Page 1 of 2
People who like a lie-in may now have an excuse - it is at least partly down to their genes, according to experts.

Experts, who studied more than 10,000 people across Europe, found those with the gene ABCC9 need around 30 minutes more sleep per night than those without the gene.

The gene is carried by one in five Europeans, they say in their study, published in Molecular Psychiatry.

The researchers said the finding could help explain "sleep behaviour".

Over 10,000 people took part, each reporting how long they slept and providing a blood sample for DNA analysis.

People's sleep needs can differ significantly.

At the extreme, Margaret Thatcher managed on four hours of sleep a night while Albert Einstein needed 11.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15999489

Unravelling the functions of genes. Interesting stuff. I for one need a lot of sleep to function properly the next day. What about you?

On a different tangent I wonder if they'll ever discover every gene's function so that one day you can look at a person's genes and it'll reveal much about their bodies and personality. Would you like a scenario like that? I don't think it's impossible.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
On a different tangent I wonder if they'll ever discover every gene's function so that one day you can look at a person's genes and it'll reveal much about their bodies and personality. Would you like a scenario like that? I don't think it's impossible.

I think society will always have a huge influence on people, although it would be cool if they found the gene for 'determination'
'lie-in'? I think you mean sleeping in

With regards to the tangent at the bottom, even if they discover every gene's functions, it would take quite a while for them to take your DNA and analyze all of your genes so they could tell you exactly what genes you have. And, personally, I don't want to know which genes I have for most things, unless it's going to kill me... Besides, there's a huge environmental element to the way people are, genetics isn't everything
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Lie-in? Why do brits have such odd slang?
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 4, 2011,
its called bein lazy/tired
Quote by devourke
im a raging faggot

Quote by fail
me2 and everyone picks on me

Quote by itamar100

i have been bullied before and i know what its like. its ****ing horrible and thats why i feel so strongly about fags like me.
I'd want to know about the genes that make me susceptible to certain diseases but other than that, I don't think so. It'd be really interesting but it might just make me paranoid about everything I've ever done in my life.

And I need at least 10 hours of sleep to function properly the next day.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
And I need at least 10 hours of sleep to function properly the next day.

If I get over 8 hours of sleep I need like 2 hours after I wake up to get fully awake. If I get in between 6 and 8 it'll only take an hour, and any less than 6 and I'll be fully awake from the get go.
I need at least 11 hours to feel well rested and awake, other wise no matter how much I sleep I will be at the same level of tiredness. That's why I don't even bother to sleep well, cause to get 11 hours I'd have to go to bed at 8 and a nigga like me don't got time for that
Quote by devourke
If I get over 8 hours of sleep I need like 2 hours after I wake up to get fully awake. If I get in between 6 and 8 it'll only take an hour, and any less than 6 and I'll be fully awake from the get go.

I had to read that a few times.

I can operate on a few hours if I really have to, but that doesn't mean I like it. I could easily sleep for 10 or 11 hours if I was left alone.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by devourke

Yeah, this. I crash really hard after a few hours if I get less than 7 though so I didn't include that.
cat
Quote by primusfan
lie-ins and thai girls and bears oh my!

I have horrible sleeping habits. I need a ton of sleep and rarely ever get it. Oddly, if I ever take a nap, I get headaches, so those are always out of the question.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Interesting shit.
Quote by Kensai

That's a long, long way off. Only recently geneticists have come to understand that some of what was thought of as junk in the DNA actually plays a major role in protein synthesis. For some reason the part they don't understand yet, they continue to say is junk. I'd say it's possible to tell a lot about us physically, but since even height is limited by nutrition as you grow up, you can't know everything. And personality? Not even close. Maybe they could determine a baby's temperament... but personality is very very mostly the product of environement.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Fuck yeah. Now I can blame my parents for me being lazy.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Quote by The_Casinator
Wow, 30 more minutes? What a difference!

Fuckin averages, how do they work?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

4 hours average during the week 12+ on the weekend master race represent

sometimes I don't go to sleep for nearly 40 hours just because I don't feel like it. That's happening right now actually.
Quote by SteveHouse
but personality is very very mostly the product of environement.

