Has anyone tried these? I've read the reviews on this site and others and they all seem to say that the Amplugs are pretty good. I was considering getting one but I'm not sure if I want the Metal or the Lead version.

I play mainly metal and instrumental stuff like Buckethead, so obviously I'm not going to want cleans from this. I want a bright-sounding distorted tone, with fairly low mids and good sustain. I'd be playing these guitars through it:

Kramer Vanguard Fr-440s with alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, Kramer LFR, bright-sounding quad-rail pickups in drop D

Strat copy with alder, basswood, or possibly plywood ( ) body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, blocked strat-style tremolo, bright to medium-sounding DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge in Eb standard

So would you recommend the Metal or the Lead Amplug? I've been told that the Metal is more distorted with a scooped sound, and the Lead is less distorted with a more balanced sound. But from the demos on youtube it's hard to compare them because the demos for the Metal one are mainly chugging with no lead, and the ones for the Lead are basically the opposite.

Thanks for your time
I've got the AC30 one and it's nice enough given the format. It does sound extremely thin however, even with a neck humbucker running through it. I'm sure either of those models would be decent for silent practice, but the quality of tone would be pretty limited
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
I have the Classic Rock one, and gives such a nice crisp tone perfect for blues rock. The let down is the lack of versatility. Incredible useful for staying up late to play guitar though!
I haven't played either of those models, but I'm sure they'll be just as good for a different purpose.
You want the lead one dude. Not for the effect which is a rather shoddy delay but for the extremely nice tone. Its a lot brighter than the metal one.
as others have said, they are great for what they are, but no versatility.

i owned the metal one for a while and it sounded like you were playing EMG's at full distortion all the time. granted, when i wanted that sound, it was awesome.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I have the metal version and I like it alot.You are right ,you won't get cleans from it but it is great for a metal tone.If you turn the gain to 2 you can get a good AC/DC tone,and turn up the gain for METAL!It will deliver that deep tone if you want,however I set the tone to 9 for a more bright tone.It is very handy when I want to play silent,don't want to set up the full rig,or want to play somewhere else in the house.A 100 watt head and 4x12 are not very portable.I have not tried the Lead one so can not give a direct comparison,but would I would buy the metal version again.
Thanks a lot everyone

It's good to hear that they produce a decent sound; and obviously I'm not looking for versatility from something that's named after the genre that's meant to be played through it

Quote by xxunder-takerxx
i owned the metal one for a while and it sounded like you were playing EMG's at full distortion all the time. granted, when i wanted that sound, it was awesome.

yeah I'm really not too keen on that tone, I think I'll go with the lead version.
The quality of tone out of an amplug has a lot to do with what headphones you use. However, even with the best headphones money can buy don't expect them to actually sound like the amp they are trying to emulate. They are good enough to hear yourself and practice silently but don't expect too much.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've owned both the Lead and Metal ones, and like people have stated, they're practice tools and don't sound much better than that. Plugging them into good sound systems was a hoot, but through headphones they sound just like every other "practice-amp-thing-with-headphones"; kinda bad.

For what it's worth, I sold the Metal one and kept the Lead one, as the only thing the Metal one did better was modern brootz; the Lead is better sounding overall, by a good bit, and to me the Metal tone for anything but rhythm was really awful. The Lead at least had enough mids in it to sound decent, the Metal one is so scooped that the leads played through it sound horrid, at least to my ears.

Overall, a fun little option for practice, but not much else.

EDIT - Plus, the Lead was just as tight and articulate as the Metal, the EQ was just different.
Last edited by lumberjack at Dec 4, 2011,
I have the AC30 one.. It's pretty good. Of course, it doesn't sound exactly like an AC30, but it still sounds good. It's not too noisy either. If you want loud volumes, it's not very loud, so that might be a problem. Otherwise, it's good. I kind of wish I could attach it to my guitar strap instead though.
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
Obviously I know it's not going to sound like a real amp. It's just a convenience thing, and I can't practice when my dad's home, which seems to be all the time...
Quote by LRCGUITAR
Obviously I know it's not going to sound like a real amp. It's just a convenience thing, and I can't practice when my dad's home, which seems to be all the time...

Then I'd recommend picking one up; that's what they're designed to do, and the Lead one does a good job of it for under $50.