We all have a favorite album or few albums that we know inside and out, and probably try to emulate on occasion in writing our own music or improvisation.

I've noticed that my writing style typically revolves around a few distinct sounds coming from my favorite artists, obviously this is what influence means in association between different music groups.

But my question is, do any of you view albums in this way?

I typically will listen to an album that I am intrigued by in its entirety in one sitting. From this experience I reflect upon what I've just heard and basically try to apply certain aspects from it towards my own musical creation. It might be said that a person can take selected ideas (whether it been a technique, progression, flow, beat, tempo, layering etc...) from multiple musical works and combine them within their own musical thought process in order to create and experiment.

I like to think that my consumption of music is similar to this (though not as eloquently put) and that I try to apply what I've learned based on what I've dug from experience.

So that being said, we are all students of music here. Wouldn't it be permissible for a student of music to view certain albums the same way that a student of law or student of economics views a textbook for one of their classes?

noddincap if your mind has been blown.
No it's not permissible at all.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If I could write one song in a similar way to The Smiths then my life will be complete.
God, I'm such a Smiths fanboy lately. No regrets.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Definitley man, I know for a fact that one of the courses in my uni has a class where the kids will listen to a "classic" album in it's entirety and analyze it.

When it comes to writing music/guitar for my band I'm always going back to BloodSugarSexMagik and definitley Stadium Arcadium (both by RHCP) when it comes to writing a Guitar solo and maybe some chords and this is definitley starting to show in some of our songs. Other's of the top of my head have been 'Humbug' by arctic monkeys (believe it or not) and especially 'Dookie' by Green Day when it comes to chord progressions and tempo's.

I'm probably rambling and i'm not sure if this is what you were asking but yeah, there are about 7 - 10 albums or so that I could definitley pin point my guitar style towards!
I find that as I become a more realized musician, I can go back and listen to albums I haven't heard in a while and point out my infliences. For the most part it seems I've been influenced on guitar by Green Day (most notably American Idiot), and on drums by blink-182 (mostly Enema of The State and TOYPAJ).
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
I guess. I've tried to do something like that before. Whenever I consciously listen to music with the intention of taking something from it, the end result sounds like a replica of what I just heard it. Therefore I try to avoid doing that now. I find that when I isolate myself from other sounds, the music comes out best. The influence is still audible, but in a much more natural way.
^ for sure to the point above me. People have different styles of musical creation.

And Ironpriest, that was pretty much exactly what I'm talking about.
Quote by Trowzaa
If I could write one song in a similar way to The Smiths then my life will be complete.

+1 but I just can't and IT KILLS ME INSIDE. ;_;
Uh, yeah, I went through a phase where I was really into tryin' to write songs like The Smiths. But now I just try to write riffs that sound like acid trips.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Dec 5, 2011,
The album God Was Created by Vehemence is an album that I kind of do that with.

The Melodies, the picking technique, huge sound, ect. I try to incorporate the way they made that album into my own writing because it's an interesting and well done sound that I have yet to hear recreated.
I like how you call your own writing eloquent. Is your music groundbreaking?
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
Quote by AgainstYou
I like how you call your own writing eloquent. Is your music groundbreaking?

My music is not groundbreaking and my writing is not eloquent. I thought that the phrase I was referring to was pretty eloquently written, compared to how most people (myself included) write and compose music.
Quote by Trowzaa

EDIT: On topic. Perhaps Kid A?

To be honest, I've never really given it as much thought as yourself TS!
Yes. I mean, music works in the brain much like a drug, thus releasing Dopamine and such, but another way of releasing said neurotransmitter, I've found, is to listen to the 'strangest/most unique' bands I know of, then continue on with my own songwriting, with the sole intention of doing something so ****ing crazy, nobody would ever have done or even thought about it before. I hope I'm succeeding, anyway.
You said you'll never be younger than you are tonight.
Now I've never felt weaker in all of my life.
You said it's only a one off, only a line.
But, now it's a circle all of the time.
Quote by Aliens-exist182
Yes. I mean, music works in the brain much like a drug, thus releasing Dopamine and such, but another way of releasing said neurotransmitter, I've found, is to listen to the 'strangest/most unique' bands I know of, then continue on with my own songwriting, with the sole intention of doing something so ****ing crazy, nobody would ever have done or even thought about it before. I hope I'm succeeding, anyway.

