So, I just ordered my first tube amp which also happens to be the first time I'll be using a head/cabinet instead of a combo amp. I was just wondering some basics of using this setup.

The amp is this:

Jet City JCA100HDM

The Cabinet is this:

Randall RT-212RC

What settings should I use in terms of impedance? Also, this seems fairly obvious, but I would rather check myself to make sure so that I don't ruin something: is this the type of cable I would use to connect the two?

Monster Speaker Cable

Some of these seem pretty simple, but again, I would rather check and make sure than ruin something because I didn't want to ask.

Last, I just wondered if there are any basic rules of thumb with tube amps or head/cabinet setups that I should be aware of. I know that you NEVER turn the head on without it plugged in to a working cab, and I know that you should let your tubes warm up by leaving the amp on standby for a minute or so before you play. Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to posting a NAD thread later this week
Well Monster cables aren't exactly good, but it is a speaker cable. I hope you matched the cab and head's impedance, otherwise you might be in trouble. It seems as though that's a 50W cab. Either that or the two speakers are 50W each, idk.
Your amp has a selector for choosing the impedance. If you look at the specifications on the link for your cab, you will see it says 8 ohms. This is what you set the impedence switch on the head to. As for the cable, that is fine. Just make sure you are always using a SPEAKER cable to connect your head and cab.

I always plug everything in before turning on the head. once everything is connected, turn the head on, but stay in Stand by. I usually tune my guitar while the tubes are heating up, then im good to go. Also, i put my head into stand by for a few minutes before shutting down the power.
Quote by schecter6
Your amp has a selector for choosing the impedance. If you look at the specifications on the link for your cab, you will see it says 8 ohms. This is what you set the impedence switch on the head to. As for the cable, that is fine. Just make sure you are always using a SPEAKER cable to connect your head and cab.

I always plug everything in before turning on the head. once everything is connected, turn the head on, but stay in Stand by. I usually tune my guitar while the tubes are heating up, then im good to go. Also, i put my head into stand by for a few minutes before shutting down the power.

Nah it's cooler if you use the t00bes warming up to do a fade in epic intro.
Quote by FearMyLightning
Well Monster cables aren't exactly good, but it is a speaker cable. I hope you matched the cab and head's impedance, otherwise you might be in trouble. It seems as though that's a 50W cab. Either that or the two speakers are 50W each, idk.

The speakers are 50w each. They're Celestion Rocket 50's. Not the best speakers, but the best option and price for my situation.

What cable would you recommend? I always use Monster for my guitar cable and have never had any problems. Their cables have lasted me MUCH longer than any others I've used, and have a lifetime warranty, so I've stuck with them since trying them. If there's a better option out there, I'd like to try it, though. I'll have to be able to buy it from www.americanmusical.com or www.zzounds.com though, so keep that in mind.
Quote by FearMyLightning

He doesn't have them yet.

Monster cables are fine.

Weird that it states it is a 50w cab yet it looks like the speakers are each 50w so that would = 100w. I'd check. What's wrong with the Jet City 212 cab?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
He doesn't have them yet.

Monster cables are fine.

Weird that it states it is a 50w cab yet it looks like the speakers are each 50w so that would = 100w. I'd check. What's wrong with the Jet City 212 cab?

I'm actually looking into some other cabs now. I was ordering from zzounds, but I have to have all of this by this friday, and they won't get the head in until at least Thursday, which won't do. American Musical will have it in tomorrow, though, and they have a bit different selection of cabs.

The main reason for the Randall is honestly aesthetics. Sounds like bad decision making, but this is my reasoning:

I was going to order a custom cab from WhiteBox, but due to time and money constraints, I have to go with a site with a payment plan. The cab I was going to order would have had a Celestion V30 and G12K-100, had black tolex, a metal grille, been 8ohms, and had casters included. The Randall has all of that except the speakers, but no stock cab I've found has those, meaning I'll need to replace the speakers later anyway. My thoughts are, why not get everything I wanted minus the speakers instead of nothing I wanted (including not getting the speakers). I wasn't about to spend more than $500 on a cab (since that was the price of the custom cab) and if I spend $300 on the Randall cab and buy the speakers later, It'll only cost me about $300 extra, putting the cab at $600 with a set up backup speakers.

