Hey everyone, Christmas is coming up, and my Dad is letting me get a new amp, but I'm a bit lost as what to pick, but here are my details:

>I'm near the Guitar Center in Steven's Creek in San Jose.
>I play blues, country, surf, and classic rock like Chicago.
>I'd like a tube amp that is large enough to be heard against a drummer, and be used for small gigs and jams.
>Guitars and Pedals are listed in my sig.
>As for budget, I can't say, maybe between 1k and 2k dollars?
>I have no preference for new or used, but it may be easier to order a new one online, which is how we'll be getting it.

Thanks for looking.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
I just got a used Mesa Stiletto Trident and I'm really happy with it. 150 watts, no drummer has a chance of drowning it out. Nice tones too.It can be switched down to 50 watts too. I'm sure my neighbors like that option.Also, if you want to go a little less expensive, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe will cover what you play too.
At least look at a Fender Blues Junior
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 4, 2011,
Not quite sure on pricing, but as far as I know, I'm a lucky bastard!
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf
Blackface Twin or Bassman? or silver face modded to black face specs, or a super reverb.

or if you were to be looking new, i liked the fender super sonic ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-super-sonic-22-22w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp ), i was testing some pedals on it and started messing with amp itself and really sounded pretty good.

i dont know why mine were all fender,

but you could look into Vox, maybe a AC15 or AC30

maybe an Egnater Renegade, i had one for a while, and its in my top twenty list in my head... lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I was thinking about the Vox night train, does anyone have thoughts on it?
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf
Quote by Bluesblitz

if you've got that budget, i would go with something else. maybe look into a used matchless. hayseed makes an amazing Vox-esque amps.

i cant think of others at the moment. there are tons of them out there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Bluesblitz
Hey everyone, Christmas is coming up, and my Dad is letting me get a new amp, but I'm a bit lost as what to pick, but here are my details:

>I'm near the Guitar Center in Steven's Creek in San Jose.
>I'd like a tube amp that is large enough to be heard against a drummer, and be used for small gigs and jams.
>Guitars and Pedals are listed in my sig.
>As for budget, I can't say, maybe between 1k and 2k dollars?
>I have no preference for new or used, but it may be easier to order a new one online, which is how we'll be getting it.

Thanks for looking.

The following are all over the Bay Area, check CraigsList for Used gear so you can get the best Bang for the $$$:
Splawn QuickRod
Soldano Decatone
Orange RockerVerb 50 MKII
Egnater Renegade combo or head
Laney VH100R
Peavey JSX
Mesa Boogie RoadKing 1 or 2 (if you're lucky) or Roadster

Then get a nice 212 cab or even 412 depending on which amp you get.

Quote by Bluesblitz

The Night Train is OK for a budget amp but it seems you have more to play with. Get a superior amp I say.

Quote by Ippon
*fixed* Too far south.

Maybe. I went to Orange Co CList because it is always a mecca of great used amps (as you can see).

If the seller is desperate to sell they ship or meet half way. If the buyer wants an amp bad enough they may be willing to drive down or pay for the shipping.

Quote by Ippon
The following are all over the Bay Area, check CraigsList for Used gear so you can get the best Bang for the $$$:
Splawn QuickRod
Soldano Decatone
Orange RockerVerb 50 MKII
Egnater Renegade combo or head
Laney VH100R
Peavey JSX
Mesa Boogie RoadKing 1 or 2 (if you're lucky) or Roadster

Then get a nice 212 cab or even 412 depending on which amp you get.

Those are all great amps, but based on what the TS plays

I think a Fender is the way to go. I admittedly do not know what amps Chicago used but I'm thinking an american voiced cleaner amp is the way to go for Country, Blues, Surf, etc.

I wouldn't buy a Quick Rod or a JSX for example for Surf or Blues

I do +1 the Renegade and the Road King.
^Thanks man, I've actually boiled it down to the Fender Hot Rods, either the Deluxe or the DeVille, so that raises another question: should I bother getting a 60 watt as opposed to a 40 watt?
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf
Quote by Bluesblitz
^Thanks man, I've actually boiled it down to the Fender Hot Rods, either the Deluxe or the DeVille, so that raises another question: should I bother getting a 60 watt as opposed to a 40 watt?

you can do so much better than a hotrod. especially if its only the Deluxe. if you are stuck on new, at least look at the supersonic i posted, or a Twin or deluxe reissue (not HRD, real deluxe obviously still a reissue though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

+1, every single one of these is excellent.

Anyway, I vote the Mesa Lonestar. If you're worried about buying second hand, you can buy used gear from Guitar Center. You're probably looking at around $1100. I can't even begin to describe how much more amp you're getting for your money compared to the Hot Rod: http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=mesa+boogie+lonestar&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest#q=mesa+boogie+lonestar+used&hl=en&safe=off&client=opera&hs=i3C&rls=en&channel=suggest&sa=X&ei=e-DdToXiCYKN-waBppDhBQ&ved=0CDUQpwUoAA&tbs=%2Cprice:1%2Cppr_min%3A%2Cppr_max%3A1300&tbm=shop&tbo=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=9befeb36133eb732&biw=1920&bih=985
According to the guitar Center site, the San Francisco store (that's near you right?) has a used Lonestar in stock.
Last edited by kyle62 at Dec 6, 2011,
Lonestars are real nice and a good fit for what you play.

