Does anyone have any experience with these pickups? Are they anywhere near as awesome as the description on SD's site makes them sound? How "authentic" are the P90, SC and humbucker tones?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Listen to some Thrice. Dustin Kensrue uses them in his Jaguar. Daedalus is a good example of them clean.
I really like them. They are a little noisy, but incredibly versatile and sound amazing other than the noise it's really an amazing pickup.
They do a pretty darn good job. They're versatile pickups.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
The P90 tone is about as good as you can expect it to be considering it is of course not proper P90 dimensions. It gets really close, closer than the SD Phat Cat does. It's noticably fatter than a regular split humbucker would be.

The Rail coil doesn't sound much like a normal single coil. Maybe a Tele neck single coil. Obviously because it's a blade design it has a smoother tone to it than a proper single single. It's a nice tone in its own right but it's not vintage-sounding at all. It sounds pretty much like any split humbucker does.

Parallel sounds to me like P90 just with no hum and a little treble rolled off. The P90 part doesn't hum that badly in the first place so I see no point in this mode.

Series sounds very good, sort of like a SD Pearly Gates. It's not got a totally focused modern tone but it's not got a completely open classic PAF tone either. I'd say it's like 70% vintage, 30% modern.

I have one in the neck of a Firebird with the SD triple shot to get all the tones and I get fair use out of it. I mostly find myself going between the P90 and series tones. I occasionally use the rail tone. I don't remember the last time I really used the parallel tone. I have it with the rail towards the neck which is backwards to how its normally installed but I find it sounds btter this way. It makes the lower strings a little bit clearer with the pickup in series. The P90 tone stays about the same and the rail tone is fattened up just a tiny bit.
Would you say the neck pickup is really bright or dark? Or is it pretty balanced?

Reason being is that I'm thinking of putting them in a 24 fret guitar, but if they're really bright, I'm not sure I want to put the neck that much closer to the bridge. Alternatively, if they're really dark, that extra 2 frets of space could be beneficial to balancing out the tone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
they are pretty decent pickups.

not too dark.