That's the best part about it.

As we all listen to newer and more intriguing sounds our mental music library expands and allows us to imagine greater things.

Life is awesome
What I do is seperate my efforts from my favourite albums, and then try and emulate many different styles from bands I don't always listen to, and I then try and merge the genres. What I do to avoid explicitly sounding like others (I abhor the idea of sounding generic for various reasons: I don't want to be an impersination of someone else) is never learn songs by these bands, but instead try and make the sound through logical guesswork. It works okay I do occasionally draw influence without realising it, but I have to listen to the influence excessively in order for it to happen spontaneously.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Doctor Matthews
They are learning tools. I am currently listening to this while studying:
How is it in comparison to CDC?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Trowzaa

Write one jangly guitar riff. Then sing about the pain of it all.

You're now done.

Congrats.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Banjocal
How is it in comparison to CDC?

I prefer CDC. The songs on The Collective aren't as cohesive, at least to my ear. Has some killer tracks, though, like "Whales" and "Black Hills."
MATTERHORN
Quote by Doctor Matthews
I prefer CDC. The songs on The Collective aren't as cohesive, at least to my ear. Has some killer tracks, though, like "Whales" and "Black Hills."
Ah, okay. I might just buy CDC then. I'm writing a list of albums to buy this year
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
Ah, okay. I might just buy CDC then. I'm writing a list of albums to buy this year

Its on my list too. But I can't find the CD in stores!

Oh wait, of course... there are internet sources... but I'd rather not pay shipping.

But The Collective is good. Its just not as engaging as CDC, I find.
MATTERHORN
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Write one jangly guitar riff. Then sing about the pain of it all.

You're now done.

Congrats.

dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh wait, of course... there are internet sources... but I'd rather not pay shipping.

Online prices are still low compared to store prices. Just buy 'em on Amazon. Cheap and easy.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
can anyone post some examples of tracks they've made that have been directly or indirectly influenced by this technique?
Quote by fenderdude06
...favorite album or few albums... try to emulate on occasion in writing our own music or improvisation... I've noticed that my writing style typically revolves around a few distinct sounds coming from my favorite artists, obviously this is what influence means in association between different music groups.

I typically will listen to an album... I reflect upon what I've just heard... apply certain aspects from it towards my own musical creation... take selected ideas... from multiple musical works and combine them... in order to create and experiment...

I like to think that my consumption of music is similar to this (though not as eloquently put) and that I try to apply what I've learned based on what I've dug from experience.

so you're saying that you listen to bands/music you like, take away ideas from it, and apply them to your own music? that is what pretty much every musician ever has done.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
It probably seems a bit of an odd mix, but mine are:

The Kooks - KONK (perhaps not to everyone's taste, but I think some of their riffs are fantastic!)
Arctic Monkeys - Humbug (I really liked their use of effects on this album)
Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed (You Can't Always Get What You Want inspires me, every time)
RHCP - By The Way (John Frusciante = Genius)
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix
The albums that 100% of the time, make me go and pick up a guitar and play some shit:

The Doors - Morrison Hotel
Led Zeppelin II
Hendrix - Axis: Bold As Love
SRV - Texas Flood
Clapton - Unplugged

On that note .. i'm off.
OK Computer never fails to make me want to write something awesome. Then I pick up my guitar and fail to come close to being satisfied with the results :/ I tend to get carried away and set my standards to high.
I don't know about overall additives to my influences, but I find when I write I can usually hear a lot of influence to which band I happen to be playing/listening to the most of at that moment.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Between The Buried And Me - Colors
Nevermore- This Godless Endeavor (the other albums too)
Joe Satriani- Surfing With The Alien
Keith Merrow- Awaken The Stone King
Jeff Loomis- Zero Order Phase

I like a lot of solo albums. They make me feel like I can make everything myself.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Quote by fenderdude06
can anyone post some examples of tracks they've made that have been directly or indirectly influenced by this technique?
I created this track after listening to Cliff Martinez's score to Solaris. I took a lot of inspiration from it; the layering of mallet-like instruments overlaid with strings. Still not sure whether it came out as an application of his style/ pastiche/ or just a rip-off.

http://soundcloud.com/overheadcableshumming/kelvin