Page 1 of 3
The full title of my thread, for clarification, is "Space colonisation will never happen and you are stupid for believing it will".

Colonising the moon is often offered as an attractive solution to the overpopulation problems we will inevitably face on Earth in the future. Everyone from NASA to Prof Hawking has commented on the issue. Superficially, it seems a solid plan.

I can show this plan to be flawed and wrong with one brief thought experiment.

---

It's simple: if we were to colonise the moon, we would presumably try to make it as much like Earth as possible. Humans like surroundings they can adapt to, surroundings they're familiar with.

But consider this.

On Earth, we have tall buildings. Skyscrapers. Towers. All sorts.

Say we build a skyscraper on the colonised moon, which would be inevitable as financial districts and so on expand. Now, buildings obviously need fixed up now and then due to wear and tear.

Say our skyscraper needed some maintenance done on it. The roof, specifically. So we send someone up there to get to work.

Therein lies the problem.

If someone was to go up to the top of a skyscraper ON THE MOON, that is, a skyscraper subject to THE MOON'S GRAVITY, what's to stop him just floating off to Neptune or something?

Even if we just don't build skyscrapers, it'd still be risky to have like tall houses and so on. So in the end, we'd colonise the moon only to present a risk EVEN GREATER than the one posed by overpopulation on Earth.

Great thinking, guys.
Are You Shpongled..?
I don't think you could build a sky scraper tall enough on the moon that you'd fly off towards another planet.

Even if you did break away from the moon's gravitational pull, you'd probably get pulled towards Earth, hopefully landing on something soft like a pillow full of duck feathers.
Quote by That Old Geezer
Really its just that easy?! Wow thats amazing

Yep
Check out my band Disturbed
What if you build things underground TS?
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Didn't read anything more than the title, but as long as the rest of your post isn't arse-backwards retarded, I agree with you.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Didn't read anything more than the title, but as long as the rest of your post isn't arse-backwards retarded, I agree with you.

Read it, it's most certainly arse-backwards retarded.
Quote by nugiboy
what's to stop him just floating off to Neptune or something?

You won't float off. Moons gravity is 1/6th of that on Earth, it just won't happen.

I would have thought you'd talk about the lack of oxygen or the extreme temperature changes.

Anyway, people are harnessed on top of skyscrapers on Earth, don't you think they'll do the same on the moon? Astronauts carry out work in space on space stations, you think they just venture out with no harness?

Edit: Damn have I been trolled?
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Last edited by cptcomet at Dec 5, 2011,
Tethers, magnets, or just give them jetpacks so if they let go they can jetpack back.

Or just go underground where the brass bands play and feet start to pound.
The moon still has gravity, even though it's not as strong as on earth.
And if the problem you presented would be the biggest problem with colonization in space, then we'd be colonizing the moon already.

A bigger problem would probably be the fact that metroids would be destroying our moon bases.

Edit:
I feel like I just got trolled.
DeVillains!
Quote by nugiboy
The full title of my thread, for clarification, is "Space colonisation will never happen and you are stupid for believing it will".

Colonising the moon is often offered as an attractive solution to the overpopulation problems we will inevitably face on Earth in the future. Everyone from NASA to Prof Hawking has commented on the issue. Superficially, it seems a solid plan.

I can show this plan to be flawed and wrong with one brief thought experiment.

---

It's simple: if we were to colonise the moon, we would presumably try to make it as much like Earth as possible. Humans like surroundings they can adapt to, surroundings they're familiar with.

But consider this.

On Earth, we have tall buildings. Skyscrapers. Towers. All sorts.

Say we build a skyscraper on the colonised moon, which would be inevitable as financial districts and so on expand. Now, buildings obviously need fixed up now and then due to wear and tear.

Say our skyscraper needed some maintenance done on it. The roof, specifically. So we send someone up there to get to work.

Therein lies the problem.

If someone was to go up to the top of a skyscraper ON THE MOON, that is, a skyscraper subject to THE MOON'S GRAVITY, what's to stop him just floating off to Neptune or something?

Even if we just don't build skyscrapers, it'd still be risky to have like tall houses and so on. So in the end, we'd colonise the moon only to present a risk EVEN GREATER than the one posed by overpopulation on Earth.

Great thinking, guys.

That did not make any sense.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Last edited by stealstrings at Dec 5, 2011,
o.0
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Wear and tear from what?
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
"what's to stop him just floating off to Neptune or something?"

I do believe the answer to this question is the whimsical phenomenon known as the force of gravity.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

But srsly dude, multiple-floor moon-buildings aren't built on top of the moon, they're drilled INTO the moon

everyone knows that sh*t

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The issue here is the fact that TS wasted all that time typing that up.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by nugiboy
a skyscraper subject to THE MOON'S GRAVITY, what's to stop him just floating off to Neptune or something?

This is known as Automatic Trade Routing, in which we use this inherent floating feature to transport commerce from the moon to Neptune with little outside energy needed. It minimizes the shipping expenditure.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
even underground would pose risks, the moon has quakes and shiz so you're ****ed anyways.

it doesn't have an atmosphere either or anything to protect you from the dangers of space.

I'd much prefer we lived out the rest of it here.

and that whole maintanence point you made there TS is really stupid, you fix it with the same means that allowed you to build it there.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by SlackerBabbath
So he actualy wanted everyone to think he's stupid?

everyone believed him and wasted time trying to debunk is absurd logic.

thats kinda the point of trolling i suppose
They'd find something to fix that, some day. In the meantime, try not to think you're extremely smart. Others have done that and it usually doesn't benefit anyone.
What, so you're just going to ignore every mainstream depiction of other world colonization since the concept was even born? Barring the fact that we could THEORETICALLY terraform a planet with a similar gravitational force and atmosphere, the idea that everyone from scientists to science fiction writers have embraced is the enclosed space theory (space domes, giant planetary windshield, whatever you want to call it) that will keep people from floating away, simulate artificial gravity, and provide a hospitable atmosphere. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that off world colonization COULD be achieved. The thing that makes me worry it'll never happen is current events. This world is going to shit, doubt we'll be around long enough to develop that technology. Look to the present's problems first instead of planning a future that might not even be there
Quote by rickyj
everyone believed him and wasted time trying to debunk is absurd logic.

thats kinda the point of trolling i suppose

I actualy knew that, I was just pretending that I didn't.

Did I just troll you?
I think the real question here is: If we're colonizing shit, why the moon and not just...another planet?
Quote by Mack56
I think the real question here is: If we're colonizing shit, why the moon and not just...another planet?

How many other planets have we been to?

Also, revelent .
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Why not just colonise the Sun?
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I actualy knew that, I was just pretending that I didn't.

Did I just troll you?

NO >.>

I will NOT be had by some filthy troll. *starts breathing heavily*
Quote by Mack56

For space colonisation, it is reckoned that the moon would be the best place to start.
I suppose once we have an industrial infrastructure in place there, we could start building space ships on the moon using materials mined from the moon which will be much easier to launch in the moons weaker gravity.

Quote by rickyj
NO >.>

I will NOT be had by some filthy troll. *starts breathing heavily*

Now I'm confused, are you being serious or are you just trolling me?
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Dec 5, 2011,
Page 1 of 3