I'm also looking at:
JCA24S
MC212
VM212
212X

Any thoughts, reviews, criticisms, or warnings about these cabs?

Also, I'm upgrading to this Monster Cable instead, because I prefer their higher-quality cables. Thoughts on the upgrade being worth it?
always plug everything in before turning on the head. (ALWAYS)NEVER TURN YOUR AMP ON WITHOUT IT BEING PLUGED IN TO THE CAB!!!
I make my own speaker cables out of mains extension cables. I use them for everything from guitar to PA's. Cheapest easy source of good quality twisted pair copper wire. There's always somebody with extension cables on sale. Just grab a 10 amp one, cut it to length and solder a couple of phono plugs onto the ends and you're ready to go (just cut off the third wire). They also have the advantage of being made strong enough to withstand people walking on them. I have PA cables made out of extension cables that are over 20 years old and still going strong.
Don't do this unless you are good at soldering, the last thing you want is your solder joint coming adrift and presenting an open circuit to the amp or even worse, a short circuit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I was actually just repeating what all of UG says about Monster Cables. Can't you just buy from a music store like GC irl?
Quote by Cathbard
I make my own speaker cables out of mains extension cables. I use them for everything from guitar to PA's. Cheapest easy source of good quality twisted pair copper wire. There's always somebody with extension cables on sale. Just grab a 10 amp one, cut it to length and solder a couple of phono plugs onto the ends and you're ready to go (just cut off the third wire). They also have the advantage of being made strong enough to withstand people walking on them. I have PA cables made out of extension cables that are over 20 years old and still going strong.
Don't do this unless you are good at soldering, the last thing you want is your solder joint coming adrift and presenting an open circuit to the amp or even worse, a short circuit.

I've never soldered anything in my life, and now is not the time to start. My first project for that is improving my Crybaby, but that's another thread, and another project for another time.

For now, though, I'm gonna stick to buying the Monster cable.

Quote by FearMyLightning
I was actually just repeating what all of UG says about Monster Cables. Can't you just buy from a music store like GC irl?

First of all, bandwagoning is a terrible idea. Grow some balls and have your own opinion. You see, the best part about opinions is: they can't be wrong. Don't ever just go with what everyone else says without trying something first. That's not to say you shouldn't ask for other peoples' opinions before you try something, but they aren't really helping if they're giving you an opinion based on nothing but bandwagoning, now are they?

Seond of all:

Quote by Blktiger0
...but due to time and money constraints, I have to go with a site with a payment plan. ...

that's why I can't go buy in person. I'm going with a site with a payment plan. Also, according to Guitar Center's website the last time I checked, they don't carry the JCA100HDM, plus I try to avoid making large purchases from Guitar Center because they're basically the Walmart of music equipment. I would rather take my larger purchases elsewhere to support other businesses, but still give GC their dues by purchasing strings, picks, cables, pedals, and other lower-cost items there. I don't support the idea of having ONLY large corporations, but I do support large corporations. They've put in the time, money, and effort to get to where they are by climbing up the ladder, and they deserve the business they get and have earned it by outdoing the competition. However, doing business with only large corporations will allow them to get lazy, cocky, and eliminate their competition with ease, which is NOT okay with me.

Enough about my views on large/small businesses, monopolies, and whatnot, though. What about the other cabs I mentioned in an above post?
I was stuck playing a 412 loaded with Rocket 50's for a good while, though I never had it hooked up to my JCA100H I don't think they're suited/voiced very well for an amp like that. At least you picked up a solid ply cab instead of MDF .

You can pick up the speakers you're looking at pretty easy on eBay used, they're cheaper and will already be broken in sounding their best

EDIT: I thought you already ordered everything. The Randall will be a solid cab worthy of upgrading with better speakers and the matching Jet City cab (though looking kinda dumb like the stock amp) is loaded with speakers voiced specifically for that head. From what I've gathered by reading up on them the Emi speakers are fairly neutral sounding, and somewhat similar to a V12. Which would make sense since that's the speaker Soldano swears by with his amps. Both cabs are built from ply so they'll be solid, though I'm betting the JC is built a tad better since they give more specs about the materials. It's probably negligible though.

