Hey guys

I'm looking for something that contrasts my tele for a bit of tonal variety. I love my tele, but I would like another guitar so that I may achieve a wider tone variety.

Key info
Budget: Between £300 and £600
Styles: Anything from blues to metal
Preferences: None, I'm open to any brand. Just nothing pointy.

I would love some recommendations that I can try next time I go guitar shopping.

Cheers

Dave
Hmm, do you want something thicker, thinner, softer, harsher etc.? I'm asking this because I've seen tele's used in many many different genres so I'm guessing they're quite versatile depending on pups.
I only have a tele, i simply dont like the sound of a strat. Anyway, i just use a lot of effects to get to the sound i like. Dont forget with some smart eq-ing/compressing you can get pretty cool results. I generally record and play through my studio/pc setup but i guess you could buy some pretty decent stomp boxes for that kinda money. A tele can be as versatile as you want.
£599 can get you a Gibson 60s Tribute with P90s.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'd go for a Jaguar HH. It has humbuckers instead of the Tele's single coils, a shorter scale, and like a million switches to change the tone.
I think something darker sounding would be good. Something like a Les Paul maybe, or something with humbuckers? Tele's are very bright and twangy, so something that is dark and rounded off would compliment that very well.

I would say a strat, but I don't think strats are too far off from a Tele sound-wise.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I'd think about a Gibson hollowbody. I don't know how much a 335 runs for in the UK, but its something to think about. I have a strat and a tele right now, and I think a 335s gonna be my next axe.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
You might check out the Ibanez artcore line. These are superb guitars at a reasonable price, and absolutely nothing like a Telecaster.
Congrats on looking for something different. I can't understand people who only have one guitar and say it is the only kind worth having.
Thanks for the replies everyone

Yeah I was thinking something on the darker side for sure, I was taking a look at Hagstrom Ultra Swede but something about it turned me off a little... I can't quite put my finger on what.

I in fact played one of the Gibson 60's tribute SGs the other week. It was good, nothing special, and I'm sure I might have been more in love with the pedal board I was playing.

I think a Gibson Hollowbody is a little out of my price range

As for amp, lets say Peavey Classic 30, I haven't got it as yet, but soon.

More replies, more ideas!

Thanks everyone
Well, as a very general bit of advice i would look for something with humbuckers to counter balance your Tele's single coils.

If you like the feel of a Tele you could always get a Blacktop one. Other than that i would recommend a Gibson or Epiphone of some variety
Quote by DaveyBoy11122
Thanks for the replies everyone

Yeah I was thinking something on the darker side for sure, I was taking a look at Hagstrom Ultra Swede but something about it turned me off a little... I can't quite put my finger on what.

I in fact played one of the Gibson 60's tribute SGs the other week. It was good, nothing special, and I'm sure I might have been more in love with the pedal board I was playing.

I think a Gibson Hollowbody is a little out of my price range

As for amp, lets say Peavey Classic 30, I haven't got it as yet, but soon.

More replies, more ideas!

Thanks everyone

Word of advice when testing guitars: Don't use pedals. Plug straight into the amp with everything at 12 o'clock. That way you are getting the real sound of the guitar, not so much the sound of the amp or any pedals.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Epiphone Dot
PRS SE Singlecut
New Pacifica range - I like the look of the 510v. 611 has an interesting PU config too. Guitarist mag seemed to like these the other month.
Some non-Fender HSS Strat. Or, a Fender Strat.

I like the look of Hagstroms. Never played one though. I'm always keen to buy stuff a little different. For variety, I'd be looking for some sort of Gibson scale guitar I think. Maybe something like an Epi LP Standard. I can certainly vouch for the quality of the PRS SE stuff.
Got it:
Pacifica 604w, Hohner G3T, PRS SE Soapbar I, Schecter Ultra I
Fender 'evil' Twin, Marshall 2554 combo
Insta-Les Paul. A Tele and a "regular" dual humbucker, mahogany body Les Paul are two completely different beasts for a number of reasons, so...thats what I think you should get

Depending on your preference, you could either get an Epi/Gibson Les Paul, or a more metal oriented version by LTD or Ibanez, or a more similar LP made by Hagstrom (Unless you don't like it :/ )

And if you don't like a Les Paul, maybe try and get a super-strat with a mahogany body, 2 (or 3) humbuckers, and a weight of 4.5 kilos or so.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Epiphone les paul/sg? Fender Blacktops are a good shout. Gretsch electromatic for the hollowbody market. Personally I couldn't recommend an SG more, but thats just me, more people prefer the LP.
Dude, where's my band?