Alright, so, I have a 500 dollar budget to help me get a good metal set up going right now. Right now I have a Jackson KVX10 which I love and a Line 6 Spider III 15-watt which I'm hating more and more everyday. So my primary objective is to get a nice amp, I've heard the Fender Frontman (300 USD) is good if you use a distortion pedal and what not. The kind of bands I want to play are like Meshuggah, The Faceless, and I even want to be able to play jazz fusion. So some pedals would be nice too, I was thinking one of the metal zone petals and anything thing else that helps, thanks guys!!
Also, I forgot to mention, I'll be playing small gigs and playing at a warehouse to practice.
As far as pedals go, I personally wouldn't recommend any boss or typical digital pedals for the setup. You can find a lot of awesome pedals around that are used and perfectly fine for the same price as a new metal zone. My favorite pedal for metal is the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, you'll be able to get so much more tones out of it than one of those metal zones. As far as amps go though, itd be too hard for me to decide within your price range, there are a lot that I feel are of the same merit. Maybe check out a Bugera? One of those would have been my first look. Hope that helped!
Quote by Picklelerner
As far as pedals go, I personally wouldn't recommend any boss or typical digital pedals for the setup. You can find a lot of awesome pedals around that are used and perfectly fine for the same price as a new metal zone. My favorite pedal for metal is the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, you'll be able to get so much more tones out of it than one of those metal zones. As far as amps go though, itd be too hard for me to decide within your price range, there are a lot that I feel are of the same merit. Maybe check out a Bugera? One of those would have been my first look. Hope that helped!

thanks a lot man, ill check into those!
do not get a fender frontman, please.

Heres what your gonna wanna do. your gonna wanna look at my bands facebook then go to ebay and find a used bugera 333xl or 6262 HEAD not a combo. you can get one for a good price id say from 300-400 at the most. Then once you get that you'll have what 100-200 left over? check out craigslist for a good used 412 or 212 cab (id opt for the 412) and pick it up.

cuz check this out i got my 333xl for 350 and a 412 cab for 80 bucks off craigslist. and i now have a 120w tube head and 412 cab for it for under 500 whaaat? its pretty legit dude. and im telling you now you'd love the set up and the sound i know i do.

Ignore the bugera haters too. everyone will tell "oh bugeras are garbage, they sound like shit, they start on fire, thier unrealiable" its all bullshit. Ive had mine for 2 years never had a problem other than replacing the tubes, i push it hard in practices 2-4 times a week, gig with it plenty, and we use it to record. So yeah id say its a tough amp as long as you dont treat it like shit and beat the hell out of it you'll be good.

good luck bro. look at my band. lol
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by OurRequiem

Heres what your gonna wanna do. your gonna wanna look at my bands facebook then go to ebay and find a used bugera 333xl or 6262 HEAD not a combo. you can get one for a good price id say from 300-400 at the most. Then once you get that you'll have what 100-200 left over? check out craigslist for a good used 412 or 212 cab (id opt for the 412) and pick it up.

cuz check this out i got my 333xl for 350 and a 412 cab for 80 bucks off craigslist.

Wow, are Bugera heads really that cheap second hand? Awesome. Head and cab is definitely the superior option then, you can buy beaten up cabs for next to nothing.

And yes, the frontman is a pile of crap.
Quote by kyle62
A used Bugera 6262/333 combo is BY FAR your best choice. Whereabouts do you live?

Ft Lauderdale Florida
Quote by OurRequiem

cuz check this out i got my 333xl for 350 and a 412 cab for 80 bucks off craigslist. and i now have a 120w tube head and 412 cab for it for under 500 whaaat? its pretty legit dude. and im telling you now you'd love the set up and the sound i know i do.

Ignore the bugera haters too. everyone will tell "oh bugeras are garbage, they sound like shit, they start on fire, thier unrealiable" its all bullshit. Ive had mine for 2 years never had a problem other than replacing the tubes, i push it hard in practices 2-4 times a week, gig with it plenty, and we use it to record. So yeah id say its a tough amp as long as you dont treat it like shit and beat the hell out of it you'll be good.

good luck bro. look at my band. lol

thanks man, seems i'll be getting a bugera as a lot of people are mentioning them. does bugera of a good stock metal sound or will i have to get a distortion pedal with it? and im in school right now and facebook is blocked, but i'll check out your band as soon as i get home!
Looks like I might get the Bugera 6262 head, found it somewhere for 300 bucks used. And do cabs produce generally the same sound or is there a specific one I should look for? Sorry, I've never got serious enough to be looking into amp heads and cabs, always used shitty practice amps.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Maybe look into a used Peavey Ultra? They go really cheap here, so I imagine they'd be even cheaper in the US. Good for metal apparently.

oh yeah i was reading about them, they also have the peavy ultra+ or something i think for an extra 50-100 bucks
Hey man, nothing wrong with Bugera these days. But before you buy. Look into a used Ampeg VH-140 C.

