So I want to use the slave out on my head to do some recording, and I'm wondering what I can use for a *SAFE* dummy load in place of a speaker cabinet?

I know the THD Hotplate can do this for me, but they're a little expensive and hard to find in my area. What else can I use?
Most of the Weber products are cheaper and will do the same thing. The Load Dump or Mega Dump (lulz) are probably what you're looking for. They've got DI outputs too which may sound better than your amp's preamp out.
You can get them as low as $10 on ebay. There are all kinds. If it were me I would spend the extra to get a better unit.

Or just mic the cab instead.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by maddnotez
You can get them as low as $10 on ebay. There are all kinds. If it were me I would spend the extra to get a better unit.
Those are not dummy loads. They are line level attenuators for use in the amp's loop.
Quote by maddnotez

Or just mic the cab instead.

Those are volume pots for your effects loop. A proper load box will be bare minimum 80 dollars if you get it done by Greeny23 from UG, or 150 if you get a commercially available box.
I think it was him, lemme see if I can find that thread again.

EDIT: Cant find it. Someone, either Greeny or CECAmps build a bright red loadbox with a headphone tap and line out. Was willing to build and ship for $80 each.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Dec 5, 2011,
Good thing there are people like you on here. I almost bought that dummy load, thats not a dummy load.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Those are volume pots for your effects loop. A proper load box will be bare minimum 80 dollars if you get it done by Greeny23 from UG, or 150 if you get a commercially available box.

Nope. It was kylendm.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
You can make a cheap dummy load out of a simple 8 ohm power resistor. But that is only a resistive load. The more expensive boxes have reactive loads. Not sure how big a difference that makes.
If you're using the amp's preamp DI to record with, absolutely none. It's actually better for the amp from a reliability standpoint.