for a while now, ive noticed that every time i pick up the guitar, no matter what im playing, somewhere in the riff/etc i find some way to mess it up and make mistakes. no matter how long ive been playing it for or how long ive known said riff. it happens with riffs that are new and riffs that ive known for years. even at band practice which is a weekly thing for us, somewhere i mess up in like almost every riff. i know no ones perfect but its pretty extensive id say. even when im doing demo tracks i have to do track after track just to play something right one time through. its really frustrating. especially with like simple simple like post rock stuff that i made up myself. it could be anything.

idk what the root of it is, but i know its been going on for at least a matter of years, the main reason im realizing only now is that in the past year to year and a half maybe two years or so i havent been able to play as much as id like, especially the past 3 months because of a wicked school semester. im finally picking it up again and sitting down with it for a while which feels good but this little issue frustrates me. and i know it might be a bit worse just because i havent been playing as much lately, but i know its been going on for alot longer.

anyone else ever experience this? how do you think i can over come it? or perhaps rather, increase the tightness of my playing?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
I experienced this, and I kinda still do. It used to be much worse for me about a year ago...
From what i've experienced, it kinda just goes away in time. Also, breaking down what you're playing, even if you can already play, will help.
Gear

Guitars
Ibanez ART 300
Squier Strat
Godin 12 string Antique cedarburst
Ibanez RGD 320

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Peavey Solo 15 W
Fender 10 W

Effects
Dunlop GCB - 95 Crybaby wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Boss MT-2 Distortion
It probably comes down to technique... To perform effortelessly you have to play things that feel really easy, and to feel easy you have to be relaxed and have technique that allows you to play without thinking.

Maybe you're trying thing that are too hard for your skill level... Practicing them is obviously ok, but performing things that are not 100% under your control is not a good decision IMO
i mean i would agree but it could even happen playing chords that consist of two notes. even stuff like going to the wrong fret in a harmony progression as such. i know i can technically play alot better than that, i can at least do some basic sweeps and whatnot but stupid mistakes are just so frustrating
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
slooooooooooow it down, do a warm-up first, do some chromatic neck-feels. consistency requires a clear head, good technique, and being focused.
modes are a social construct
"Never practice mistakes and whenever you are practicing and make a mistake go back and correct it, otherwise you are signaling your nervous system that such a level of performance is acceptable"

Im guilty of not following that one too
but that´s pretty much the why and the how
"Never practice mistakes and whenever you are practicing and make a mistake go back and correct it, otherwise you are signaling your nervous system that such a level of performance is acceptable"

Pretty much. When you practice and play you're making lots of mistakes. This habit has been built up for years - it's hardly surprising if you're still doing it now.

To fix this you have to take it really slow, and learn to play everything perfectly before bringing it up to speed. I'm sure you've heard it before, but that's because it works.