I looking for a tube amp that isn't a lot of money. Mostly for a practice amp, but would like to be able to be heard over a drum kit.
So I am looking at the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe(40W) and Fender Blues Jr(80W).(Both used)
Which one is better? I play jazz, blues, blues-rock, classic rock....
I play guitar.
Last edited by TheWho2 at Dec 4, 2011,
Quote by TheWho2
I looking for a tube amp that isn't a lot of money.
So I am looking at the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe(40W) and Fender Blues Jr(80W).(Both used)

The Blues Jr is 15W not 80W.
Quote by Sputnik1
The Blues Jr is 15W not 80W.

so there isnt a 80W model, that means the person selling it is lying...
I play guitar.
The Blues Junior is 15 Watts.

And will you be gigging? And if so, do you need pristine cleans?

Quote by TheWho2

Not a good sign.
RIP Adam
I love the Hot Rod Deluxe

Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jet City JCA20H
Orange PPC212
ZVex Fuzz Factory
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9
Boss DD-7
Digitech Whammy IV
I can tell you one thing, the Hotrod is loud as hell, not realy a practice amp, still a great amp
Quote by TheWho2
I looking for a tube amp that isn't a lot of money. Mostly for a practice amp, but would like to be able to be heard over a drum kit.

Get a Kustom Defender instead. Similar to the Hot Rod, but much nicer.
I have a Blues Junior and have two friends with HRDs... Basically my Blues Junior sounds better but theirs are louder. If you are OK with having to really push your amp to keep up with drums then the BJr is fine, but if you want pristine cleans over a drummer get the HRD.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I have a Blues Junior and have two friends with HRDs... Basically my Blues Junior sounds better but theirs are louder. If you are OK with having to really push your amp to keep up with drums then the BJr is fine, but if you want pristine cleans over a drummer get the HRD.

Spot on. I used to gig with a Blues Jr and it doesn't do pristine cleans at gig volume, but it overdrives brilliantly and it's got mojo. The HRD is almost the opposite; nice cleans with plenty of volume, but the drive on it is very harsh and fizzy.
Quote by TheWho2

Don't touch that one then. Find another.

A Blues Jr. will be much better as a practice amp than a Hot Rod, but it's pretty likely that you'll have a hard time getting over the drummer and staying clean. Are you able to mic the amp at all?
I would go for the hot rod. It can get loud enough to be heard over a drummer, but you can also turn the volume down for practice. The blues jr. has to be cranked to get over a drummer and you lose your clean tone.

I have a hot rod and I use it for practice, jamming, and gigging and I really like it. If that counts for anything.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by TheWho2
I may or may not gig with it. But I would like it to be heard when jamming with my friend who plays drums

here are the listings:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120822119224?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250944258386?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

i eventually gave up on my blues jr. was too hard to keep up with other players and
still get the tones i wanted.

i also wouldnt get a hot rod. not a huge fan.
i would give a budget and ask for other suggestions.

also, like said, the guy selling that amp either,
A) knows nothing about amps (might be looking at
the Max watt rating on the back of the amp)
and should be avoided.
or
B) knows that the amp is 15W and is trying to up the price to
someone a little less knowledgeable. and should be avoided.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011