So, I've had a Marshall AVT50 for quite a while, and I recently started realizing just how bad it actually sounds. I'm a pretty squared away guitarist, but I've just now started worrying about tone. So, I figured with my next check I'll make the plunge to tube.

Budget: <$1000. The cheaper the better however, I still have a laundry list of pedals I want. And I wont be gigging at large or even medium sized venues un-miced.

Style: I play a lot of high gain stuff at home (Malmsteen, Vai, Satch, The Human Abstract, and even scooped metal sometimes) but gigging will likely be Dire Straights/SRV sounds to hard rock, EVH probably being the heaviest. I'm probably ok with putting a EH metal muff into a clean signal, even if it doesn't sound as amazing.

Weight: I really don't want to lug around much more than 50 lbs.

Perceived volume: Has to cut through a medium-loud drummer at small venues.

I play a MiM SSS Strat, and a home dremeled-out, Squier HSS strat.

After a trip to Best Buy the Fender Blues Jr sounded pretty good to me, and it met a lot of my criteria.

But, what are my other options I may be missing?
Last edited by mfoster at Dec 5, 2011,
what you want is a egnater tweaker its the amp that will fit your needs better then most amps
but if you play metal get a pedal like what i did or go buy a marshall

keep on rocking \m/
JSX is over budget.

I've never heard of Egnater. I was looking at mainly the Vox night train, and tiny terror to a lesser extent as alternatives to the Blues jr.

But the tweaker looks decent. It's weird how G12h30's are my favorite speaker. Any recommended video demo showing all the different voicing?
Quote by mfoster
JSX is over budget.

I've never heard of Egnater. I was looking at mainly the Vox night train, and tiny terror to a lesser extent as alternatives to the Blues jr.

But the tweaker looks decent. Any recommended video demo showing all the different voicing?

Where do you live? I found one on Craigs list Los Angeles with the matching cab for 900 used.

Also for the tweaker demo its called youtube or google.

If you followed the forum rules and posted what part of the country you lived in I could have better responded with a few links.

Egnater is great, tweaker can do a ton of stuff- I just hope you like turning knobs and flicking switches.
Last edited by R45VT at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by mfoster
JSX is over budget.

But the tweaker looks decent. It's weird how G12h30's are my favorite speaker. Any recommended video demo showing all the different voicing?

here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV3MmTN29YY

there are a ton more on youtube so i just clicked the first one
I'm actually really liking these Egnator demos. Seems like a freaking steal at that price. You can even play metal on AC mode with the mids scooped. lol. I'm really thinking about buying this, even though I have no way to test play it.

There's gotta be a catch though... =/

Is it as loud as a Blues Jr, with about the same head room?
I think you will want a tube amp at least 30 watts if you're playing with drummers. Have a look at Blackstar HT-40.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Tweaker should be fine with a drummer. As long as you don't need perfectly clean cleans. At band volume you'll have some grit. Plus you say you'll be mic'd most of the time anyway, so you could turn the amp down a bit for better clean tone, and use the PA to give you volume. Though the tweaker is single channel, so if it's set up for crunch you'll only get cleans with volume knob roll off anyway.

Where do you live? I assumed it was in the US since you listed your max budget in dollars, but I can't imagine you couldn't find a JSX head used in your budget. Unless you're dead set on buying new.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I live in Florida.

One other criteria I forgot to mention is bedroom levels. I'd like it to sound decent at decently quiet levels.

Have you considered a Dark Terror or a Tiny Terror, or maybe even a Dual Terror?

I found their cleans/grit to be relatively uninteresting, and I large part of what I do is SRV, and other low-gain stuff. The medium to high-gain was maybe the best I've heard in this category, except for maybe the blackstar.

Also, the JSX is to big for my needs. I don't really want 120w, its much bigger and heavier than I need. If I'm going to spend more I want it to be because of tone, not wattage. and I'd prefer <30 watts, in every case. I really like lunchbox amps.

But thanks Joey for suggesting the Tweaker. That thing seems right up my alley. I just wish I could test it out... but come on $275 for 2x12 G12H30s? Unreal.

Just a few more questions though.

Does it have the same, or close, touch sensitive feel as a Blues Jr?
Can I roll off me guitar's volume to get clean-ish at high/low volumes?
Quote by mfoster
I'm actually really liking these Egnator demos. Seems like a freaking steal at that price. You can even play metal on AC mode with the mids scooped. lol. I'm really thinking about buying this, even though I have no way to test play it.

There's gotta be a catch though... =/

Is it as loud as a Blues Jr, with about the same head room?

