I WANNA LEARN TO GO LIKE THIS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8li0nHvVH0&t=5m37s

I never learned to do the blues improv thing, cuz every lesson ever is so so BOOORING. Here's a 12 bar blues (dam-da-ram da ram da ram) here's "the blues box" that everybody knows, here's how ya bend, knock yourslef out kid...

BUT.. I am prepared to learn all of what is necessary if I can throw down like that.

Lets get one thing out of the way, I'm not talking about "the feeling"part of playing like that, but rather the "nuts and bolts" part of it. John obviously knows the scale (pentatonic Im guessing?) and has played it to all hell all around the neck, so whether he goes way up high, or way down low on the neck, every note he plays sounds like a ****ing freight train on fire...

How and what do you practice, to learn to do that? As detailed as possible.

Try and understand me. Look at this way. Imagine a 12 year old kid who's never played guitar, seeing John do that and going *I WANNA LEARN TO DO THAT!*. How'd you explain it to him? Except I've got most of the fundamentals down, and have been playing guitar for like 4 years, I just never "studied" it, just learned lots of song by ear.
Quote by Roc8995
Kirk Hammett should just build a wah into his goddam shoes.

Quote by dyingdivinity
wat is pokemanz?
I'm not gonna lie, that was bad. I'd help you if I could, but I couldn't stand to listen to that much longer.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Learn the scale, learn a lot of licks, use those licks in the scale= win

Oh and yes, that's called wanking off live on stage, it's good on live shows to get the crowd going, but it could have been MUCH better
You mean making random noise? Better learn how to make music, seriously i couldnt stand listening to it. Its basically just some crazy bends, and some slides and even more slides and bends with a wah wah. Nothing hard, i dont think this is a good example of frusciante's playing
Anyone else just hear sloppy playing, flat bends and over-use of wah ?
Last edited by mrbabo91 at Dec 4, 2011,
Damn, this sounds like the last 4 bars of a Pantera solo. Over and over again.

But really, learn some Dimebag.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
^This
Hendrix was one of John Frusciante's biggest influences.

Learn a ton of Hendrix tunes. and of course a ton of Frusciante's tunes.

John Frusciante is an explorative artist (as are many) explore your guitar and gear and find out what kind of things it can do.

Best of Luck to you.
Si
Play lots of random notes on the G string, bend some of them.

It really is an awful solo.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Err there's probably only about 4 or 5 notes played...use wah, distortion, don't pay attention to the chords errrr

Gary Moore would be a better choice, or anyone really. John's stuff used to be really cool though, especially on Mothers Milk.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Oh certainly, Frusciante's a much better player than that solo demonstrates.

TS, what you don't seem to realise is that the kind of stuff you want to play pretty much IS the blues improv thing you thing is so "boring".

It's the same kind of chord progressions, the same scales, even a lot of the same licks and phrases. Learning to play the guitar is like building a house, you can't build the roof until the walls are there, can you?

Learning to play those slower blues solos is building your walls, that's going to give you your basic skillset when it comes to learning to solo...not just from a technical point of view but also from a musical point of view, teaching you to construct a melody, tension and release, how to follow chords and stuff like that. As you learn and develop those skills you can do more with them, but you have to learn to walk before you can run.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
TS

If you are that impressed by that, go listen to some gary moore improv. It will blow your mind.
go to YouTube... put "Blues Backing Tracks" in the search bar...

Learn your blues scales and use the scales to improvise to the trax... Start slow and build your skills...

Just an Idea.. Blues is Blues... it's just a matter of distortion after that..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by mrbabo91
TS

If you are that impressed by that, go listen to some gary moore improv. It will blow your mind.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??