Poll: WotM - November 2011 Poll
Poll Options
View poll results: WotM - November 2011 Poll
rushmore
10 63%
Cobrevolution
6 38%
Voters: 16.
This was hard, but I voted for Cobrevolution. You guys both had great months though.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Remember when we'd have 6-8 people contending for this?

Cobrevolution had a pretty okay month, also, his/her first piece is from October...I mean, not to be a stickler or anything...
People used to have to fight for the front page, too. There are certainly fewer people posting here these days. But not to worry, we still make the best of it - or try to, at least!

Regarding the posting datr, we agreed that it would be okay to have a piece that was posted a few days after or before the month in competition, so the 28th of October, or whatever it was, is fine.
Yeah. It was definitely pretty exciting here back in the day. The dynamic has sort of left. But, it's still a nice place.

And, it's fine either way, I was mostly kidding. I'm hoping Cobrevolution wins anyway. He/she deserves it. I have nothing new to say if I win again anyway.
Quote by jiminizzle
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8327702 like so??
42 votes is pretty awesome. of course it wasn't quite like that every month but the number of voters is something to aspire to.

yeah, but... three people voted for themselves and

Retribution said: "What's with all these kids who are NEVER in S&L suddenly voting? It's really weird..."

also, we had like four contestants last month. that was cool. i wish we could get more votes and activity. don't know what we could do though, i often used to 'advertise' this place/some of the comps in the Writers thread in the pit and in my sig. i think that thread's probably dead by now too. it was fun having multiple threads hitting two pages and stuff. i say we kidnap pitmonkeys and show them the light.

on topic: i'll be doing some rereading before voting
yeah i noticed that stuff too but then i looked at the names and i knew 30 of them. 12 randos isn't a bad thing and the writing that month was pretty impressive.

if 43 people vote in this poll ill send nudes to dan.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
for the record, I remember being the tie-breaking vote on that poll. Ret deserved it. also, corey . also, I think it may just come down to changes is culture, the 2000's were for bright eyes, brand new, sufjan, and other singer-songwriting-sad-poets. now people mix beats. plus, most of us were finishing up highschool/starting college and were at that age when we thought anything was possible with our writing and were young and selfish enough to think everyone wanted to hear it. now that group is older and gone and new blood has no one regular to look up to.

but, truth be told, i still find a lot of solace in this place and i think we're actually doing pretty well for ourselves.

but now back to the poll! good poetry guisssssseeeeee!
Tough Call going Rushmore.. it lookes like its neck and neck.
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Quote by cubs
i say we kidnap pitmonkeys and show them the light.
You start it off and I'll follow.

Quote by ZanasCross
*runs off to register 42 other accounts*

Dan... I expect forwarding.
You expect forwarding? I'm forwarding them to everyone.
Quote by #1 synth
for the record, I remember being the tie-breaking vote on that poll. Ret deserved it. also, corey . also, I think it may just come down to changes is culture, the 2000's were for bright eyes, brand new, sufjan, and other singer-songwriting-sad-poets. now people mix beats. plus, most of us were finishing up highschool/starting college and were at that age when we thought anything was possible with our writing and were young and selfish enough to think everyone wanted to hear it. now that group is older and gone and new blood has no one regular to look up to.

i also thought about this, but didn't want to get all nostalgic

also, shit, do we at least get half-nudes ????

aaand questions sent
^

Quote by #1 synth

In Bold: Where I think I am right now

I respectfully disagree about having no one regular to look up to, majority of the people posting nowadays are great and as a noob I do nothing but look up to them.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
^

I respectfully disagree about having no one regular to look up to, majority of the people posting nowadays are great and as a noob I do nothing but look up to them.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
^

