Okay. I have never installed a pickup into a guitar, so I thought I'd ask for some advice here. I'm looking to put a Dimarzio SD in the bridge of my Vista Squier Jagmaster (2 Humbucker setup, 1 tone, 1 volume, 3 way toggle switch) and I've had a look at the wiring diagrams on Dimarzio's site but I'm still not sure.

I'm relatively competent with a soldering iron, so I'm sure I can do this on my own. Just need to know where each coloured cable goes and whatnot. What are the advantages of doing it in parallel, or in series? It's a 4 conductor pickup (I think).

Cheers
Series = the full, powerful humbucker tone
Parallel = much lower output and a much brighter tone

For Dimarzio pickups the normal way of wiring a humbucker is that the red wire goes to your 3-way switch, the green wire goes to ground and the black and white wires are soldered together and covered in tape. Putting the black and white wires together is what makes the coils of the pickup be wired 'series'. If there is a bare wire (silver), that will also go to ground along with the green wire.
Cheers Levi for that. Clears it up for me.

Quote by grohl1987
Series = the full, powerful humbucker tone
Parallel = much lower output and a much brighter tone

For Dimarzio pickups the normal way of wiring a humbucker is that the red wire goes to your 3-way switch, the green wire goes to ground and the black and white wires are soldered together and covered in tape. Putting the black and white wires together is what makes the coils of the pickup be wired 'series'. If there is a bare wire (silver), that will also go to ground along with the green wire.

Thanks that does help. However, I'm a complete fool with this and haven't actually looked at the insides of my guitar. Few really nooby questions:
What's the ground?
Do I just leave the black and white wires hanging?
Is the 3-way switch the 'hot connection' then?
There is a bare wire, so do I need to solder that together with the green?