Meh I'm just gonna cut to the chase

Budget - Probably $150 or a little more.
Genres - Alternative rock, stuff like The Strokes and Foo Fighters and all that fun stuff. I like Nick Valensi's tone a lot.
New or Used - Doesn't matter to me. If I can find a good pedal for $150 new, great. If I can find a better pedal for $150, even better.
Home or Gig - Mainly home. I occasionally play open stages, but not too often.
Closest City - Peoria, Illinois. We have a Guitar Center, a Craigslist page (there's never really much there though), and the local shops here don't really have used pedals.
Current Gear - Fender Deluxe Player Stratocaster with stock pickups (Noiselesses), Fender Musicmaster with the stock pickup (basically a Strat neck pickup), a B-52 AT-100 half stack. Also, I'm thinking about trading my B-52 for a Fender DeVille 2x12.

I'm not concerned about visuals unless it's absolutely hideous and makes me want to stomp on it without any reason besides trying to kill the hideous thing. But I trust that there aren't that many hideous pedals so I'm not concerned. I want a pedal to be used as an actual distortion or overdrive, not just a transparent boost. Those Distortion and Overdrive combo pedals are nice, but I don't need one if it's a good pedal.

Thanks in advance.
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
digitech bad monkey is a good pedal, though i've got the digitech screamin' blues which is absolutely perfect for what i use it for which is a bit of overdrive for a bluesy guitar lick.

i do also have a marshall the guv'nor distortion pedal but don't use it that much so can't give you an opinion on that to be honest but i've heard good things about them.

sorry i couldn't be much more help.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Maybe a Paul Cochrane Timmy? Fulltone OCD? Catalinbread WIIO?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I recommend the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde. Nick Valensi uses the same thing but the V1 version. The v2 isn't much different other than it has an adjustable noise gate and bass switch.

It should be 150 give or take.

I really prefer the combo pedals just because its nice to have the ability to be more dynamic and boost yourself or go clean. Combo Dist/OD pedals essentially add 3 channels.

I currently use of of these. It really reminds me of a J&H(which I also own and love) only with far less gain.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Twin-Overdrive-2-Channel-Overdrive-Pedal-TS-808TS-9-Tones_p_2174.html

Stay Frosty!
Main Gear:

Xaviere XV-870
w/ 2 "Dream 180" Humbuckers + Mid Boost Mod + Coil Tap

Peavey Classic 30

Modified Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Digitech Bass Synth Wah
GFS Twin Overdrive
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Line 6 DL4
Boss ME-70

lovepedal superlead
hardwire valve distortion
zvex distortron
mi crunch box
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
Fulltone OCD is quite the beast. I don't own one, but a guy in the band I used to tech for used one. Very powerful sound.

Personally, I use an AMT DistStation. Very versatile, very powerful. One of the tightest, best-sounding distortions I've ever used.
Gear
Taylor 214CE
PRS SE 245, PRS Tremonti Custom
Carvin V3 short stack
Pedals
AMT R2|Morley Mark Tremonti Wah|Mojo Hand Rook|MXR Black Label Chorus|Source Audio EQ|TC-E Flashback, Hall of Fame & Vortex|VFE Enterprise|Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Quote by Raijouta
Maybe a Paul Cochrane Timmy? Fulltone OCD?

One of these would be my suggestions. timmy if you want to run it for some moderate grit, OCD for heavier stuff
Ahh! I have too many demos to watch... Awesome.
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
Nowadays Nick Valensi uses a Visual Sound Double Trouble, which is two Route 808s (the overdrive side of the Jekyll and Hyde.) I'd go with the Jekyll and Hyde because it's versatile and Route 808s are great.
Initial thoughts:
OCD - It sounds great, but a little... decompressed? that sounds like the right word
Timmy - I love it... But it's out of my price range
Jekyll and Hyde - I really like it and it's affordable. Definitely a great option.
Double Trouble - While it's the pedal that Nick Valensi uses, I don't really like it. Is that weird?
Bad Monkey - Err... I'll pass...
WIIO - Really like it, and it seems pretty versatile. I'll consider it as well.
Germanium 4 - Sounds a little over the top. I might still look into it though.
Big Muff - Still seems pretty nice, but not exactly what I'm looking for.
Fuzz Face - Same as the Big Muff. Sounds good but not what I'm going for.
Rat - Wow, that price is rather surprising for the tone. I might consider it.
Green Rhino - Seems a little much as well.
Superlead - Sounds great, but still a little too much for my needs.
Distortron - I like it.
Crunch Box - I'll pass on it.

I think that's all of them! So, I've narrowed it down mentally to the J&H, WIIO, Rat, and Distortron. Any other suggestions?
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
+1 to the valve distortion. the hardwire line is usually a pretty safe bet. the tube overdrive might also be worth looking into just to see which one you like better.
Okay, so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the Distortron. Thanks for your help, everyone.
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth