The hard case that comes with the American Standard Telecaster, is it good enough to be used as a flight case.

Im off to NY next year and planning on buying a Tele there as theyre cheaper. it will be too big to go on the plane as hand luggage so will have to be at the mercy of the bag throwers. Is the hard case that comes with it up to the job? Will my guitar be still in one piece when i land back in blighty?

Is this a good idea?
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Dec 5, 2011,
I personally would get a TSA approved case. I've been flying recently, and I watch those luggage loaders - they are merciless. They literally chuck the luggage into the plane. There's a possibility a regular case could pop open, depending on how good the hinges are.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
are you sure it will be too big? Last year my friend were able to bring his base in a case on the plane as hand luggage on a flight from new york.
Quote by OldRocker
buy the case a seat. There, problem solved.

HAHA! Yeah, although that might eradicate my discount by buying in the US
What would it cost to ship it back thru the post office?
-----------------------------------
G.A.S. Afflicted
Quote by jgritz

I think that would pretty much destroy my discount plus theres a good chance id have to pay import tax which im hoping to avoid by bringing it on the plane
Quote by jgritz

A lot cheaper than buying an extra seat... and you'll get it in one piece as well...

Do not let that guitar go through checked baggage without a flight case...
and you'll still have to pass through customs... if your gonna pay import taxes, they'll get you there too...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Dec 5, 2011,
Well ive just phoned American Airlines and it turns out you can take it on as hand luggage so thats that problem solved.

I just need to worrying about potentially paying import tax!
i brought a strat back from cincinnati as hand luggage. i phoned the airline (delta) before travelling and they made arrangements to stow it in the passenger cabin.

import tax? that's about 6% i think, but worse is that you will also get clobbered for VAT at 20%. if you feel like taking the risk and scooting through the green channel you may get away with it, i know people who have.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
how do they know you bought the guitar in the US? It could just be your luggage... like stuff you carried to the US, and are now bringing back. I don't know how thoroughly they look into that stuff... like checking whether or not you had a guitar with you when you flew out. But it looks like you at least got the case situation sorted.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
how do they know you bought the guitar in the US? It could just be your luggage... like stuff you carried to the US, and are now bringing back. I don't know how thoroughly they look into that stuff... like checking whether or not you had a guitar with you when you flew out. But it looks like you at least got the case situation sorted.

Well i was thinking that you see.

I could just try going through the green chanel. The chances of anyone saying anything would be slim and if they did i dont know where i would stand if i just said i took it with me.

I wouldnt fancy getting caught on a lie though and end up getting bummed in prison. I'd probably end up bottling it and paying the VAT.
Quote by jpatan

the customs guys aint that stupid.

it's up to the carrier to prove where he bought the goods, not the other way round.

believe me, i've looked into this.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix