For some Crested Gecko's!

After about 3 years of deliberation I finally decided on keeping some rep's, at first I wanted a chameleon but I changed my mind and decided to go for a couple of crested geckos.

Crested Gecko's can be kept in 45cm,45cm,60cm's but I've chosen a 60cm,45cm,90cm to offer the maximum amount of space for these critters.

This is my build thread, enjoy!

29th November 2010
The Exo Terra Vivarium arrives but with broken doors, bad luck, but at least its not any of the bits which can't be replaced! I'm getting some new doors sent and should be here on the 2nd.

With that I decided to move the viv around to see where I wanted it to eventually live, and took a pic for scale..

Godly Viv with a Godly Drink

Started making my own fake rock wall..
i

I'm using the normal Exo Terra background I got with it and adding bits too it here and there. I've added a little bridge too!

I'm going to pick up some plant pots & plants tomorrow and hopefully get some more work done over the weekend before grouting & painting.

2nd December

I was out, but my old dear was in to make sure the Viv doors got delivered today.

Low and behold a whole new viv was delivered. My mother had explained to the delivery man that it was another viv, as the other arrived broken. As he goes to take the pallet out the sound of glass is heard. The old dear refuses to take delivery and its marked as broken.

Bad times.

I picked up some plants today though, no one has those clay ball things in stock here so I might just use our drive way chippings. They look pretty nice so i reckon if I clean them up and boil them a few times they should be good to use. Picked up some peat free compost too....

Plant wise I have:

Dragon plant, Spider plant, Yellow Bromeliad, a "lucky" spiral bamboo shoot and a peperomia thingy.

Need some idea's for something that will climb & spread. I can place "inside" the rock wall.

5th December

I finished off putting down my polystyrene base with plant pots and my little bridge. I then moved onto the expanding foam to give it a more natural look and get rid of most of the straight edges before work on grouting begins.

PSN ID: ArranP
Last edited by apmaman at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Looks awesome, but make sure the materials you're using to build the rock wall are safe for the animals. Also make sure the plants are safe for the animals.

Yep.

Really great work though.
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Looks awesome, but make sure the materials you're using to build the rock wall are safe for the animals. Also make sure the plants are safe for the animals.

I've used aquarium grade sealant where possible, but it will all be sealed inside a few layers of tile grout, then painted and sealed with a matt acrylic paint so should be safe enough!

My uncle used to have tons of snakes, lizards....... just everything.

He was breeding rabbits and his 5 foot long monitor lizard turned around and swallowed one whole while my uncle was looking away.

Anyways, he told me he used an old shower stall to keep one of his iguanas.
Quote by metalblaster
My uncle used to have tons of snakes, lizards....... just everything.

He was breeding rabbits and his 5 foot long monitor lizard turned around and swallowed one whole while my uncle was looking away.

Anyways, he told me he used an old shower stall to keep one of his iguanas.

"bosc" monitors tend to do that They are be no means dwarfs though! Yeah I've heard about people converting shower cubicle's for Iguana's as they need so much room that you have to go down the custom route.

You damned fool, you'll kill us all.

Nevermind, a 'vivarium' is apparently just a lizard house.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Last edited by ErikLensherr at Dec 5, 2011,

6th December

I started on the grouting today, and its a pita, but it has to be done. I'm goning do three layers I think to make sure all the expanding foam has been sealed up nice and tight.

My new viv doors are here too. They cost me £35 for them to be custom made from what remained of the original doors which arrived in bits, so thats not too bad I guess.

I have also acquired an Exo Terra digital Thermometer & hydrometer which came today in the post. Also a mini- hand pump for extracting water from the drainage layer. I've siliconed a pipe at the bottom of the viv so its just a case of fitting the pump to the pipe when I need to drain the drainage layer every few months.

Quick pic of the grout drying

I honestly cant understand a good 35% of what you're trying to say in your posts.

Also, If your doors arrived broken there should be some way to take that up with the shipping company, or even the company you bought it from, and get your money back.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by c3powil
I honestly cant understand a good 35% of what you're trying to say in your posts.

Also, If your doors arrived broken there should be some way to take that up with the shipping company, or even the company you bought it from, and get your money back.

The company I bought the original Viv from sent me an entire new one when I told them about the doors being broken as a replacement. That turned out to be smashed as well on arrival.

The company then said it would be unwise to send another, so offered me a full refund which I accepted. Being a clever clogs I just took the doors which were broken from the original viv, pieced them together as best I could then went to a glazier. They made me new doors using the fixtures at £35. So I got a £200 viv for £35.

Everything I have bought so far has been less than the money saved, so technically free in my eyes

The vivarium is looking pretty sweet. Can't wait to see the finished product. I've always wanted a Bearded Dragon, but I live in the dorms here on campus and we aren't allowed to have them.
I keep seeing this as "I'm rebuilding vietnam"

Therefore I think I'll sticky this as I'm planning on getting geckos in the near future.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
I've not done much recently. I have started painting the base layer of grey for the rocks. Needs a few more coats but its getting there.

19th December

Finally "finished"

I wasn't too happy with the black rocks so painted them a textured brown colour. Sealed with a few layers of acrylic clear.

Potted up the plants, put some fake ones in too and the "massive" waterfall. I didn't think it was going to be that big haha! Oh well.

Just gotta find someone to live in it now

Thanks for all the comments, been a fun few weeks!

I think I have spotted the gekko in your last pic.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Looks radical.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Band of Brothers box set. Aww yeah

The vivarium looks pretty damn cool.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