I'm looking to potentially buy a (small, think 10-15 W) acoustic amp to practice and play around in my room.

Budget? - Ideal for me would be about $80 and my absolute limit would be about $150

Genres? - At the moment, mostly game music (Uematsu, that kind of thing) so It'd be like a bit of new age/celtic, that kind of stuff (mostly fingerstyle arrangement), also a bit of folk music (Irish drinking songs, that kind of stuff) and I plan to dabble a bit in acoustic rock at some point.

New or Used? - Whatever I can find.

Home or Gig? - Like I said, home. Obviously I won't complain if I find a cheap, used 30W amp or something but I'm initially looking in the 10-15W range.

Closest City? - Santiago, Chile

Current Gear? - Guitar: Walden N550CE with an onboard Fishman Presys+ and a Phonic Firefly 302 (firewire) interface

Things I've seen looking around both in retail and online classifieds/auction-sites are the Ibanez T10 (going for around $140), Freeman AK15 (I assume it's some kind of no-brand, these go for around $60), Washburn Wa20 (which go for around $85), I've also seen a couple Behringer Ultracoustic AT108 for about $100 and the Laney LA30C goes for about $200 new but I've seen a few used ones considerably cheaper than that. (Around $150 and even $100)

From these, what would you recommend? Or, if you have any suggestions of other brands/models to look for, I'll gladly take them!
Why do you need an acoustic amp to just play at home?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I want an amp because a) I won't always play at home and b) I want to be able to make decent recordings on the computer.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Nice OP

Unfortunately, I can't help you too much. You mentioned in another thread yesterday to someone else to check for used amps in Chili. Soooo.... what amps are out there used?

Fender acoustisonic?

Mostly what I described in the original post.

Edit: Oh and today I was having a look around and also saw (in retail) some Mercury brand (can't find any info on it so I assume it's either Chinese or Chilean) and also a few Stagg amps around the $100 mark.
Last edited by Lord Kamina at Dec 5, 2011,
Well for recordings it will help you a lot more to get some powered studio monitors to listen back to your recordings with.
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Lord Kamina
I have an interface and I have a mic but I still want to have an amp.

here's the sitch.

you defintely do not want to get a 10-15watt acoustic amp.

if you are recording, then you mic the guitar's sound hole.
or DI in.

if you want to do pub gigs, then you pick up a
small system PA for a couple hundred.
then you can add mics, or keys or whatev,
for practices.

any small practice acoustic amp wont be loud enough to gig,
or play wt others if they have an instrument.
or if you try to split the signal with a mic.

acoustic amps are expensive one trick ponies.

also, if you want to ignore this post anyway,
then at least don't limit yourself to acoustic practice amps.

i have a fender 25r i got for cheap.
put a nice speaker in it, and it gives me a great
on the spot clean for acoustic /electrics.
that can be heard at moderate levels.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
here's the sitch.

you defintely do not want to get a 10-15watt acoustic amp.

if you are recording, then you mic the guitar's sound hole.
or DI in.

if you want to do pub gigs, then you pick up a
small system PA for a couple hundred.
then you can add mics, or keys or whatev,
for practices.

any small practice acoustic amp wont be loud enough to gig,
or play wt others if they have an instrument.
or if you try to split the signal with a mic.

acoustic amps are expensive one trick ponies.

also, if you want to ignore this post anyway,
then at least don't limit yourself to acoustic practice amps.

i have a fender 25r i got for cheap.
put a nice speaker in it, and it gives me a great
on the spot clean for acoustic /electrics.
that can be heard at moderate levels.

The thing is; from what I've seen around here, most PA systems are really very expensive. I could buy a decent electric amp I guess but I've heard it thrown a lot that it just doesn't sound very good with an acoustic.

There's also the fact that I won't be able to get an electric guitar for a few years at least when I get an actual paycheck.

I'm not REALLY limiting myself to practice amps but I want to try and find an amp that's not utter shit and I'm just trying to be realistic with my potential budget. Like I said in the first post, if I can get a good deal on a decent 30W amp I'll definitely take it.

