I have a Gibson SG special, and i just bought an emg 85 to replace the bridge pickup with.
the wiring diagrams that come with it talk about wiring for one and two pup guitars.
since im only replacing one of the pickups in my two pup guitar, which diagram should i follow? or should i not follow either of them?

any tips anyone can give me would be great.
Quote by slingshotjr
as far as i know, u cant (easily at least) have one passive and one active

the only thing that makes it difficult is the difference in the pots

you'll have to have different volume/tone pots for each pickup
honestly if you are going to throw an 85 in the bridge, and leave the 490R in the neck they are not going to sound good together. my as well go with another EMG in the neck it is also a pain to do.

also you may have a hard time fitting the battery.

i have one SG with dual 81's, which i am wiring to two switches, two on/off switches, and nothing else. thats doom guitar though, i can't necessarily say that is ideal for too many players.

my other SG is a 1/400 production, so that one is staying unmodified.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by rickyj
the only thing that makes it difficult is the difference in the pots

you'll have to have different volume/tone pots for each pickup

so couldn't i leave the stock pots for the neck pup in, and only replace the two for the bridge pup? im a total noob when it comes to this kind of thing.

another thought: i NEVER use my neck pickup. if it is such a challenge to use one passive and one active, couldn't i just take out the neck pickup?
Quote by JohnnyChimpo241
so couldn't i leave the stock pots for the neck pup in, and only replace the two for the bridge pup? im a total noob when it comes to this kind of thing.

another thought: i NEVER use my neck pickup. if it is such a challenge to use one passive and one active, couldn't i just take out the neck pickup?

you could if you wanted to, but i am sure at some point you will want it in. i did not check prior to this post, but i am assuming you haven't been playing for a long time (just by the nature of the question). your bridge pickup isn't what you would want to use for a really smooth silky lead, the bridge pickup has more bite, which i think that less experienced musicians don't see a use for the neck pickup.

there are quite a few well known guitarists that get everything off of one pickup (Alexi Liaho is one off the top of my head), and i am sure there are tons more.

but most people get to a time where they use both pickups.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you could if you wanted to, but i am sure at some point you will want it in. i did not check prior to this post, but i am assuming you haven't been playing for a long time (just by the nature of the question). your bridge pickup isn't what you would want to use for a really smooth silky lead, the bridge pickup has more bite, which i think that less experienced musicians don't see a use for the neck pickup.

there are quite a few well known guitarists that get everything off of one pickup (Alexi Liaho is one off the top of my head), and i am sure there are tons more.

but most people get to a time where they use both pickups.

actually i've been playing for six years.... lol

but i play in a band that has relatively metal/hardcore tones to the guitars.
i understand that the neck pickup is going to give me a smoother tone, but
my "sound" comes from the sharp bite that the bridge pup has.

it was just thought anyways.
Quote by JohnnyChimpo241
actually i've been playing for six years.... lol

but i play in a band that has relatively metal/hardcore tones to the guitars.
i understand that the neck pickup is going to give me a smoother tone, but
my "sound" comes from the sharp bite that the bridge pup has.

it was just thought anyways.

fair enough.i have played around eight. i have been on a melodic death mode for a while, and i don't know what i would do without the neck pickup for some of the leads.

but i mainly play blues, and you really would probably want a neck pickup for that. i say to take the time and wire it up (passive and active) then you still have the passive if you want to experiment, with something else.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
fair enough.i have played around eight. i have been on a melodic death mode for a while, and i don't know what i would do without the neck pickup for some of the leads.

but i mainly play blues, and you really would probably want a neck pickup for that. i say to take the time and wire it up (passive and active) then you still have the passive if you want to experiment, with something else.

cool. so it sounds like its just going to take a bit more finessing then.

so as far the actual wiring goes, how should i go about it?

EDIT: i found this on the link above, will this work?
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w
Last edited by JohnnyChimpo241 at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by JohnnyChimpo241
cool. so it sounds like its just going to take a bit more finessing then.

so as far the actual wiring goes, how should i go about it?

EDIT: i found this on the link above, will this work?
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w

no that wont. both pickups are passive in that diagram. the PITA about active and passive on the same guitar is that the power from the battery can only get to the EMG and not the neck pickup. essentially it is a little bit about having two circuits that merge.

i would probably be right, but i don't want to draw up a diagram for you and have it be wrong, as the last thing i ever want to do is to mislead somebody and cause a problem.

you are going to have a hard time getting that 9V in there though (at least i did and i pulled two pots (permanently) at that time and got her in.

keep searching. if i find anything that can help you i will be sure to post back.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!