I too, would steer clear of the HRDs. I mean if you play one and really like it don't let us stop you but you can get a far better amp imo. There is nothing wrong with buying used. As you can see, some of those Fenders I linked you too are actually increasing in value and they are very easy to work on. Easier than most of today's mass produced amps. I'm not saying you need to break your Dad's bank either but investing in a good amp the way to go.

I'll probably never buy a new amp again, unless I absolutely cannot wait for it to hit the used market - which is very unlikely.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 6, 2011,
+1 on the lone star. That amp is at least in my top 5 of amps I'd like to get some day when I have a bunch of money and nothing better to spend it on. There's a lot of youtube demos of it, and it just sounds incredible for anything blues, country, lighter rock. The clean channel is fairly epic IMO.

The lonestar special will get all the way down to 5W for some really nice overdriven sound at relatively low volume.

The regular lone star will go all the way to 100W if you need a ton of headroom.

I'm not sure how much of a difference there is in tone between the two models though. If you can try one out, definitely give it a run.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
+2 for the Lonestar, I forgot about it, also the Stiletto for a lil bit more gain.
What if we were only looking at Fenders? Because I'm interested in the Blues Deluxe.
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf
Quote by denied
Oh man, that's a great budget. Do yourself a favor and look into vintage fenders. Twin, Tremolux, Bandmaster, Pro, Vibrolux, Bassman...Most of the larger sized blackface amps would be incredible for what you want..A blonde Bandmaster would be sweet for Surf.

denied knows his shit.

IIRC he has some nice vintage fenders.

i have a '68 bassman i love, although i would really like a bf Twin or Vibrolux
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Bluesblitz
What if we were only looking at Fenders? Because I'm interested in the Blues Deluxe.

Are you SURE your budget goes up to 2 grand? Cause you keep talking about amps that are less than half that.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by denied
Oh man, that's a great budget. Do yourself a favor and look into vintage fenders. Twin, Tremolux, Bandmaster, Pro, Vibrolux, Bassman...Most of the larger sized blackface amps would be incredible for what you want..A blonde Bandmaster would be sweet for Surf.

This.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Raijouta
Are you SURE your budget goes up to 2 grand? Cause you keep talking about amps that are less than half that.

+1 for your price range you could get a stunning blackface twin or Vibrolux, that have been recapped and retubed so you wouldn't even have to do anything with that.

blitz - you are going to be kicking yourself in the ass for a looooong time if you get one that blues deluxe, and hear an vintage blackface at a gig.

NO comparison whatsoever, vintage fender or /thread.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Looks like it's already been recommended a bit, but when it comes to cleans, the Mesa Lonestar is my favorite amp that I've heard.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks SO much for all your input and guidance everyone, so, if it came between a Bassman and a Band Master, what would your preference be?
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf
I'm actually leaning towards the Band Master for the price and extra volume.
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf
Whatt era are you talking?

You can afford a Blonde so I would go for that. In my experience, the Bandmaster is actually more expensive, closer to 1800-2000. My understanding is that most of them ended up in Japan after the surf craze, so they don't pop up often. The Bandmaster does come with that sick Blonde era modulation.

Personally I'm a big fan of the Bassman, it just has a killer round tone that is exactly what I want for blues. They are usually a little cheaper at about 1500.

Neither of them pop up very often, so I'd just jump on whatever you can find. Original matching cab is a big plus, and try to find one that hasn't been tampered with too badly, the value of these guys is on the ups.
Awesome, but, if we were talking new, would it still come down to preference? I would buy used, but my Dad, whose buying the amp, wanted to order it new. Thanks though!
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf
Quote by Bluesblitz
Thanks SO much for all your input and guidance everyone, so, if it came between a Bassman and a Band Master, what would your preference be?

what bassman? what bandmaster? reissues? blackface? silverface? blonde?

could you feed us any less information?

you seem to dodge the vintage gear, if you do not want something vintage, tell us, don't waste our time dodging information that you want us to help you with.

to be honest, i am doubting your knowledge about several things regarding amps, more specifically vintage amps ((thirty second rundown)).

a majority of vintage amps are wired point to point or turret boards, which are very simple to fix if something is awry. getting the right part and whatever time it takes to disassemble, drain caps and 2 minutes with a soldering iron. a lot of the components were higher quality, that could be partially why there are still amps from the 50's and 60's around. amps today are made on circuit boards and are much more difficult to fix. the really only things you have to worry about is whether it has been recapped or not (even though its not that big of a deal), or something is wrong with a transformer, but if you match your impedences and if you check out the amp before you buy and the impediences match, it is probably fine.

also if you don't want to spend $2000, tell us, then we can look for things that fit your needs
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Bluesblitz
Awesome, but, if we were talking new, would it still come down to preference? I would buy used, but my Dad, whose buying the amp, wanted to order it new. Thanks though!

Wat? I'm taking Blonde era 1960-1963. There's no way in hell I'd blow 2 grand on a modern production Fender amp.

It's starting to sound like you haven't really done enough research to be thinking about blowing that kind of money