Either way, thank you for the explanation.
My best advice for your situation is just not to buy anything right now. Buying something within your budget won't actually help you any. Save up for a while until you can afford a small p.a. system

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Lord Kamina
The thing is; from what I've seen around here, most PA systems are really very expensive. I could buy a decent electric amp I guess but I've heard it thrown a lot that it just doesn't sound very good with an acoustic.

There's also the fact that I won't be able to get an electric guitar for a few years at least when I get an actual paycheck.

I'm not REALLY limiting myself to practice amps but I want to try and find an amp that's not utter shit and I'm just trying to be realistic with my potential budget. Like I said in the first post, if I can get a good deal on a decent 30W amp I'll definitely take it.

Either way, thank you for the explanation.

you're welcome.

i've owned them all. just trying to help
you avoid the mistakes i've made.

what's available to you?

are there any shops?

can you check out some practice electrics,
see if any give you a good acoustic tone?

trust me, they dont all sound like crap.

as for the pa systems, if you have access to
used gear, check out some systems.
you might be able to pick something up.

i even have a Harbinger powered speaker.
those things are big and work fine.

also, if you ever upgrade to a PA, you can add it
to the mix or use it as a stage or practice monitor.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
you're welcome.

i've owned them all. just trying to help
you avoid the mistakes i've made.

what's available to you?

are there any shops?

Mostly what I've described before. There's quite a lot of shops (and there's an actual shopping centre devoted 95% to instruments and the like) but most shops carry the same brands and are a lot more focused on electric guitars than acoustic or classical.

Quote by jj1565

can you check out some practice electrics,
see if any give you a good acoustic tone?

trust me, they dont all sound like crap.

I certainly can. Either way, what I buy (or don't) will probably be in a one/two months time frame; I'm currently in the research stage, trying to cover and weigh all the options, etc.

Quote by jj1565

as for the pa systems, if you have access to
used gear, check out some systems.
you might be able to pick something up.

i even have a Harbinger powered speaker.
those things are big and work fine.

also, if you ever upgrade to a PA, you can add it
to the mix or use it as a stage or practice monitor.

I'll definitely be checking them out too, any recommendations on that front?
Ibanez T10 (going for around $140),
Freeman AK15 (I assume it's some kind of no-brand, these go for around $60),
Washburn Wa20 (which go for around $85),
Behringer Ultracoustic AT108 for about $100 and the
Laney LA30C goes for about $200

I personally tend to steer away from amps made by Ibanez and Behringer
I know very little about Freeman
Washburn and Laney make very affordable quality products so I'd go in that direction.

jenny gave some great advice as well and knows quiet a bit about this stuff including PAs. I don't.

another idea would be to have the thread moved to Classical and Acoustic Guitar Forum as they talk about acoustic amps over there quiet a bit i think
There really is no point at all! For recording, you shouldn't be using any kind of amp. As for gigging - anywhere you gig, there's going to be a PA, otherwise there'd be no vocals.
if it were me, would take the cheap PA route. because that is what you will most likely prefer in the future if you play acoustics amplified, or worst case scenario you have a PA so it could come in handy for some gigs with a band. the nice thing about PA systems is that they are comprised of so many components you can upgrade little by little, if you buy used and sell used and condition is the same not lose much money.

i hate the sound of any acoustic/electric, the only way i would ever go is if i were mic'ing it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Lord Kamina

I'll definitely be checking them out too, any recommendations on that front?

ok so great, you've got plenty of time, plug into some electric amps, and check out
powered speakers (monitors). see what you like.

i picked up a 15" harbinger speaker on sale to ad to my yamaha PA system.

those are probably a little over budget tho.

i suggest you
find one with enough inputs so you can use it as a mini PA, and eventually add to
it with a powered mixer and more speakers.

you'll find behringer makes affordable starter gear.

but it's not always the most reliable.

ive had an ibanez Troubadour acoustic amp for like 5-10? years now.
it's the old 25W version.
it's been a good little amp, but again, the volume gets lacking when you
are jamming wt a friend.

maybe try out a few, come back with a few models you liked.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62