Agreed, 100%. Nothing else I can add to that. My only gripe though -and its certainly selfish- I wish I could have a proper conversation with some of the more polished writers about how to do certain things ect. and how they achieve some of the things they do with their pieces. But of course, these people have lives
You take my place in the showdown, I observe with a pitiful eye. I'll humbly ask you forgiveness, a request well beyond you and I.
I've seen quite a few conversations among some of my favorite writers saying they would be willing to help newer/less experienced people on a very personal level.
knowing that someone wants to listen and learn would encourage a lot more in depth and more frequent criticism for him. so don't be afraid to ask!

there was a "mentor" program for a little bit that would pair people up but it didn't last too long but if people are actually interested we could do something like it, maybe even a little less formally.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
That'd be good. Great, even. It wouldn't have to be long, I think my problem is my approach and temperament to writing and I'd like to see where writers that I appreciate on here are coming from.

However, how could we begin to try to put something like you suggested together?
You take my place in the showdown, I observe with a pitiful eye. I'll humbly ask you forgiveness, a request well beyond you and I.
Honestly man, if you send a PM to one of the regulars (someone who is fairly active still); I don't think any of them would begrudge you the 10 minutes of answering a question and talking about technique. I don't think it needs to be a big social program (we've tried it before, as mentioned, and it failed); if you take the time to send a message, and they receive it, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that wouldn't help as they could. Some people never check their messages... so if you send it and nothing has happened in 5 days or so... leave a message in the Community Thread like:

"Hey #1_synth, I sent you a message a few days ago... could you please let me know if you received it. Afterwards, I'll delete this post. Cheers."
Quote by ZanasCross
Honestly man, if you send a PM to one of the regulars (someone who is fairly active still); I don't think any of them would begrudge you the 10 minutes of answering a question and talking about technique. I don't think it needs to be a big social program (we've tried it before, as mentioned, and it failed); if you take the time to send a message, and they receive it, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that wouldn't help as they could. Some people never check their messages... so if you send it and nothing has happened in 5 days or so... leave a message in the Community Thread like:

"Hey #1_synth, I sent you a message a few days ago... could you please let me know if you received it. Afterwards, I'll delete this post. Cheers."

yes, this. i don't think we need an established social program either. honestly if you like a writer here send him/her a PM. i've done it and it works. i remember a few years ago i added something_vague to msn and talked to him for a while, he even sent me the short story collection he was working on at that time. i also received a PM the other day from someone saying a piece of mine inspired something he wrote and stuff. i think that's awesome, interaction, etc. i honestly love talking about writing and the process behind it and everything.
pm me, i got so much shit that no ones ever read that is great. plus i know a thing or two about stuff when i have time to say it. pretty busy now but i really do like giving advice about writing. its one of those things where what i preach is so much better than what i practice. hit me up brah
it's the popularity contest stuff that drives people away. or that's a part of I think. wotw/wotm is ok, but i think it shifts the focus of this forum from development to showmanship. too often one of the regular contenders has a decent piece up that's frankly not as good as the credit you all give it, and his/her post will have comments out the ass. everyone just jocking the guy like he's not just a ug nerd. meanwhile if you scroll down and look for the commentless, meek noobs you can find a goldmine of potential or at the very least tell someone how awful their fist attempt is and send them down a better path as a writer.

i know I'm a bit of an outsider and I come and go from these parts but what brings me back is the potential. s&l needs a revolution to get there though. I'd love to see someone like subwaytovenus or zanas post a poem that didn't read like a finished product. or any one of you guys stopping to help one of these 13 year olds writing rape and murder lyrics find his voice.and before anyone calls me out on not doing any crits at all anymore, I access the net from a broken Pantech phone. it blows.

anyway, just my thoughts.
polls closed but fo sho rushmo
I want Super Saiyan abilities
It takes a large number of regular and experienced members to crack an entire forum of writers who have the potential to be good or great because there is 90% rubbish, to be frank, to ciphon through. We've tried focusing on new talent and encouraging it but it's a lot of work, a lot more than simply offering a harsh critique every now and again.