I don't have as much headroom, but my room mate has a fender hotrod deluxe and my tweaker is the same volume,both amps all cranked, as his is (we are both running 2*12)

although I am not running matching cab. I love mine to bits. the brit mode is very plexi like, a tiny bit less saturation, but more gain. I usually run it with a tube screamer in front and it sounds amazing for everything I throw at it (The heaviest I play is Megadeth from time to time, usually more like VH and GnR and Iron Maiden type stuff).

EDIT: very volume sensitive. You can run the gain maxed out and roll off your volume for clean (which is how I usually do it)
Last edited by Chad11491 at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by mfoster
I live in Florida.

One other criteria I forgot to mention is bedroom levels. I'd like it to sound decent at decently quiet levels.

I found their cleans/grit to be relatively uninteresting, and I large part of what I do is SRV, and other low-gain stuff. The medium to high-gain was maybe the best I've heard in this category, except for maybe the blackstar.

Also, the JSX is to big for my needs. I don't really want 120w, its much bigger and heavier than I need. If I'm going to spend more I want it to be because of tone, not wattage. and I'd prefer <30 watts, in every case. I really like lunchbox amps.

But thanks Joey for suggesting the Tweaker. That thing seems right up my alley. I just wish I could test it out... but come on $275 for 2x12 G12H30s? Unreal.

Just a few more questions though.

Does it have the same, or close, touch sensitive feel as a Blues Jr?
Can I roll off me guitar's volume to get clean-ish at high/low volumes?

Well bedroom volume is not that bad but if you want metal you will need to crank the vol or get a pedal for that type of gain at bedroom vol so if you want like ac/dc type gain on the hot setting it wont be that loud and it will do really nice cleans at low vol

its pretty sensitive you can go form ac/dc to a slight overdrive so what i would do for that is have the bridge pickup at 10 and the neck at 2or3 for that slight overdrive but it is a really loud amp when you need it to be
the tweaker 40 is a two channel version with higher output (40 watts) which 'usually' means better clean headroom.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/egnater-tweaker-40-112-40w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h72382000000000
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
I played the night train today, and I was completely disappointed. The gain is underwhelming unless its cranked in "thick" mode which lacks an EQ, and sounds just ok.

The clean is vox-ish, but not quite as good as the AC15 or 30. The bluesy overdrive was completely disappointing which is really what made me not want it.

Then again, I went up to Best Buy and played the Blues Jr. again. I freaking love that amp. Sounds amazing with just a a little grit, clean, and cranked with full gain. It's small, LIGHTWEIGHT, and really convenient for gigs. It won't reach hard rock levels of gain, but that's what pedals are for right? Plus, with money saved, I can go pedal shopping, yeee!

I might miss the Vox cleans every once in a while, but it's not often I really want them.

I'm a little sad I wont be getting a head/cab combo though. =[
Quote by mfoster
I played the night train today, and I was completely disappointed. The gain is underwhelming unless its cranked in "thick" mode which lacks an EQ, and sounds just ok.

The clean is vox-ish, but not quite as good as the AC15 or 30. The bluesy overdrive was completely disappointing which is really what made me not want it.

Then again, I went up to Best Buy and played the Blues Jr. again. I freaking love that amp. Sounds amazing with just a a little grit, clean, and cranked with full gain. It's small, LIGHTWEIGHT, and really convenient for gigs. It won't reach hard rock levels of gain, but that's what pedals are for right? Plus, with money saved, I can go pedal shopping, yeee!

I might miss the Vox cleans every once in a while, but it's not often I really want them.

I'm a little sad I wont be getting a head/cab combo though. =[

its good you found the right amp

keep on rocking dude\m/
its good you found the right amp

Ya, I liked your suggestion, it's just I don't want to roll the dice and get the tweaker without even trying it, seeing as how the Vox was such a big let down.
Quote by mfoster
Ya, I liked your suggestion, it's just I don't want to roll the dice and get the tweaker without even trying it, seeing as how the Vox was such a big let down.

yeah i know how that is there are a lot of guitar centers in florida here are all the stores
Hallandale
South Miami
West Palm Beach
Winter Park
Lakeland
Tampa
Ft. Myers
Orlando
Pensacola

they have pretty much any amp or guitar you can think of
I had a Blues Jr and yea, they're great. A set of Mullard RIs made it more like a Fender clean.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
So I tested out some amps at guitar center today. Was quite a drive. >.>

The Vox AC15C1 really had my attention most of the time. That thing sounds magnificent.

I played the Tweaker combo and wasn't all that impressed by it. It sounded kind of lifeless in comparison to the Vox and Fender.

Peavey Classic 30 was pretty decent, definitely more alive than the Tweaker, but nothing to write home about either.

They didn't have a tiny terror though. So, I still haven't got to test that one out.

Another thing I was wanting to try but they didn't have, was the Ibanez TSA15H.
Anyone have an opinion on the Ibanez?