I'm a guitar player and I'm thinking about getting a bass in addition to guitar. But does my guitar knowledge, experience and exercises apply to bass? I mean, can I learn to play bass the same way I'm learning guitar?
No, not really. The way you pluck, fret and your mentality (as in, what you should watch out for, etc.) in a band are all different. However, whatever finger strength you have from playing guitar should be of some help, and also the music theory you know.
Basically, yes. Pretty much all you may want to change is if you didn't use a pick for bass. It is harder to play (thicker strings, wider frets), but doesn't take much getting use to.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
can I learn to play bass the same way I'm learning guitar?

Short answer - no, not really.

Long answer - sort of, but don't rely on it. There are some similarities in technique, but there are lots of differences in the way you play it and what you're playing on it. Don't fall into the trap of just thinking that it's a 4 stringed guitar, because that is far from the case. Bass is a rhythm instrument, which adds a whole bunch of extra elements that are notably less common amongst typical guitar parts.
It will help, but don't rely on it.
What do you get if you drop a piano down a mineshaft?
E--4-
B--4-
G--4-
D--6-
A--6-
E--4-
Quote by Ziphoblat
Short answer - no, not really.

Long answer - sort of, but don't rely on it. There are some similarities in technique, but there are lots of differences in the way you play it and what you're playing on it. Don't fall into the trap of just thinking that it's a 4 stringed guitar, because that is far from the case. Bass is a rhythm instrument, which adds a whole bunch of extra elements that are notably less common amongst typical guitar parts.

Aye, this be'ith sage advice, dear Kauk! A new musical quest awit'eth thee!

However many of thine "Rock God" poses of thine six-string'th banshee do translate from ye guitar to bass. Place one boot upon ye monitor and bang'eth thine head with virtuosity, be'ing one classic to keep in thine repetoire!
If thou reach'eth a level of supreme Bass Rock'manship: then direct'eth thine bass to ye audience as if a rifle, whilst thee finger pick, shooting scalding slabs of molten Rock upon ye crowde! (just as Lord Steve Harris!)

This post now concludeth!

WATCH YE TALES OF THIS VERY KNIGHT, AS TOLD IN YE ARTS OF CINEMA AND METAL:
> CLICK'ETH HERE <
it seems this gets asked every day by a guitarist. I don't seem to see many bassists asking the reverse on the guitar forums.
Quote by askrere
it seems this gets asked every day by a guitarist. I don't seem to see many bassists asking the reverse on the guitar forums.

acctually i have made the post in the guitar forum and not much reply. like the instuments i perfer my bass home more
Quote by andreww1996
acctually i have made the post in the guitar forum and not much reply. like the instuments i perfer my bass home more

huh?
Well, if I got this right, it's pretty similar in bare bones technique, but very different when you actually play music. If so, then thanks everybody.
Quote by Ye Black Knight
Aye, this be'ith sage advice, dear Kauk! A new musical quest awit'eth thee!

However many of thine "Rock God" poses of thine six-string'th banshee do translate from ye guitar to bass. Place one boot upon ye monitor and bang'eth thine head with virtuosity, be'ing one classic to keep in thine repetoire!
If thou reach'eth a level of supreme Bass Rock'manship: then direct'eth thine bass to ye audience as if a rifle, whilst thee finger pick, shooting scalding slabs of molten Rock upon ye crowde! (just as Lord Steve Harris!)

This post now concludeth!

This post is god-like.
Smoke 'em 'til ya die.
Quote by akarith
This post is god-like.

I would tend to agree

My two cents:

Your guitar experience will definitely give you a head-start on bass.

From there it will depend on how you plan to play the bass. Will you be a traditional bassist (rhythm instrument) or play a more exotic role?

You've probably also never slapped your guitar. Assuming you are interested in using the slap technique, it will probably take a little extra practice to get down.

One last thing, I've heard lots of bass players complain about wrist pain because they try to stick with the guitarist's "One Finger Per Fret" technique. This is fine if you have big hands or it doesn't cause pain, but you will probably find the low registers require you to use the "wrong" finger to make the span.

For example, when fretting the first fret with your index finger you may need to use your ring finger to reach the second fret, rather than your middle finger.

Happy Bass Fest!
I did the same thing, I'd been playing guitar for about 2 years and a band approached me about becoming a bassist. It isn't really to much of a difference except hitting the damn strings which is weird when you first play a bass but after a week you got nothing to worry about.
If you tend to take a lead bass role like cliff burton you best write new solo's, you can't really do any of that guitar shredding shit on a 4 stringer.
So basically, it will give you a headstart but you will have to re align your mind to play a bass.
Currently tormenting: FleaBass Street bass, Dean Edge 10A PJ, Wesley Acrylic 5, Fender Strat, Ibanez GRG250, H&S 6.
AMPS: Kustom Defender, Laney 300

Officer: How high are you?
My buddy: No officer, it's 'Hi how are you?'
Well, let me tell you that every instrument you play helps you learn to play other instruments. Like I have been playing trumpet for over 10 years, (started when I was seven) then I started playing bass (when I was 12, I don't have a bass guitar but I play in a band with my friend's bass). And two years ago I started playing guitar. And when I started playing guitar my bass skills improved a lot. And of course starting bass guitar after playing trumpet was easier than starting without having played any instruments before because I knew something about theory like what the note names etc. mean.

So the answer is yes and guitar background helps a lot when starting playing bass. Because if you know the scales and all that stuff you can use the same information with bass. It has the same lower strings as guitar so you know where you can find every note without having to learn it again. Of course you won't be able to play as fast as with guitar but again it really helps if you can play guitar. And I don't think you are going to play as fast with bass, bass lines are usually more simple and you don't usually play bass solos. And it doesn't sound good if you play some fast stuff with the lower strings/frets. Bass is more of a rhythm instrument and guitar is more of a solo or lead instrument.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115