JamesWojak
Straight outta Compton
367 IQ
Last night i watched a death metal/hardcore band play last night, it was the first time i'd ever seen a band actually utilize the 9 stringed guitar.
I really wasn't feeling it. The riffs were pretty basic death metal most of the time, but i dont think the 9 string really delivered the punch that i was expecting compared to 7/8 strings. Even though it was plugged into a peavey 6505, with two orange 4x12s, there wasn't much low end to the whole sound, it sounded moreso like a distorted bass.
Personally if i were to start a more heavier-orientated band tomorrow, i'd only go as big as a 7 string.
What do you guys think,
9 string bands yay or nay? anybody know any bands using em that i could check out?
and i mean live videos, i wanna hear what these things are capable of for live shows.
DimebagLivesOn
BibleThump BibleThump
1,947 IQ
I don't really like 8 or 9-string guitar work in general.

So when does the 10 string band thread pop up?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Quote by JamesWojak
Last night i watched a death metal/hardcore band play last night, it was the first time i'd ever seen a band actually utilize the 9 stringed guitar.
I really wasn't feeling it. The riffs were pretty basic death metal most of the time, but i dont think the 9 string really delivered the punch that i was expecting compared to 7/8 strings. Even though it was plugged into a peavey 6505, with two orange 4x12s, there wasn't much low end to the whole sound, it sounded moreso like a distorted bass.
Personally if i were to start a more heavier-orientated band tomorrow, i'd only go as big as a 7 string.
What do you guys think,
9 string bands yay or nay? anybody know any bands using em that i could check out?
and i mean live videos, i wanna hear what these things are capable of for live shows.

That's because you're easily in the range of a standard bass, have you ever played a bass through a guitar cab? It lacks bass and sounds terrible.

Same issue applies here. 9 String guitars are a dumb idea.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
musicTHEORYnerd
doesnt sleep
1,385 IQ
Until someone comes along and plays a 9 string (putting EVERY string to good use), the way Tosin Abasi plays his 8, I think 9 strings are retarded.

that being said, I'd love to see Tosin with a 9. (either 2 lower strings and 1 higher, or just 3 lower strings.

EDIT: now that I think of it, Tosin is the only player I can think of off the top of my head that actually puts an 8 to good use (IMHO obviously).
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Dec 4, 2011,
JamesWojak
Straight outta Compton
367 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
That's because you're easily in the range of a standard bass, have you ever played a bass through a guitar cab? It lacks bass and sounds terrible.

Same issue applies here. 9 String guitars are a dumb idea.

Exactly, if a guy really wanted to use a 9 string, i'd suggest getting someone on second guitar, rocking like a 7 string er something, doing lead parts.
Kyleisthename
1,583 IQ
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
I don't really like 8 or 9-string guitar work in general.

So when does the 10 string band thread pop up?

Do you consider Grandsticks and chapmans guitar?

I can show you plenty of bands that use instruments that have more than 10 strings. Not is a br00tz way for most of them.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!
1,141 IQ
I've always thought 7 strings was a dumb idea, but 9? Wow.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
conor-figgy
Lighting Designer
1,395 IQ
Quote by Kyleisthename

I can show you plenty of bands that use instruments that have more than 10 strings.

This?
Amuro Jay
JOHNNY STOCK
8,211 IQ
Quote by JamesWojak
dont wanna name the band, were bros with em, and i dont want any guys thinking im calling them out, and i dont wanna put them up to be critiqued
Sorry, I just thought that the idea of a hardcore band using 9 strings is quite absurd. It's so unnecessary.
Quote by conor-figgy
Awesome.
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
EDIT: now that I think of it, Tosin is the only player I can think of off the top of my head that actually puts an 8 to good use (IMHO obviously).
That guy in TTDTDE sure has a lot of fun with his 8. And I have fun listening to it
irishboy17
88 IQ
9 strings in hardcorr is kinda unnecessary. My friend's got a nine string,it looks awesome,plays awesome,but honestly, there's nothing u can do with thrn that you can't do with an 8 string. Depending on what type of 9 string you are using (some have 9 separate strings,some have some of the strings paired like in a 12 string,i am referring to the 9 individual strings) the lowest string just sounds like crap.
datskramzkid
HxC Sun God
177 IQ
Jazz players can for sure pull off nine strings. As for Metal bands, they're stupid.
Kyleisthename
1,583 IQ
What about a 9 string that has an extra high and 2 extra lows.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by Kyleisthename
No, more like THIS

ADHD music.

I heard that Dan Dankmeyer used a 9-string once...Don't know if that's true or not.

Why is this in the hardcore forum?
JamesWojak
Straight outta Compton
367 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
ADHD music.

I heard that Dan Dankmeyer used a 9-string once...Don't know if that's true or not.

Why is this in the hardcore forum?

same reason there's an 8-string band thread.
im not gonna post a thread about a hardcore band using a 9 string in the REAL TRUE METAL section.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by JamesWojak
same reason there's an 8-string band thread.
im not gonna post a thread about a hardcore band using a 9 string in the REAL TRUE METAL section.

I see your point.

I don't really know any 9-string bands and the reason is probably that 9-String just seems a bit much at this point in time. 8-String are low enough as far as I'm concerned.
musicTHEORYnerd
doesnt sleep
1,385 IQ
Quote by datskramzkid
Jazz players can for sure pull off nine strings. As for Metal bands, they're stupid.

hahaha way to be prejudice towards one specific genre.
every single player is different.

I bet you OR I could find 5 different jazz guys who cant play a 9 string as well as a metal guy, AND we could find 5 different metal guys who cant play it as well as a jazz 9 string player.

and kyleisthename, the vid you posted is really cool
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
BK202
The Shape of Jazz To Come
614 IQ
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
hahaha way to be prejudice towards one specific genre.
every single player is different.

I bet you OR I could find 5 different jazz guys who cant play a 9 string as well as a metal guy, AND we could find 5 different metal guys who cant play it as well as a jazz 9 string player.

and kyleisthename, the vid you posted is really cool

Hey.

Fuck you.
musicTHEORYnerd
doesnt sleep
1,385 IQ
Quote by BK202
Hey.

Fuck you.

i wasnt being an ass, im just saying you shouldnt judge how well ANY player in a genre can play, just by which genre it is.

i can think of country guitar players who can shred better than some metal guitarists, and i can think of metal guys who can do ridiculous melodic-flowing solos better than a lot of the other players ive heard.

im not trying to be offensive, im just saying keep an open mind about music, because if you judge 100% on genres, youll never find anything interesting and unique.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
i can think of country guitar players who can shred better than some metal guitarists

Shredding better than metal guitarists?

IMPOSSIBLE!
Amuro Jay
JOHNNY STOCK
8,211 IQ
Why don't we keep extended range guitar discussions in the 8 string thread? I'm not sure why I even left that open...

Flash that buttery gold
Jittery zeitgeist wither by the watering hole
What a patrol
What are we to heart Huckabee art ****ery suddenly?
Not enough young in his lung for the waterwings?
Colorfully vulgar poacher out of mulch
Like "I'm 'a pull the pulse out a soldier and bolt"
Fine, sign of the time we elapse
When a primate climb up a spine and attach
Eye for an eye by the bog's life swamps and vines
They get a rise out of frogs and flies
So when a dog fight's hog-tied prize sort of costs a life
The mouths water on a fork and knife
And the allure isn't right
It's gore on a war-torn beach
Where the cash cow's actually beef
Blood turns wine when it leak for police