I am thinking about putting together a guitar thru Warmoth but before I committ the money to the project I need to find out if it is possible to set and glue a bolt on neck? What are the pro's/ con's? Are there possible pliability questions issues that will arise?
-----------------------------------
G.A.S. Afflicted
Why would you want to glue on a bolt on neck?
Only issues would be strength. Will glue alone be able to withstand the string pressure for a sustained period of time plus the knocks of everyday life. Will adjustment of the trussrod be hampered, is it at the heel or nut end? If replacement is necessary for any reason, how easy would removal be?
Quote by dsss guitars
Why would you want to glue on a bolt on neck?
Only issues would be strength. Will glue alone be able to withstand the string pressure for a sustained period of time plus the knocks of everyday life. Will adjustment of the trussrod be hampered, is it at the heel or nut end? If replacement is necessary for any reason, how easy would removal be?

+1

if you wanted to make it a set you would want to router out the pocket so its like in the first pickup. you'd also need to fill in the holes
glewing in a bolt-on neck doesn't make it a set neck guitar, if that is your intention. if this is not your intention than what is?
"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and i'm all out of bubblegum"
I don't have any experience on the build side. I was trying to see in the neck could be set using pre made bolt on body and neck.
-----------------------------------
G.A.S. Afflicted
Necks made with the intention of going into a set neck guitar have a much longer tenon, and the neck pocket is much bigger - it actually extends into the pickup cavity. This is the difference between set neck and bolt-on guitars - set neck guitars have a much deeper pocket, so there's more contact between the neck and body, more transfer, etc.
The short answer is that most bolt-on guitars are designed with less surface area on the neck pocket which would make them unstable if they were held only by glue. The Warmoth neck pocket is a Fender style bolt-on and would not be suitable for making a set neck.

The good news is, you can make a really excellent guitar with a bolt-on.
what if you glued the neck on but also bolted it on and filled the space above the screws? this would only work with AANJ guitars but that would make it a set neck, sort of
“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar
That seems like a lot of work for zero benefit. Just bolt it on. Bolt-on guitars are not bad in and of themselves, they just have that reputation because a lot of cheap shitty guitars are bolt-on.