Page 1 of 2
Raise a child you had with someone of a different religion? Assuming you love them and are married/serious. Would you allow them to raise the child in their faith, or would you insist upon the child being raised as you believe?

Would your answer change depending on what religion they belong to? Say as a Christian would you be ok with your Jewish wife teaching the Torah to your child, but not if she was an atheist and wanted to keep the children out of church? Or if you were an atheist and your partner wishes to raise your children Buddhist, would you accept that more easily than if they were Catholic?
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by devourke
I'd let my kid decide what they wanted to believe.

It's their choice, not mine

This, assuming the wife's the same way.
Have the child wait and stay out of religion until he/she is old enough to decide for themselves after being told the basic beliefs of each religion and having the child see some services, and then making him/her pick between the two and atheism.
Quote by anvil is god
Have the child wait and stay out of religion until he/she is old enough to decide for themselves after being told the basic beliefs of each religion and having the child see some services, and then making him/her pick between the two and atheism.

Or a completely different religion.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Teach the kids both religions and let it decide on what he/she wants to believe.

But secretely I'd say my religion is better and his/her mother is going to hell for believing in something else.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Assuming I was religious and my wife was of a different faith. I was need to know that the child was allowed to make the decision for themself without being coerced, but I probably wouldn't marry someone that was going to coerce a child anyways.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Kensai
Teach the kids both religions and let it decide on what he/she wants to believe.

But secretely I'd say my religion is better and his/her mother is going to hell for believing in something else.

This.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by StewieSwan
The premise is flawed

Explain.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by palm mute
Explain.

I wouldn't have a serious relationship with/be married to a religious person in the first place.
Check out my band Disturbed
Raise a child and force them to believe in a religion or raise them like a normal child and let them think for themself? I'm gonna go with the latter
For those of you who want to hold off and let the child decide, what do you do about religious holidays? Do you celebrate Christmas/Ramadan/Passover with the child, but try to de-religion it?
Quote by StewieSwan
I wouldn't have a serious relationship with/be married to a religious person in the first place.

It doesn't really apply to you then
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Christmas isn't a religious holiday anymore. I think there's no problem here. Making your child believe in the same religion you do is just a stupid idea imo. Not that it matters really, but idk religious people just make me mad for some reason. I don't know what it is. I played a gig at a church yesterday and I held back but I wanted to say so many mean things.

Edit: raise child Buddhist? What? You mean teach your child very nice morals and other good teachings without any bullshit?
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Dec 4, 2011,
^ That is why I said Buddhism, most atheists kind of respect Buddhism. I wanted to know if you would be more accepting of letting your child be raised in a religion like that than if your spouse wanted to raise them in Catholicism which is not as atheist friendly.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Christmas isn't a religious holiday anymore. I think there's no problem here. Making your child believe in the same religion you do is just a stupid idea imo. Not that it matters really, but idk religious people just make me mad for some reason. I don't know what it is. I played a gig at a church yesterday and I held back but I wanted to say so many mean things.

Yeah, most atheists still celebrate it anyway because it has the whole family and tradition thing. But how about a holiday like Easter? Practically useless to an atheist.

A good amount of religious people want to raise their child to believe as they do. Their beliefs hold more weight, if their child doesn't believe as they do they won't end up in the same place after death. There is also the matter of customs, if you are married to someone who grew up going to church on every sunday they will probably want to bring their child to church every sunday as well.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Last edited by palm mute at Dec 4, 2011,
I celebrate Easter.... You get to eat tons of chocolate and look for eggs. Nothing to do with Christ nowadays
Quote by palm mute
Yeah, most atheists still celebrate it anyway because it has the whole family and tradition thing. But how about a holiday like Easter? Practically useless to an atheist.

Useless? I love Hot Cross buns and Easter eggs. Easter was one of my top 3 favourite holidays as a kid, I always used to get given clues by my parents and me and my step-sisters would have to follow the clues around the house and garden until we could find our easter eggs in the secret hiding spot.

That was great
Quote by devourke
Useless? I love Hot Cross buns and Easter eggs. Easter was one of my top 3 favourite holidays as a kid, I always used to get given clues by my parents and me and my step-sisters would have to follow the clues around the house and garden until we could find our easter eggs in the secret hiding spot.

That was great

Maybe it's me then, I always thought Easter was fucking stupid even when I was kind of Christian.

Substitute Easter/Christmas for Ramadan then, not as many warm cuddly childhood memories for that one I'd bet.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by palm mute
Maybe it's me then, I always thought Easter was fucking stupid even when I was kind of Christian.

Substitute Easter/Christmas for Ramadan then, not as many warm cuddly childhood memories for that one I'd bet.

My kid would probably celebrate Easter, Christmas, Halloween, New Years and all the rest of the holidays that everyone celebrates. If he started to practise a religion which had extra holidays, I would be ok with this because it would probably mean that I would be allowed to have a marvellous feast. Or at the very least a BBQ
Quote by devourke
My kid would probably celebrate Easter, Christmas, Halloween, New Years and all the rest of the holidays that everyone celebrates. If he started to practise a religion which had extra holidays, I would be ok with this because it would probably mean that I would be allowed to have a marvellous feast. Or at the very least a BBQ

Ramadan = no food until dark. No food, water, or sex.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by palm mute
Ramadan = no food until dark. No food, water, or sex.

I can deal with that.

I've gone longer than 8 hours without food or water, if you can believe that
Quote by devourke
I can deal with that.

Keep in mind Ramadan is also a month long practice.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by palm mute
Keep in mind Ramadan is also a month long practice.

Their holiday is a month long? Those Islams sure know how to party. I'm not going to tell my kid he can't practise Ramadan just because I'd have to go without Food and water during the day.
Quote by devourke
Their holiday is a month long? Those Islams sure know how to party. I'm not going to tell my kid he can't practise Ramadan just because I'd have to go without Food and water during the day.

I respect you a bit more now then.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by palm mute
I respect you a bit more now then.

That makes it seem like you hated me to start with.

Did you hate me to start with?
Quote by devourke
That makes it seem like you hated me to start with.

Did you hate me to start with?

No, I just liked the answer. People I've talked to about this outside of the internet seemed unwilling to accept another belief system, even if someone they cared about believed in it.
In my heart I'm with you

every night

every single person i can think of goes that long without food or water every night/morning

i wont b able 2 c ur next message but nock urself out neway
Quote by devourke
im a raging faggot

Quote by fail
me2 and everyone picks on me

Quote by itamar100

i have been bullied before and i know what its like. its ****ing horrible and thats why i feel so strongly about fags like me.
I'd have a hard time getting involved with someone that religious. But if it worked out I would let the kid choose for themselves, like my parents did for me and their parents before them.
Quote by palm mute
No, I just liked the answer. People I've talked to about this outside of the internet seemed unwilling to accept another belief system, even if someone they cared about believed in it.

ahk, Was just being paranoid.
The kid's religion will be Bach.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'd teach the child about all the religions, and I'd tell him/her that there is no right answer and people believe in different things for different reasons.

As for religious celebrations, I'd unreligify the ones that get public holidays.
cat
Quote by Xiaoxi
The kid's religion will be Bach.

That's child abuse.
Tell the child both sides and let them make a decision. I know a man who's a very blatant Atheist but is married to a Christian, and they have children. The kids know their parents believe differently and are free to explore whichever route.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by StewieSwan
That's child abuse.

No. Child abuse is putting a child alone in the room with you.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
No. Child abuse is putting a child alone in the room with you.

Yeah, I hate kids.
Page 1 of 2