So i recently got a Line6 UX2 thinking i would get some awesome tones from it, i am
disappointed to say the least. I can get some decent clean tones from it but when i try making a good distorted sound it sounds like shit.

All my tones sound very thin and just generally bad, i've dual toned with differnt cabs recorded to cubase and then then copied the sound again and spent hours of EQing but with no success.
I've tried a number of presets but they all sound like crap as well.

I use a J&D les paul with emg 81/85 pickups connected to my ux2 and then i plug in headphones directly to the device.

What am i doing wrong? Please help.
You need to look up impulse response loaders as they are the key to a good amp sim sound.

Also PodFarm isn't the best (although you can get good tones out of it). Check out the Poulin amp sims. Those with impulse response loaders sound great.

Also are you EQing the amp sim by itself or with other instruments playing, and are you playing with other instruments or by yourself?
I have the same problem with my Pod X2 (XT? I don't even remember now). Proof of it is in my profile. I'm thinking that in the future I may just mic my Vypyr and run that through the Pod as an interface, the Pod just sounds bad to me.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
What headphones are you using? A lot of the time it can be a problem on the output side of things more than the program itself.

Also try using the line 6 cab sims on podfarm and the off axis mic, for me thats what sounds the best
Use impulses and Double track that sh--
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
Headphones - Some Razer headset, so it's not really good for music.

I've tried pretty much every amp in the program and i even bought the metal shop addon but it still i can't get a good tone.

I'm playing by myself tried EQing the amp and with the 4 band EQ, recording into Cubase with Superior drummer.

Just a quick question with double tracking etc; can i just record one track in Cuabse and then copy it, thus giving the effect of double tracking?
No, doing that will only increase the volume and make the track sound mono. The whole idea behind double tracking is to get the subtle nuances between takes; no matter how good a player is, every take will be different and thus your ears will be able to differentiate between the two takes, creating a proper stereo spread.

Can you post a clip of one of your songs? It's important to remember that while a guitar tone may sound weak or thin by itself, in the context of a mix it may be perfect. I've always found dialing in tones with POD Farm to be really easy. The only EQing I usually do besides a highpass around 120hz and a lowpass around 8khz is a surgical cut at 3khz to get rid of the plasticy grossness.

Here are some tone demos I did a while back with only the processing mentioned above:

Mississippi Criminal (5150)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/Tone%20Test%20Stems/Patch-5150.mp3

Cali Diamond Plate (Triple Rec)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/Tone%20Test%20Stems/Patch-CaliPlate.mp3

I'll upload the patches later today when I'm at my desktop.
Let's party.
Last edited by Odirunn at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by Odirunn

Mississippi Criminal (5150)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/Tone%20Test%20Stems/Patch-5150.mp3

Cali Diamond Plate (Triple Rec)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16210823/Tone%20Test%20Stems/Patch-CaliPlate.mp3

I'll upload the patches later today when I'm at my desktop.

Please do , i wish my tone sounded that good!

I will upload a demo later today.

Edit: here's a short demo.. Please excuse my mediocre guitar skill, it's one lead and one rhythm guitar.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/noxo/music/all/play1065746
Sounds pretty thin, not close to what i want it to be.
Last edited by noxo at Dec 5, 2011,
Besides the clean tones, POD Farm, in general, is pretty lackluster on the Standard version. It really only sounds good with the model packs. You'd be much better off using free plugins from LePou or TSE.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Okay i tried quad tracking and it sounded much better, need to work on better timing though but it sounds much "fatter" now!
I strongly recommending switching to Gearbox for anything hard rock or heavy metal. It honestly just leaves Podfarm in the dust in that department.
Sounds like you're looking for good metal tones and I can't say that Podfarm can do much in that area. I think Amplitube is decent, as well as the Studio One Ampire but I still haven't heard anything that beats amp in a room.

You can try copying same track and spacing them on the fader left and right and using a bit of a delay on one side, like 1-2ms to create stereo widening, using a different vst plugin on the second track might also create a doubling effect that won't interfere with the spectrum as badly if you just used the same settings on both. Look up "stereo widening tips for guitar or vocals" or similar, there are quite a few articles.

Not sure if you can, but use Podfarm as audio interface and try maybe even one of the free vst sims, like LePou and their cab emulator.
Last edited by diabolical at Mar 4, 2014,
Quote by Dreadpool
I strongly recommending switching to Gearbox for anything hard rock or heavy metal. It honestly just leaves Podfarm in the dust in that department.

This thread is from over 3 years ago
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com