What kind of metal will you be playing? There are alot of different genres with different sounds to acheive.

PS for metal, regardless of which kind. Buy an amp that has good tone instead of a good clean amp and a distortion pedeal. (many will argue this, especially with small venues, alot of clubs do not like 100w amps)

Also the cab will make a huge difference. For budget, again id look used. It's going to be hard getting a really great cab for the $200 or so you will have left over. In that price range id try to find an Avatar or aCarvin, they go cheap. or even a 5150 cab if your lucky. Just stay away from sheffield speakers that come in most peavey cabs that sound like shit.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by Aotz
Ft Lauderdale Florida
Not much on your CL right now. If you were in Orlando I could hook you up with a Fender Pro Jr and a XT Live for $350. Or an RP1000 instead of the XT Live for $400.
Quote by fly135
Not much on your CL right now. If you were in Orlando I could hook you up with a Fender Pro Jr and a XT Live for $350. Or an RP1000 instead of the XT Live for $400.

yeah, i've been checking craigslist a lot, not a lot of good stuff right now. and that sounds like a pretty good deal but I couldn't make the drive the xt live, that's a line 6 pod right?
Yep that's Line 6, but not the Pod. It's the floor unit. There is a Crate 5152 for $250 and a Classic 30 for $300 on the Orlando list right now.
If you're satisfied with your guitar, I would invest every last penny of that $500 in a used amp for metal, not a crap amp and some pedals. Fender FM is a crap amp. Check out these possibilities:

Krank Rev. Jr.
Peavey XXX Super 40
Peavey Ultra
Peavey Ultra +
Peavey 5150/6505 combo
Jet City JCA22
Blackstar HT-5 or HT-20
Mesa Studio .22 or .22+
Mesa DC-2/DC-3/DC-5
Mesa .50 cal 1x12
Mesa Subway Rocket

Those Mesa's typically sell for over 5, but you can find them going for around that price if you're patient. I've seen the .50 for well under 5 on craigslist, and the Subway Rocket for less, same with the studios.
Quote by lumberjack
If you're satisfied with your guitar, I would invest every last penny of that $500 in a used amp for metal, not a crap amp and some pedals. Fender FM is a crap amp. Check out these possibilities:

Krank Rev. Jr.
Peavey XXX Super 40
Peavey Ultra
Peavey Ultra +
Peavey 5150/6505 combo
Jet City JCA22
Blackstar HT-5 or HT-20
Mesa Studio .22 or .22+
Mesa DC-2/DC-3/DC-5
Mesa .50 cal 1x12
Mesa Subway Rocket

Those Mesa's typically sell for over 5, but you can find them going for around that price if you're patient. I've seen the .50 for well under 5 on craigslist, and the Subway Rocket for less, same with the studios.

i would love a nice mesa head but they're expensive, what do you think about a bogera 6262?
Quote by Aotz
i would love a nice mesa head but they're expensive, what do you think about a bogera 6262?

I listed amps that can be had within your price range if you look hard enough; some of them can even be had brand new inside your price range, and some for weeeeeell under $500 used, like the Blackstar and Peavey stuff. All those Mesas come in combo form as well. You could also boost Traynors like the YVC50Blue or YCV50B into metal territory with ease. People boost Egnater amps into metal, which I personally don't like, but they do it with the Rebel and Tweaker series amps.

All the stuff I'm mentioning can be had within $500, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it.
Last edited by lumberjack at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by maddnotez
Hey man, nothing wrong with Bugera these days. But before you buy. Look into a used Ampeg VH-140 C.

What kind of metal will you be playing? There are alot of different genres with different sounds to acheive.

PS for metal, regardless of which kind. Buy an amp that has good tone instead of a good clean amp and a distortion pedeal. (many will argue this, especially with small venues, alot of clubs do not like 100w amps)

Also the cab will make a huge difference. For budget, again id look used. It's going to be hard getting a really great cab for the $200 or so you will have left over. In that price range id try to find an Avatar or aCarvin, they go cheap. or even a 5150 cab if your lucky. Just stay away from sheffield speakers that come in most peavey cabs that sound like shit.

mostly be playing technical death metal, melodic death metal, some thrash and black.