Hi,

In my experience of playing acoustics I have always found that Taylor guitars sound better. They have better projection, better volume, clarity, sustain and visual appearance. Every Martin I have played ( everything up to HD-28 and 000-28 Clapton model) always failed to impress me. They are nice guitars, but not amazing.

I am most interested in an evaluation of Taylor GS models and comparable (if any) Martins.

Thanks.

P.S. based on some of the responses to this post I want to make it CLEAR: I am interested in a comparison between Taylor vs Martin.
Last edited by ikravchik at Dec 5, 2011,
I wrote this in the gibson/martin/taylor thread but it got locked while i was typing:

I'm sure that i'm gonna get laughed at for this...but I was looking around for acoustics a few years ago and after trying out all the $2000+ guitars, I fell in love with a washburn that was on sale for 900 bucks.

http://www.acclaim-music.com/Washburn-J28SDL-6-String-Acoustic-Guitar.html

The only thing I didn't like about it was that it came with a plastic nut and saddle. Big deal. 40 bucks later I have a hand made, kickass guitar for less than half the price of the elitist name brand ones.

Whether or not it will last 40 years like martins and gibsons have been known to do is another story, but honestly for sound, playability and appearances, this one competes for less than half the price.
Quote by ikravchik
Hi,

I was wondering if you could share why you are a fan of Martin guitars? In my experience of playing acoustics I have always found that Taylor guitars sound better. They have better projection, better volume, clarity, sustain and visual appearance. Every Martin I have played ( everything up to HD-28 and 000-28 Clapton model) always failed to impress me. They are nice guitars, but not amazing. They look generic and conservative.I honestly do not see why everybody seems to swear by them.

I am most interested in comparisons between Taylor GS models and comparable (if any) Martins.

Thanks.
So you trolled in all the way from Iceland, did you? Should we be expecting a Viking invasion?

I was told earlier that I lack even basic social skills. I felt rather liberated by that observation,. That said, why would you expect a Martin fan would have to justify their preference to you?

Taylors do sound better. Took all the fun out of that argument for ya, didn't I?
Quote by mike_oxbig
I wrote this in the gibson/martin/taylor thread but it got locked while i was typing:

Yeah well, make yourself at home. Leif Erikson here isn't taking no for an argument, er I mean answer.......
you shouldn't make fun dude he might be related to the bad coach from mighty ducks 2. that guy was scary. lucky for america, guess who was on the other bench. emilio ****in estevez. the mighty ducks man. i swear to god, i saw him myself. i was like "emilioooo!"

i'll bet emilio plays a martin.
It's a pity that when Peter Townshend went into his acoustic only phase that he stopped smashing guitars as well. I'd of given almost anything to see him toothpick a couple of high end Taylors.....
Quote by Captaincranky
So you trolled in all the way from Iceland, did you? Should we be expecting a Viking invasion?

I was told earlier that I lack even basic social skills. I felt rather liberated by that observation,. That said, why would you expect a Martin fan would have to justify their preference to you?

Taylors do sound better. Took all the fun out of that argument for ya, didn't I?

How does this relate to what I have posted? I am sorry did I hurt your feelings? Please don't waste time doing background checks on where I am from and typing in my thread. Good bye.
Ok, I was to elaborate with my initial question. Let me dumb it down for you:

Tell me, why do you prefer Martin guitars over others?

Keep an eye out for those berserks! Not only do they eat shrooms, but they are hatin' on martinz!

God bless
i don't prefer any brand of anything over all others. that being said, martins are great sounding guitars that tend to have more bass, where taylors have a brighter sound and a sparkle in the top end. there are some of each i really like.

btw, while i don't buy or browse guitars based on how they look, you might want to consider that the reason martins look "generic" is because 100 years or more ago their company invented the look of the modern guitar, and they've been copied by every company ever since.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Exactly. It all comes down to preference; to what your ears and fingers like. Martin, Taylor, Gibson...Half a dozen "boutique" makers....All make very fine instruments. "Better" is a subjective judgement at that level.
Pigeon-holing yourself into a specific brand is a bad idea. All you end up with is preconceptions of what is "good". If it sounds good, plays well, etc., that's all that matters.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
There are many great guitars on the market, not only from manufactures in the US, but from makers in other countries like Brazil, England, Canada, and Australia, just to name a few.

The biggest factor to bear in mind when comparing or evaluating different guitars is the conditon of the string. I have seen lots of high end guitars in shops and stores hanging on the wall with old, fatigued, or dirty strings. If you were to give a group of people a blind tone test, using the exact same guitars, one with old strings and the other with relatively new strings, the overwhelming majority would say the guitar with the new strings is a high end and the other was at the low of the quality spectrum.

As others have said, don't be married to one brand.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
martins suckzxorz!
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
in my grand life dream... i will have at least one of every guitar on the planet. every guitar has its own personality. but, back to the original question... patti summed it up best( she usually does) depends on what your looking for in a guitar. i like them both as well as gibbies and others. never tried a breedlove or maton among many many others( i envy patti and the plethora of music shops in her part of the world). they both have attributes which a like greatly.