The popularity contest is most certainly not encouraged by the moderation team. I know for sure in myself that I do not hold one writer above another over and over again just because I like their style. And I'm pretty damn sure cubs doesn't either. There are only two of us at the moment but the past two mods, Carmel and ZanasCross, didn't do that.

People are driven away because writing is scary. No matter where you go on the internet writing forums will always be a tough nut to crack. You have to get over your own insecurities, and they are sometimes held back further when the regular users are all simple praising each other for being consistenly great. But this is their forum as it is for newbies.
Quote by rebelmidget
it's the popularity contest stuff that drives people away. or that's a part of I think. wotw/wotm is ok, but i think it shifts the focus of this forum from development to showmanship. too often one of the regular contenders has a decent piece up that's frankly not as good as the credit you all give it, and his/her post will have comments out the ass. everyone just jocking the guy like he's not just a ug nerd. meanwhile if you scroll down and look for the commentless, meek noobs you can find a goldmine of potential or at the very least tell someone how awful their fist attempt is and send them down a better path as a writer.

i know I'm a bit of an outsider and I come and go from these parts but what brings me back is the potential. s&l needs a revolution to get there though. I'd love to see someone like subwaytovenus or zanas post a poem that didn't read like a finished product. or any one of you guys stopping to help one of these 13 year olds writing rape and murder lyrics find his voice.and before anyone calls me out on not doing any crits at all anymore, I access the net from a broken Pantech phone. it blows.

anyway, just my thoughts.
polls closed but fo sho rushmo

Not sure what you mean by that

I haven't seen people giving unnecessary praise just because of the person who posted it, I've seen (and given) exaggerated praise; but that doesn't change the fact that I like the piece itself, not just the writer. I could be wrong, but there isn't as much cliques and shit in this forum as other ones. I've only been here six months, and I've got crits from regulars/veterans/new comers alike. I've got praise, and rough bashing. It's not just S&L that people are being "driven away" from, The Pit and all other forums have been getting slower lately. Not as much people on as before. Maybe it's to do with there being more people from my generation (who are mostly dealing with GCSEs, A Levels, Uni, SATs whichever). Either way, this is probably just a seasonal thing.
S&L's lack of activity has been getting worse and worse over the last two years - it's not a seasonal thing. Some have been denying it, but it's quite obvious now. Why that is I don't know. We've experimented with what it might be. It's probably just the way things are. It might change again in a couple of years.
Quote by rebelmidget

i know I'm a bit of an outsider and I come and go from these parts but what brings me back is the potential. s&l needs a revolution to get there though. I'd love to see someone like subwaytovenus or zanas post a poem that didn't read like a finished product. or any one of you guys stopping to help one of these 13 year olds writing rape and murder lyrics find his voice.

I guess I'm not sure what I'm being called out for?
Not to be a douche to you rebelmidget, but the ironic thing is, ZanasCross has, to me, always written things 'off-the-cuff'. It's all very unscripted and natural. I don't know whether he's a bad example of what you're trying to say or whether that is your point.
the issue with S&L and its diminishing returns is that the regulars don't even critique each other anymore. it has always been a community if nothing else. going way back to when i first started posting here, the regulars didn't critique every new guy that posted something, but they always had words for each other. if a new guy showed potential he would be recognized, or if he asked for help and made an effort to join the community, he would be accepted, but it was always the people who really care about this place giving back to each other. that's what's missing now. i'd be lying if i said i'm not guilty of it myself as i've read pieces from Jimmy, Saadia and Matt in the last couple days, all people who i feel a sense of community with, and left those threads without saying anything. i don't know, it just feels like the people are around they just aren't together anymore, and if that were fixed, new members would probably be more interested in posting here. no one buys real estate is a ghost town, you know?
the brevity of this response will echo the brevity of most of my comments lately (about to embark on a fat old drive north and want to hit the road), but I think I agree with the above from Nick.
Maybe [<-buzz kill word] I'll start printing out poems from here and put more time into reading/trying to find suggestions because I don't wanna spend hours in front of the computer. It's always been easier that way for me anyway.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me