I've seen from my DVD that when moving chords you should finger chords in one unit, that is, land all fingers on the fret that needs to be fretted for a chord, at the same "exact time".

I'm having trouble landing my middle finger at the lowest string[fattest string]. My index and ring finger always arrive at the frets first. Please help? I want to move all three fingers as a whole unit and land on the g chord but I think I'm developing a bad habit and it keeps going like this.

My fingers for G is this

http://www.justinguitar.com/images/BCv2_images/131-G-chord-std.gif

I'm sorry if I'm being ignorant and this have been posted before. I'm sorry if it's in the wrong place to post[you can delete it or maybe move it to an appropriate forum MODS please?].
practice doing it right v-e-r-y slowly, slowly enough to be able to think about what you're doing so you can remember to do it right. the longer you do it wrong, the more you'll embed the wrong way into your muscle memory, so it makes sense to learn to do it right. i've had chords that took practice before i got 'em right, and practicing them fast didn't work because the issues kept happening.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
practice doing it right v-e-r-y slowly, slowly enough to be able to think about what you're doing so you can remember to do it right. the longer you do it wrong, the more you'll embed the wrong way into your muscle memory, so it makes sense to learn to do it right. i've had chords that took practice before i got 'em right, and practicing them fast didn't work because the issues kept happening.

The thing is I just noticed that it has become a bad habit :[ while recording my fingers today to recap everything. I will try going super slow but this habit is so hard to break even at the ultra slow pace.
Ok. I think it's staring to work. Woo hoo. Got to keep repeating this slowmotin thing though cause I soon as I let my mind wander off I go back to not moving as a whole unit <_<"
I don't play a G chord like that. It kinda takes your index finger away and makes it hard to switch to say, a C chord. Where you put finger 1 (index), I put finger 2 (middle). Where you put finger 2 (middle), I put finger 3 (ring). Where you put finger 3 (ring), I put finger 4 (pinky). Either way the G chord is definitely a stretch at first, but once you get it you'll wonder how it could possibly seem hard. Just practice it a lot, making sure every string sounds clearly.
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
I put finger 2 (middle). Where you put finger 2 (middle), I put finger 3 (ring). Where you put finger 3 (ring), I put finger 4 (pinky)/QUOTE]

I tried your way. My little pinky is not adapted to this. I don't want to muscle remember a new way >_>"

Just have to keep this koala super slow chord change relearning thing going xD. I think I will get use to it over two days or so. I hope to at least.

I have no trouble landing as a unit with Dm, E , Em and A. Just with this G chord cause I can't stretch far
stick with the justin guitar method. his chord changing lessons are great. doing it your way will make it easier in the long run. i play it both way... mostly the way your learning it, sometimes its more convenient to use bikes fingering. overall the one your learning is better.... koala super slow is the way to go.
Quote by stepchildusmc
stick with the justin guitar method. his chord changing lessons are great. doing it your way will make it easier in the long run. i play it both way... mostly the way your learning it, sometimes its more convenient to use bikes fingering. overall the one your learning is better.... koala super slow is the way to go.

Yeah.

I'm learning from Justin. The best free website ever for guitar players in mu opinion. At first I though Marty Shwartz was good but Justin is really the better teacher and a better site format.

Btw thank you guys for your input. It's good to hear some people's feedback instead of trying to figure out everything by myself.
your doing fine with it. just saw the vid you posted. got that G down already ! good job. coupla months and you'll look back at that and see just how far you've come already. you look ready to branch off with that G.
Good job! For your first time playing in front of a camera, you looked pretty relaxed. That you saw a slight flaw in your chording technique, shows a good eye for detail and great attitude towards being the best you can be. All those little but important details add up, and in time, make a huge difference as you progress.

Good luck, have fun, and keep up the good work.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by CrazyandLazy
The thing is I just noticed that it has become a bad habit :[ while recording my fingers today to recap everything. I will try going super slow but this habit is so hard to break even at the ultra slow pace.
OK, my guitar teacher told me to just strum through the chord changes anyway.

I wouldn't admit that you can't pull off a G Major open chord cleanly. Some smart alek, like for example me, might tell you you would be better served with a different hobby.

Deprive me of that pleasure, practice, practice, practice.

Besides, that really isn't the best way to finger that G chord. Use your pinky to hold down the high G, and the middle and ring fingers for the bass notes. That leaves the index finger to fret the "C' (1st fret B-2) and enables a cleaner and more rapid change to the C Major open chord. (Maybe that's tabbed somewhere near here)?

Quote by CrazyandLazy
Quote by IMtBike
I put finger 2 (middle). Where you put finger 2 (middle), I put finger 3 (ring). Where you put finger 3 (ring), I put finger 4 (pinky)

I tried your way. My little pinky is not adapted to this. I don't want to muscle remember a new way >_>"
Your pinky needs to get adapted to this, it's the way forward. Saying, "I don't want to learn", is self defeating.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 4, 2011,
Quote by Captaincranky
OK, my guitar teacher told me to just strum through the chord changes anyway.

I wouldn't admit that you can't pull off a G Major open chord cleanly. Some smart alek, like for example me, might tell you you would be better served with a different hobby.

Deprive me of that pleasure, practice, practice, practice.

Besides, that really isn't the best way to finger that G chord. Use your pinky to hold down the high G, and the middle and ring fingers for the bass notes. That leaves the index finger to fret the "C' (1st fret B-2) and enables a cleaner and more rapid change to the C Major open chord. (Maybe that's tabbed somewhere near here)?

Your pinky needs to get adapted to this, it's the way forward. Saying, "I don't want to learn", is self defeating.

What is nice about the UG forums, is that after posting a reply, by using the edit button we can correct spelling, grammer, and punctuation, one thing it can't fix is someone with a complete lack of social skills.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by BlackbirdPie
What is nice about the UG forums, is that after posting a reply, by using the edit button we can correct spelling, grammer, and punctuation, one thing it can't fix is someone with a complete lack of social skills.
Being politically correct generally lacks a reality check feature.

I feel that there have been times, (many times), I've convinced myself I either, "didn't want to learn" something, didn't "feel like learning something", or simply "refused to learn something. I'm fairly certain that these occasions have held me back.

So, if you'd like to argue semantics, that which you call, "a complete lack of social skills", I tend to categorize as, "tough love".

Quote by CrazyandLazy
....[ ]..... I don't want to muscle remember a new way >_>"
This was posted in response to a suggestion for a different fingering for the G major open, (a better, more useful fingering, IMO, provided by IMtBike ). It struck me as a bit stubborn and childish. In response, the OP got a touch of "tough love".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 5, 2011,
I've actually been having problems with this too. I can usually land my third finger and first finger near simultaneously (maybe with the third finger leading a little) but I always land my first finger a little late. This doesn't lend itself to fingerstyle so I've been practicing in a silly little way that I head Justin Sandercoe teaching in his Air Changes lesson. When I'm waiting for stuff to compile at work I practice making the changes on the back of my wrist. Sounds daft but I find it's making me faster on some of the chords (A and D particularly). G to C is still a challenge, but I'm getting there!
Quote by Onboardg1
G to C is still a challenge, but I'm getting there!

G is a long reach horizontally and C is a long reach vertically. But it's so much fun. Hard stuff makes me feel good when I get through them.

I practiced a lot yesterday and today doing the slow motion changes. It worked!!! I find that my fingers subconsciously tend to want to go back to the old way(not moving in a full unit) but I think 2 or 3 more days of practicing will do me good permanently.

You'll get it soon too. All we need is more time to practice.