Between the Randall and JC cab it boils down to this: $100 for cosmetics and budget "well they make noise" speakers, or save $100 and have a rig that sounds noticeably better out of the box. I guess it depends on how long it'll be before you get real speakers and how much 'the look' matters for your sound
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Dec 5, 2011,
monster speaker cables are perfectly fine (if you are getting the good ones). i have one for every cab and an extra or two (maybe 12 or so of them) i am a self admitted cable wh0re, because i like backups. i have had some of those cables for 8 or so years most of them about 5 years old. i have never had one fail. they do not provide tone loss or anything.

i would be willing to bet that if there was a blind test between moogami and monster, that nobody would ever know. monster is sold at more places (around here) and if one does break, its a 10 minute drive. if i owned moogami's i would have to drive 40 minutes, which i don't always have the time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Blktiger0

First of all, bandwagoning is a terrible idea. Grow some balls and have your own opinion. You see, the best part about opinions is: they can't be wrong. Don't ever just go with what everyone else says without trying something first. That's not to say you shouldn't ask for other peoples' opinions before you try something, but they aren't really helping if they're giving you an opinion based on nothing but bandwagoning, now are they?

Ok, buy instrument cables for your instruments and speaker cables for your speakers. I never really pay attention to the brands, I think I have a wirlwind speaker cable, but I have no idea what the instrument cable is.
Quote by Flux'D
I was stuck playing a 412 loaded with Rocket 50's for a good while, though I never had it hooked up to my JCA100H I don't think they're suited/voiced very well for an amp like that. At least you picked up a solid ply cab instead of MDF .

You can pick up the speakers you're looking at pretty easy on eBay used, they're cheaper and will already be broken in sounding their best

EDIT: I thought you already ordered everything. The Randall will be a solid cab worthy of upgrading with better speakers and the matching Jet City cab (though looking kinda dumb like the stock amp) is loaded with speakers voiced specifically for that head. From what I've gathered by reading up on them the Emi speakers are fairly neutral sounding, and somewhat similar to a V12. Which would make sense since that's the speaker Soldano swears by with his amps. Both cabs are built from ply so they'll be solid, though I'm betting the JC is built a tad better since they give more specs about the materials. It's probably negligible though.

Between the Randall and JC cab it boils down to this: $100 for cosmetics and budget "well they make noise" speakers, or save $100 and have a rig that sounds noticeably better out of the box. I guess it depends on how long it'll be before you get real speakers and how much 'the look' matters for your sound

How bad ARE the Rocket 50's? From what I've gathered, they're your basic run of the mill speaker. They won't outperform many speakers, but they don't under-perform in any way. The only real complaint I've heard is that the bass isn't as responsive as it could be. What are your thoughts, though?

As far as the cabinets, I'm not really sure what to do. The Jet City one is ugly as hell, but probably has better speakers. The Randall one has everything I want in a cab minus the speakers. I plan on switching those out as soon as I can, but in real time, that could be up to two months away. However, in those two months, I'll only be playing 2-3 gigs this month and maybe 2 in January, so it really wouldn't matter that much. I would rather it sound good, but the speakers are easier to replace than the entire cab.

How much could I sell the Jet City cab for later if I would want to just order my custom cab?
Sorry about the double post, but Randall makes a cab exactly like that one, but with Greenbacks. Are those any good for metal (think Lamb of God, Lazarus A.D., Children of Bodom, Throwdown, Slayer, and other similar Groove/Thrash Metal bands) and could they handle my 100w cab in a 2x12? It's $200 more, but they probably have better resale value later if I wouldn't like them.

EDIT: Here's a link:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-RAN-RT212CX-LIST
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Dec 5, 2011,
I'm a super rebel now with a triple post, but I ended up ordering the Jet City cab and throwing in some long-due pedals and patch cables and power supply for the pedals. I mean, if I'm going for good sound over looks, I might as well go all out xD
I agree I buy bulk #10 speaker cable,it's better quality and I can make it any lengt I need for half the cost