I did the search and got a few ideas, checked every pedal on the gear for metal thread which is what this will be for.

I have a VHT Pitbull, its pretty high gain. Currently using a TubeScreamer 808. I like it, I just know there is better out there. Also wondering maybe i should be using a clean boost instead?

I would love a Klon or a Tim, but I just dont think I have that much to spend.

Im really just looking to see what will give the best/tightest sound overall for a boost with a high gain amp.

Here is a little list of what I have already researched and would like to try. But if I missed any please add some more.

JETTER GEAR HELIUM BOOST
Bennett insane gain
Fulltone OCD
Catalinbread WIIO
Green Rhino
Germanium 4
green rhino
the SD-1
Signa Drive by CMATMODS
Gearmanndude's Luther Drive
Rivera Metal Shaman
GODBOX
RC booster
Emma OMP-1 OnoMATOpoeia
GHeffects golddrive or Roadkiller

If you have tried any of these please give a quick reveiw?

Thanks
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at Dec 5, 2011,
I own the OCD and love it. It's very true to what your amp sounds like and is pretty versatile within clean boost to heavy overdrive. I wouldn't call it a distortion by any means but it should suit you fine. It has a huge dynamic range and really responds well to picking nuances. However, I rarely turn the EQ knob past 9 or 10 o clock, 12 being in the middle. It's a very bright pedal and I pair it with a bright and and bright guitar. That being said, it still can sound like my deluxe cranked up with some tweaking,
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Thank you, good description too. Im planning to get a VHT cab after Jan. Right now im using some crappy 7080's. But the amp does sound a little dark so maybe this pedal would be a good fit.
Try to get your hands on a Danelectro Blue or Black Paisley, the Blue being more for classic rock and blues overdrive and the Black being for higher-gain stuff. As far as I know they aren't being made any more, but they are really versatile. The Blue Paisley has a tone switch that alters the mid-range from cut-normal-boost, a volume knob, a drive knob, and two tone knobs. Not for everyone, but it really lets you dial in a unique tone.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
well if you already have a ts808 a fair few of those are based on a ts808
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want ridiculous gain, you can get a motherbucker. Although I'm not sure if that's too over the top or not (it's a 4 coil pickup)
OCD has a flat EQ if you dont want a tonal change, only gain related.

do you want more of an OD or more of a boost?

Suhr koko boost. can boost or add grit. also has EQ i think?
If you're just looking for some boost, you could always try an MXR 10-Band EQ. It has both Volume and Gain sliders, plus you can EQ it how you like, in case the OCD's flat EQ doesn't suit you or if you don't want a pre-set EQ. I just ordered one today for precisely this job.
the green rhino, its a beast. i tried it side by side with a maxon 808 (and every other overdrive at gc) and it definitely won
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Not sure if this was mentioned, but the JHS Morning Glory is fantastic. Very versatile, a reasonable amount of gain on tap, but you could easily use it as a clean boost as well. It can go from super chimey and grimey to fat and warm. They're a bit expensive ($200 new) but a really solid pedal.
i love my OCD, as an OD, but not as a boost. its a great pedal just dont use for a boost.

the green rhino is great.

i really find my MI Audio Blues Pro, there is just something about it. that is what i use for a boost if i am playing something that needs to get boosted.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ikey_
OCD has a flat EQ if you dont want a tonal change, only gain related.

do you want more of an OD or more of a boost?

Suhr koko boost. can boost or add grit. also has EQ i think?

I guess just some boost. Something to tighten it up. I have plenty of gain with my setup. I use the tone and gain both at 0 on my 808.

Want something similar to OCD that wont change o colour your tone at all but makes it tighter.
I've been hearing good things about the Mojo Hand Rook, but have yet to try one in person.
Quote by maddnotez
I guess just some boost. Something to tighten it up. I have plenty of gain with my setup. I use the tone and gain both at 0 on my 808.

Want something similar to OCD that wont change o colour your tone at all but makes it tighter.

how is that going to work? making it tighter normally means cutting bass.

i mean your tubescreamer is probably already doing a pretty good job.

if it's too middy, then that's ok (i find the same thing at times with my ts clone).

Maybe something like a timmy? I say that having not tried the timmy, but i own teh dano cool cat transparent od v1 which is supposedly a cheaper clone.

EDIT: i don't think the ocd works too well as a boost. Again, i say that having not tried it but having owned a clone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Timmy? Can be had new from Paul for $130 IIRC.

Could always look at something a bit different like the Blakemore effects stuff? His two OD's reportedly make excellent clean boosts with tweakable EQ's.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

problem with the timmy is teh wait, not the price
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i mean your tubescreamer is probably already doing a pretty good job.

QUOTE]

it is, but I wanted to try some others.
no worries

as i said, though, just make sure the others you try aren't just glorified tubescreamers
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Once again, the JHS Morning Glory would work great. It can be used as a clean boost, and with the EQ options could definitely be used to tighten up.

Just curious, but if you're leaving the tone on your 808 at zero, wouldn't that be a tad muddy?