in a insanely smooth way.

thanks - no I'm not, just a hobbyist. I'm actually a software developer...

Besides, my music theory and improv skills are somewhat lacking, I don't think I'd be particularly good as a guitar teacher :P
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)