hey guys, im into recording, im currently using an alesis multimix into my crappy PC with cubase but im getting a mac super soon and am gonna redo my whole recording setup, so thats where i need your help, whats a good firewire interface for mac?(im thinking that i shouldnt need anyore than 4 inputs) and if possible i would like it to come bundled with a DAW. any ideas?
but with firewire u can assign each track to its own track in your DAW but with usb you can only record two tracks to seperate channels (atleast thats how my interface is now)
Quote by j1o1s1h1b1
but with firewire u can assign each track to its own track in your DAW but with usb you can only record two tracks to seperate channels (atleast thats how my interface is now)

Don't tell that to my buddy whose running 4 separate USB channels on on his Presonus Audiobox 44VSL...
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
ok well in that case, then whats a good a good interface that will allow me to record tracks onto seperate tracks in my DAW? usb or firewire
Pro Tools MBox 3 comes with Pro Tools....there are different sizes with different number of inputs. I have the MBox 3 Pro and it works awesomeeeeeeee. And, obviously, Pro Tools=winning like Charlie Sheen....so yea.
Quote by Darkness in Zero
Pro Tools MBox 3 comes with Pro Tools....there are different sizes with different number of inputs. I have the MBox 3 Pro and it works awesomeeeeeeee. And, obviously, Pro Tools=winning like Charlie Sheen....so yea.

Pro Tools is only winning if you actually have a good setup. Not an Mbox. Besides, the version that comes with the Mbox's is PT8 LE. They're up to PT 10 now. Also, the LE version is just shit. People need to actually know what they're talking about before they post.
budget?
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by lockwolf
Pro Tools is only winning if you actually have a good setup. Not an Mbox. Besides, the version that comes with the Mbox's is PT8 LE. They're up to PT 10 now. Also, the LE version is just shit. People need to actually know what they're talking about before they post.

How in any way is it shit? (both the mbox and the le) Please educate me since, according to you, I don't know what I'm talking about.
How in any way is it shit? (both the mbox and the le) Please educate me since, according to you, I don't know what I'm talking about.

The LE version has always been crippled with bugs. Its not as bad as M-Powered but it still has a good share of bugs compared to to PT|HD. The Mbox's are known for having subpar preamps compared to other audio interfaces in its price range. Hell, you can buy Focusrite Saffire for half the price and the quality is way better.

Also, like I said, it comes with PT8, not PT10. Theres actually enough of a reason to jump from PT8 to PT10. Its a lot smoother running, has a lot more features and offers a lot more flexibility if you plan to upgrade.
as far as budget, i would say nothing more than $300 (unless u can convince me that theres a $400 interface that i absolutly must buy. also, wich way should i look to go? firewire or usb? any differnce or one better than the other?
looking around i found this, its not a firewire but from the sounds of it itll allow me to do 8 tracks at a time right? comes with cubase? what do you think? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/computer-audio-interfaces-convertors/tascam-us-1800-usb-2.0-audio-midi-interface

or this one looks even better, and its 100 bucks? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/computer-audio-interfaces-convertors/tascam-us-800-usb-audio-midi-interface/485396000000000
Last edited by j1o1s1h1b1 at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by lockwolf
The LE version has always been crippled with bugs. Its not as bad as M-Powered but it still has a good share of bugs compared to to PT|HD.

I haven't had any bug issues In fact, my buddy with fl studios has a ton more tech issues than I've had with it, but idk.

Quote by lockwolf
The Mbox's are known for having subpar preamps compared to other audio interfaces in its price range. Hell, you can buy Focusrite Saffire for half the price and the quality is way better.

I'm sure there are better interfaces around, I wasn't trying to claim the Mbox was the best, I was just saying it was a good option as it came with the software as well. My apologies if it came across that way.

Quote by lockwolf
Also, like I said, it comes with PT8, not PT10. Theres actually enough of a reason to jump from PT8 to PT10. Its a lot smoother running, has a lot more features and offers a lot more flexibility if you plan to upgrade.

But you can upgrade from 8 to 10 for a cheaper cost than buying the software brand new, correct?
I haven't had any bug issues In fact, my buddy with fl studios has a ton more tech issues than I've had with it, but idk.

I'm sure there are better interfaces around, I wasn't trying to claim the Mbox was the best, I was just saying it was a good option as it came with the software as well. My apologies if it came across that way.

But you can upgrade from 8 to 10 for a cheaper cost than buying the software brand new, correct?

I've had more bugs with LE than any other version of PT or most other DAWs I've had. The only one that had more bugs that LE was the cracked version of Cubase I had for a while.

Its mainly a price to value. You're looking at $329 for an Mbox Mini with PT LE in it. The Mbox's are known for having shitty preamps. Compared to something like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which is $150. Same amount of inputs as the Mbox mini but the preamps are much higher quality. Sure, you aren't getting Pro Tools but its probably not something I'd recommend for someone thats newer to recording. Pro Tools is its own monster.

You can upgrade from PT8 to PT10 but its $500. Though I know Sweetwater & Musicians Friend have Mbox's Bundled with PT9 starting at $600. Supposedly, you get a free upgrade to PT10 so it kinda makes it worth it. Then again, once you get into the $600 range, you can buy a pretty damn good interface and a separate software and get much better results than you'll ever get with an Mbox

Also, sorry if I jumped your shit. I do that a ton here. Just living up to the name