Page 1 of 3
Hey guys,

it's time for me to get a new amp. I currently have a Marshall MG15DFX. It's good cuz it includes reverb and delay, but i just need a better one.

I enjoy Marhsalls but there is a huge huge range of amps and i'VE no idea where to start.

I play Malmsteen, Stach, Zappa, Bowie, Hendrix, blues, classical, SOAD, Slipknot... So what is a good Marshall series for these artists? (I don't want signature models!!!)

My budget isn't extremely high 400€ at most, MAYBE 500€. I want something loud enough for a decent concert (not 15w).

So?
You're not getting a real Marshall unless you get a tube one, but the only tube one you can afford is a class 5. A 15W tube amp will play a decent concert, but Marshall doesn't make a 15W tube amp.
Quote by FearMyLightning
You're not getting a real Marshall unless you get a tube one, but the only tube one you can afford is a class 5. A 15W tube amp will play a decent concert, but Marshall doesn't make a 15W tube amp.

They make the Haze 15, which is a 15w tube amp.

OP, about the only Marshall in that price range that would do all of that would be the DSL 50 or DSL401.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by FearMyLightning
You're not getting a real Marshall unless you get a tube one,

Why?
Marshall's SS and hybrid amps are crap. Most SS and hybrid amps are crap, but that's several thousand different threads.

The best Marshall in your price range is probably a Laney.
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
Why?

Because all of Marshall's solid state amps (with the exception of the Valvestate 8080, perhaps) are awful.

The 'Marshall tone' you hear from all the big name artists comes from their tube amplifiers. Their SS amps cannot and will not get that tone no matter what.

You might want to expand your search from just Marshall and look at some other brands, such as Peavey and Laney, who may have amps that are better suited to what you want to play.

I'm not sure if you can get a Laney GH50L in that budget but if you can it will do pretty much everything you're looking to do.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
Why?

The quintessential Marshall tone is tube. The only time you've heard someone use a Marshall has more than likely been a tube unless you were listening to Death or Static X.
Quote by Raijouta
Because all of Marshall's solid state amps (with the exception of the Valvestate 8080, perhaps) are awful.

The 'Marshall tone' you hear from all the big name artists comes from their tube amplifiers. Their SS amps cannot and will not get that tone no matter what.

You might want to expand your search from just Marshall and look at some other brands, such as Peavey and Laney, who may have amps that are better suited to what you want to play.

I'm not sure if you can get a Laney GH50L in that budget but if you can it will do pretty much everything you're looking to do.

Do you mind listing the Marshall amps that are valves then? Never mind the price range, just to know.
Quote by Raijouta

The 8080 is NOT an exception at all, it's a total pile of crap. Roc is right, a Laney tube amp is a better way to go or maybe an old Peavey Windsor.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The 8080 is NOT an exception at all, it's a total pile of crap. Roc is right, a Laney tube amp is a better way to go or maybe an old Peavey Windsor.

I only said perhaps because of the consideration that Death used that amp, and a lot of people seem to like Chuck Schuldiner's tone for some reason.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Maybe consider a JVM210H? They can be had on ebay for around $1000 usd, which is above your budget, but I don't know what else to suggest. I don't really know what else to suggest as the only Marshall tube amps I've played are a JVM210H and a MA50C (Which sucked for metal, btw)
Quote by Raijouta
I only said perhaps because of the consideration that Death used that amp, and a lot of people seem to like Chuck Schuldiner's tone for some reason.

No accounting for taste, huh?
Seriously though, they are pretty bad. 8080's sound like a cat being dragged across a chalkboard by its tail - oh yeah, that's Death aint it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 4, 2011,
YYMM buddy every time you make a thread it seems to lack any research on your part. you really make yourself out to be a total n00b. it's not likely that anyone is going to list every marshall tube amp considering that they have been making them for almost 50 years.

you may want to look into Laney's as tehy seem to be a more affordable option in Europe. also a used Peavey Windsor studio may be another option. while not a marshall a Peavey valveking could probably be found and it will give you much of what you want tone wise (not the old marshall crunch exactly though). i manage to get a reasonable yngwie tone with mine.
Peavey Windsors are JCM800 copies, although I've heard the head's aren't really reliable. I have a Windsor cab, but nothing to compare it to, so I can't really give an opinion other than it sounds "good."
Quote by Cathbard
Seriously though, they are pretty bad. 8080's sound like a cat being dragged across a chalkboard by its tail - oh yeah, that's Death aint it?
Early Death, yes. But later on the Symbolic album the tone was something more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbp60IX_jFQ

Also listen to any bit of Prong and tell me that that sounds like a cat being dragged across a chalkboard.

At TS: You could try looking around for a used DSL 2000 combo. I've seen those go for pretty cheap. It's has the real Marshall sound and you should be able to use it with all of those bands in your post.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Dec 4, 2011,
Well, I'd say save up for a used JCM800 (or less preferably JCM 900).

