Hi,

I just picked up my first Gibson Les Paul (I've always owned Epiphone models), and I need some help identifying it?

The seller said it was a 2005, but the serial is 01155553, which leads me to believe it's an 01 after checking out the Gibson Serials page. Below is a picture, but not my actual guitar. Same color/zebra pickups and all, but I don't think my top is as nice. He didn't know much about it, as it was his grandfathers.

The headstock just says Gibson, and "Les Paul Model" on it, but nothing else. The back is the serial stamped, as well as "Made in the USA".

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_9M6UVc_cNEQ/Suw6xX8cegI/AAAAAAAAAZ8/c520Fq8jgBQ/s720/71711464_tiXmgHXC__MG_0364.jpg

Just want a little more info on this baby!
Last edited by donniejean at Dec 4, 2011,
Also, the tuners say "Gibson Deluxe" , and the truss rod cover is blank? I thought they didn't have the blank TRCs until 2002-2008?
typically the first 2 digits represent the year of production, if i remember correctly

maybe the guy was misinformed
Looked on Gibson's website..

Here's what I came up with.. (or atleast my translation of it.. )

YDDDYPPP
YY is the production year
DDD is the day of the year
PPP is the plant designation and/or instrument rank.
The numbers 001-499 show Kalamazoo production, 500-999 show Nashville production. The Kalamazoo
numbers were discontinued in 1984.

Your guitar was produced on the 115th day (April 26) of 2005 and was the 53rd guitar produced in Memphis.

0|115|5|5|53
Y|DDD|Y|P|PP

Here's the website where I got my information..

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Dec 4, 2011,
Yeah, you were reading the serial number wrong. That's an 05 serial number. Digits 1 and 5 are the year, not 1 and 2.
Ah that makes sense! Thanks guys!!! I thought the YDDDYPPP was a typo, as I couldn't see why they wouldn't have the year as two digits in a row.
Quote by donniejean
Ah that makes sense! Thanks guys!!! I thought the YDDDYPPP was a typo, as I couldn't see why they wouldn't have the year as two digits in a row.

Yea.. I've worked in manufacturing for a lot of years.. and I still don't know why they jumble the code like that... must be a secret...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
^Still better than the way Fender does it. Gives you a letter and a number to represent the year and an arbitrary production number.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi