So before I get an expensive guitar, I've decided I want a guitar thats similar but to bash about on stage. The guitar will have a recessed floyd, 24 frets and a sustainiac and be a bolt-on. I have found 3 possible new guitars and I also have a Ibanez RG370DX-RRD that I could mod.

The first a Jackson DK2S http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=2911003803
Pro's: Already has sustainiac and battery box.
Con's: The trem is hit and miss and an OFR looks to small in the current route although a swap is possible. £650

Ibanez GRGa42T http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page11.php?area_id=3&data_id=212&color=CL01&year=2011&cat_id=1&series_id=479
Pro's: Mahogany body (my fav wood), i can get it for about £120
Cons: Trem will need replacing, battery box and sustainiac need to be installed.

Ibanez RGA42TFMZ http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page11.php?area_id=3&data_id=207&color=CL01&year=2011&cat_id=1&series_id=479
Pro's: Already has battery box and decent floyd, Mahogany body, with flamed top.
Con's: Not to cheap £470, will have to route tone pot and switches for sustainiac.

My current Ibanez RG370DX-RRD
Pro's: Already have
Con's: Finish doesn't stay on well and there is clay underneath it, trem is worn out, sustainiac would need switches and battery box installed. If I do repaint it I may use would fill to fill in the middle single coil as I never use it and it gets in the way. Will also need a new bridge pickup.

Sorry for the long post. So what do you think i should do?
btw a Sustainiac is about £170 without taxes.
id get the rga its a great guitar at the middle range price
....dont get the grg its a begginner guitar and imo nothing more

havent tried the jackson...so no opinion on it but the rga arecool
Last edited by supersac at Dec 4, 2011,
Of all the guitars you posted the Jackson's the best quality, and will require the least amount of work. I'd definitely go with that one. The sustainiac wouldn't fit in either of the Ibanezes, since neither is routed for a single coil. The Jackson's MIJ, and is leaps and bounds better than either Ibby.
Quote by blaaargh
Of all the guitars you posted the Jackson's the best quality, and will require the least amount of work. I'd definitely go with that one. The sustainiac wouldn't fit in either of the Ibanezes, since neither is routed for a single coil. The Jackson's MIJ, and is leaps and bounds better than either Ibby.

A humbucker size sustainiac is also available.

So does no one think it'd be worth modding my current ibanez?
Jackson
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
I didn't know that. Still, if you're going to get a new guitar, go with the Jackson.
As far as modding your current one, I'd say go for it. However, it might be a bit more work than you think. Taking out the middle single coil would mean you'd have to redo most, if not all, the electronics, since you'd have a couple dead spots on your switch.
Quote by blaaargh
I didn't know that. Still, if you're going to get a new guitar, go with the Jackson.
As far as modding your current one, I'd say go for it. However, it might be a bit more work than you think. Taking out the middle single coil would mean you'd have to redo most, if not all, the electronics, since you'd have a couple dead spots on your switch.

I don't mind doing the electronics, as i'm quite interested in that sort of stuff anyways. Still not completely decided, i'll probably go for the cheapest option, which will probably be modding my current one.
Quote by RockGuitarist09
So does no one think it'd be worth modding my current ibanez?

Because more guitars = better. You can mod your Ibby all you want, but in the end you'll still just have your RG.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Yep. I put 5 diff sets of pickups and several diff pots/ switches in my rg370, still didn't have the sound I wanted. One bkp set in my rg1570 and i was set. Start with a better guitar, then mod to your hearts content.
Quote by StateFarmsThere
Yep. I put 5 diff sets of pickups and several diff pots/ switches in my rg370, still didn't have the sound I wanted. One bkp set in my rg1570 and i was set. Start with a better guitar, then mod to your hearts content.

This is meant to be a gigging guitar, i don't mind if its not perfect. In my first post i said this would be a gig guitar before i bought an expensive one.

This should basically have the same features as my expensive one will have, but at a cheaper price, so that i don't mind if it gets bashed about a bit.
Thats cool, i'd gig with my best too. Mod your 370 if you want but its not gonna be as much an upgrade as you prolly want.