I had my environment shift rather significantly a few times in my early childhood and the basic elements of my personality remained constant.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I had my environment shift rather significantly a few times in my early childhood and the basic elements of my personality remained constant.

But you have nothing to compare it against. If you had stayed in just one of those locations for your entire childhood you would have no doubt turned out differently.
Quote by devourke
But you have nothing to compare it against. If you had stayed in just one of those locations for your entire childhood you would have no doubt turned out differently.

What? I'm saying that I remained consistent in the basic way I acted and thought even though my environment changed fairly significantly a few times.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
What? I'm saying that I remained consistent in the basic way I acted and thought even though my environment changed fairly significantly a few times.

Yeah, but you remained constant to what? You can't tell what you would have been like had you not gone through all those environments, or been in another one altogether so you can't really disregard it as a major factor.
Quote by devourke
Yeah, but you remained constant to what? You can't tell what you would have been like had you not gone through all those environments, or been in another one altogether so you can't really disregard it as a major factor.

I'm saying that I didn't change even though I went through a few pretty significantly different environments.. Are you actually this fucking retarded? Your argument is idiotic at the very best. Considering nothing changed even though I went through 3 different environments, it seems to stand to reason that if nothing changed in my environment nothing would have changed either..
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I'm saying that I didn't change even though I went through a few pretty significantly different environments.. Are you actually this fucking retarded? Your argument is idiotic at the very best.

I'm not arguing, I'm just saying.

Unless you are the cat in the hand you can't tell if you're alive
Quote by devourke
I'm not arguing, I'm just saying.

And I'm just saying that your point is fucking stupid.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
And I'm just saying that your point is fucking stupid.

Why you so angry thrash? Is it in your genes?
Quote by Thrashtastic15

Did your interpersonal relationships change?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

SteveHouse you dick. You waited for me to make him less angry before you started questioning him
Quote by devourke
SteveHouse you dick. You waited for me to make him less angry before you started questioning him

In the real world I was re-watching Ergo Proxy cause I can't sleep cause my sinuses are so inflamed my teeth hurt. Insulting the ill, I see how it is

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Thrashtastic15
what the **** is this the biography channel

You can't go around saying you have evidence other people's theories are crap and then withhold the evidence. I mean at least make up some shit. 2/10.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
You can't go around saying you have evidence other people's theories are crap and then withhold the evidence. I mean at least make up some shit. 2/10.

Fine, I'll explain you cockmunching shitface. My "interpersonal relationships" changed drastically in how significant various ones were. I spent a fair bit of my childhood mostly interacting with my nana because both of my parents were busy as hell with work, and then we had to move for a bit so it changed to my parents and my environment changed rather significantly as a direct result of that. Then it changed significantly again because I got sent to a daycare thing when I was like 3
I notice that when I wake up between 5-7 hours of sleep, I feel really refreshed. But, then I'll need a nap later. But, when I sleep 8 hours or more, I feel tired for a long time and it takes a lot to get started. Kind of a double edge sword.

Really it more depends on what sleep stage you wake up in though.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Fine, I'll explain you cockmunching shitface. My "interpersonal relationships" changed drastically in how significant various ones were. I spent a fair bit of my childhood mostly interacting with my nana because both of my parents were busy as hell with work, and then we had to move for a bit so it changed to my parents and my environment changed rather significantly as a direct result of that. Then it changed significantly again because I got sent to a daycare thing when I was like 3

Eh. It might just be that my head is full of fuck drainage but I don't see how that would be expected to change your personality really. Plus it's not like you would remember, you were tiny.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Kensai
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15999489

It's still very far down the road but they've made significant progress in the past decade or so. In 2000 they completely sequenced the whole genome of a fruit fly, all of its genes and alleles (alternate forms of the genes). There are many more (billions) of genes in the human body so it would take a significant amount of time to completely sequence but it's definitely not impossible.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Page 1 of 2