Quote by greeny23
the 100w MG wouldn't be bad for you.

Actually, yes. Yes, it would.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter

Actually, yes. Yes, it would.

No, the MG is the pinnacle of Marshall engineering! Pure tone!
Quote by Sputnik1

i know youre being sarcastic, but i'm serious.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
i know youre being sarcastic, but i'm serious.

Why only have 15W when you can have 100W of pure tone? Oh now I got you.
Quote by Sputnik1

It also has CRUSHING OVERDRIVE!
JCM2000 DSL401 is probably your best bet TS. They often go pretty cheap and are quite a nice sounding amp. You'll have to be patient and/or save a few more bucks though. A DSL50 would be better but there is usually a bit of a price jump between the 40 and the 50. I am talking used of course.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
Hey guys,

it's time for me to get a new amp. I currently have a Marshall MG15DFX. It's good cuz it includes reverb and delay, but i just need a better one.

I enjoy Marhsalls but there is a huge huge range of amps and i'VE no idea where to start.

I play Malmsteen, Stach, Zappa, Bowie, Hendrix, blues, classical, SOAD, Slipknot... So what is a good Marshall series for these artists? (I don't want signature models!!!)

My budget isn't extremely high 400€ at most, MAYBE 500€. I want something loud enough for a decent concert (not 15w).

So?

http://viewitem.eim.ebay.eu/Marshall-JCM-900-1x12-Dual-Reverb-50w-Combo/190603290612/item

http://viewitem.eim.ebay.eu/Marshall-Master-Lead-1x12-Combo/190609925983/item

I'd go with the Master Lead, they're great little amps.
Quote by kyle62
Ever tried it? It sounds fantastic.

yes ,many years ago and as i recall it did sound ok but fantastic i dunno.
the AVT series valve state sounds very good for being a hybrid. They are very inexpensive used right now. The MA series which is their budget line. Is absolute crap. Stay far way from it.

The class5 marshall is a class A tube amp that sounds very sweet. It's a low wattage but high quality amp. It gets loud enough to fill a room with sound. It is just not loud enough to fill a venue. For home use i would nominate it as the best marshall for the money because the tone is equal to their more expensive and classic amps.

Both choices are good.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
Don't Blackstars seem a bit Marshally? They could be a decent option IMO, they sound pretty nice and arent really a breaking the bank price compared to a brand new marshall...now thats in the combo range, i have no clue on their heads for prices.

This. They're not all-tube, they're hybrid, but that isn't a synonym for bad. I really like the Blackstars, personally, and they can definitely nail a Marshall tone. The guys that started Blackstar worked for Marshall before starting Blackstar, and they make some really great amps.

If you want a Marshall but don't want to deafen your neighbors or spend an ass load of money, get a Blackstar.
Quote by Blktiger0
This. They're not all-tube, they're hybrid, but that isn't a synonym for bad. I really like the Blackstars, personally, and they can definitely nail a Marshall tone. The guys that started Blackstar worked for Marshall before starting Blackstar, and they make some really great amps.

If you want a Marshall but don't want to deafen your neighbors or spend an ass load of money, get a Blackstar.

The guys that brought us the Marshall Dark Ages. Not really a recommendation. Thankfully they no longer work at Marshall and took their hybrid fizziness with them. What they nail is the tone of the worst Marshalls ever made. If you want to annoy your neighbours with fizz then get a Blackstar.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The guys that brought us the Marshall Dark Ages. Not really a recommendation. Thankfully they no longer work at Marshall and took their hybrid fizziness with them. What they nail is the tone of the worst Marshalls ever made. If you want to annoy your neighbours with fizz then get a Blackstar.

Ok, so when exactly did they work at Marshall and what exact amps did they work on? What has Marshall done since then that is better than what they made? Have you ever used a pedal to boost your amp?
That horrid period between the JCM800 2203 and the DSL. What have they made since that is better? The DSL, the Vintage Modern, even the JVM. Hell, even the TSL is better than the 4100.
Whether I ever use a pedal or not is immaterial, I have the option to turn it off. If the SS stuff in front of a Blackstar could be bypassed I'd have no issue. I know where you are going and even with that lame argument it doesn't excuse a SS phase inverter.
The JCM800 2203 was the last real tube amp they made that wasn't perverted with diode clipping until Jim put his foot down and went back to real tube amps with the DSL. The SL/X was obviously a stop gap measure between the 4100 and the DSL in an attempt to restore some of Marshall's credibility. Just look at the circuit, it's blatently obvious what they were doing. A quick fix that removed the worst of what was wrong with the 4100. It was obviously a rush job. They replaced the SS crap at the front with a tube but didn't get around to redesigning the master volume section or even add a second gain control.
I can just see Jim standing there yelling, "I don't care if it loses some functionality. Get rid of all that crap in the front end and just get it out there!!"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification